Diabetes UK & Tesco

S

Sable_Jan

I think a lot of you need to take a reality check and accept that Tesco have done an incredible job in raising a huge sum of money for Diabetes UK that is being spent to benefit all diabetics, and regarding a raffle with a prise of chocy biscuits whats the problem with that are they only supposed to raffle things that low carbers eat, yeah they'd really sell a lot of tickets wouldnt they? Most people would prefer to win a treat than a packet of something that s good for them.

Personally I dont care how they raise money and continue to do so, some people on here need to take a step back and realise its not just about them.
An alternative prize might have been nice - the choice of choosing low carb alternatives from the shelves of the store ........

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Yes food vouchers or something ....it just does not look right ...
Great fund raising ...where does all the charity money go and how does it get used ...
I often think that about a lot of charities ....I always like to know
So many charties using supermarkets these days ....really small ones ...i just wish there was some feedback from all charities saying how the money was used ...

These questions may of been discussed ...I have to read all the thread yet ...
I read more about it on FB ....could not share all,the comments here ..that's how I first saw this ...kat

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate it when things like this go viral. Someone has made a mistake. Lets learn from it and move on ..oh wait no, I have a camera phone and this is my oppurtunity to become a social media hero.

Tesco has done a lot for diabetes and my family personally. Cant fault them.

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

K

Kat100

I hate it when things like this go viral. Someone has made a mistake. Lets learn from it and move on ..oh wait no, I have a camera phone and this is my oppurtunity to become a social media hero.

Tesco has done a lot for diabetes and my family personally. Cant fault them.
Hi what happened did you get some help,support , just interested ...hope you don't mind me asking ...
Personal feedback is amazing ..thanks ..kat

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The help wasnt really diabetes related to be honest. My mum worked for them for years and she became very ill and is now severley disabled and will never work again. Theyve given her carer (my dad) a discount card for the rest of her life for all tesco items and helped massively in other areas. I know theyve done a lot of charity work for diabetes charities and non diabetetic ones, just wanted to defend them really.

Reactions: 11 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
For the record, I may have been to a Tescos when I was in Edinburgh in August of 2012 playing in the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo, but it was only once or twice and for sure I did not buy anything remotely healthy. I will be in London next month and I will probably not be going to a Tescos, but you never know - I may pop in if I see one.
Tescos hammersmith the big store, they have a much more diverse range , more ethnic etc go once a month to stock up.

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I am not surprised. Our local Tesco held a raffle for DUK - the prize was a massive basket of chocolate biscuits. I was too scared to buy a ticket in case I won :eek:

The unfortunate thing is that people are more likely to buy a raffle ticket for goodies like this than for a basket of fruit or veg. I used to do a "Christmas Dinner" raffle, and only ever raised £30, when I changed it to a Christmas Sweet raffle, I raised £2000. The sweet raffle was cheaper and easier to put together than the Christmas Dinner.

I would have bought a ticket and hoped to win, not to eat the lovely things all by myself but to share them with family and work colleagues. Besides which, to an extent, as a diabetic, your carbohydrate intake is more likely to cause high blood glucose levels, than sugar items. A few biscuits or a couple of sweets, even a small bar of chocolate will do no harm....everything in moderation we are told.

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Speaking of diabetes.org.uk....(There's lot's of comments on Facebook about this!)

View attachment 12605 View attachment 12606

As someone who goes out there, in the public and raises awareness of diabetes, I actually see nothing wrong with this. It is putting Diabetes out there, in the public domain, it is raising awareness and funds for research. Tesco also do a really good free pack on living with Diabetes, maybe they should put their stand with these beside the banners and raffle stands. There is also public health promotion called "Change4Life" which is trying to get people to swap fizzy drinks for water, but even adults refuse to drink water because they don't like the "taste" of it. I team lead for the Tesco Big collection weekend, and in my local store, they give us a table and chairs next to the danish pastries...buy one get one free (box of 4)...we always laugh about that...and I usually buy 6 boxes each day to offer pastry to each of my team members...

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The unfortunate thing is that people are more likely to buy a raffle ticket for goodies like this than for a basket of fruit or veg. I used to do a "Christmas Dinner" raffle, and only ever raised £30, when I changed it to a Christmas Sweet raffle, I raised £2000. The sweet raffle was cheaper and easier to put together than the Christmas Dinner.

I would have bought a ticket and hoped to win, not to eat the lovely things all by myself but to share them with family and work colleagues. Besides which, to an extent, as a diabetic, your carbohydrate intake is more likely to cause high blood glucose levels, than sugar items. A few biscuits or a couple of sweets, even a small bar of chocolate will do no harm....everything in moderation we are told.
Hi. All carbs will cause blood glucose to rise so sugars have to be treated as just another carb. Also the 'Change4life' food recommendations are no good for diabetics (or anyone?) as they favour carbs and put down fats which is very dated guidance.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll be honest, when I first saw the photos I thought the banners were there as a warning - i.e., we know you're thinking about having this sugar laden stuff, but think about your health!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
As someone who goes out there, in the public and raises awareness of diabetes, I actually see nothing wrong with this. It is putting Diabetes out there, in the public domain, it is raising awareness and funds for research. Tesco also do a really good free pack on living with Diabetes, maybe they should put their stand with these beside the banners and raffle stands. There is also public health promotion called "Change4Life" which is trying to get people to swap fizzy drinks for water, but even adults refuse to drink water because they don't like the "taste" of it. I team lead for the Tesco Big collection weekend, and in my local store, they give us a table and chairs next to the danish pastries...buy one get one free (box of 4)...we always laugh about that...and I usually buy 6 boxes each day to offer pastry to each of my team members...
You may be surprised to learn that pastries, along with Coke and Cadbury products, are unhealthy for most people, but especially type 2 diabetics. Of course, they are hard to resist because these kinds of processed foods are engineered to be addictive.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
o-TESCO-CAKE-DIABETES-570.jpg

K

Kat100

The help wasnt really diabetes related to be honest. My mum worked for them for years and she became very ill and is now severley disabled and will never work again. Theyve given her carer (my dad) a discount card for the rest of her life for all tesco items and helped massively in other areas. I know theyve done a lot of charity work for diabetes charities and non diabetetic ones, just wanted to defend them really.
Thank you for sharing ....

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it makes sense to advertise it next to unhealthy food no? You wouldn't put smoking warnings in the toothpaste aisle?

As a diabetic who works for a chocolate company, this would be more annoying for the brands than Diabetes! Lol.
I think it's a good message, and raises awareness!!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I think it makes sense to advertise it next to unhealthy food no? You wouldn't put smoking warnings in the toothpaste aisle?

As a diabetic who works for a chocolate company, this would be more annoying for the brands than Diabetes! Lol.
I think it's a good message, and raises awareness!!
Sure, except I don't think it was done with that much thought or that intention. I doubt they were trying to dissuade anyone from buying Coke or Cadbury's chocolates.