Finally mastered oopsie bread

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love playing in the kitchen - as does my wife as it means she gets her meals made - but thats an aside

Since being diagnosed T2 I'd read a lot about Oopsie rolls / bread so having bought a mixer, I set out on the journey of Oopsie discovery

First 2 or 3 attempts were a bit dire - even the dog turned his nose up at them, as did the crows when I put them out

Now though, after a lot of trial, I seem to have mastered it

I can see its going to be a regular thing to make and even better - my wife likes them too. I really want to get to the level where I can once again make tasty meals we can both eat together, rather than 1 meal for me and one for her

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What's oopsie bread, not heard of it before :confused:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Recipes Breakfast

Oopsie Bread

TOTAL TIME
35mins
PREP
10 mins
COOK
25 mins
Photo_Video_7782235886094976260981_square.jpg
An alternative for bread if you are eating low carb and diabetic. I saw this recipe on Diet Doctor, and loved it and wanted to share it.

Skip to Next Recipe
INGREDIENTS
3 eggs
  • 1⁄2tablespoon psyllium husks (optional)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Separate the eggs, with the egg whites in one bowl and the egg yolks in another.
  2. Whip the egg whites together with the salt until very stiff. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.
  3. Mix the egg yolks and the cream cheese well. If you choose, add the psyllium seed husk and baking powder (this makes the Oopsie more bread-like).
  4. Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mix – try to keep the air in the egg whites.
  5. Put 6 large or 8 smaller oopsies on a baking tray.
  6. Bake in the middle of the oven at 150° C (300° F) for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.
  7. You can eat Oopsies as bread or use them as a bun for a hotdog or hamburger. You can also put different kinds of seeds on them before baking them, for instance poppy, sesame or sunflower seeds. One big Oopsie can be used for a swiss roll: Add a generous layer of whipped cream and some berries. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wanted to make this before but not a clue where I get the husk stuff... Any suggestions? :)

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recipes Breakfast

Oopsie Bread

TOTAL TIME
35mins
PREP
10 mins
COOK
25 mins
Photo_Video_7782235886094976260981_square.jpg
An alternative for bread if you are eating low carb and diabetic. I saw this recipe on Diet Doctor, and loved it and wanted to share it.

Skip to Next Recipe
INGREDIENTS
eggs
  • 1⁄2tablespoon psyllium husks (optional)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Separate the eggs, with the egg whites in one bowl and the egg yolks in another.
  2. Whip the egg whites together with the salt until very stiff. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.
  3. Mix the egg yolks and the cream cheese well. If you choose, add the psyllium seed husk and baking powder (this makes the Oopsie more bread-like).
  4. Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mix – try to keep the air in the egg whites.
  5. Put 6 large or 8 smaller oopsies on a baking tray.
  6. Bake in the middle of the oven at 150° C (300° F) for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.
  7. You can eat Oopsies as bread or use them as a bun for a hotdog or hamburger. You can also put different kinds of seeds on them before baking them, for instance poppy, sesame or sunflower seeds. One big Oopsie can be used for a swiss roll: Add a generous layer of whipped cream and some berries. Enjoy.

Thank you for the recipe, bread is one of my weaknesses so I will give this a go. How many eggs do you use?

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Found this slightly different version :-

Oopsie Rolls

Print
Prep/Rest
20 mins
Cook time
40 mins
Total time
1 hour

Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Low Carb
Yield: makes 6 oopsie rolls
Ingredients
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 3 large eggs
  • ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 3 ounces (100m grams) full-fat cream cheese, cold, cubed
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
  2. Separate the eggs, making sure no yolk gets into the whites and placing the whites in a clean, non-greasy bowl.
  3. Using a clean, non-greasy electric whisk, whip the egg whites and the cream of tartar until stiff.
  4. In a separate bowl, use the same whisk to whisk together the yolks, cream cheese and salt, until smooth.
  5. Using a spatula, carefully fold the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture, working in batches. Work by placing a mound of egg whites on top of the yolk mixture, then gently fold the yolk mixture from under and over the egg whites, rotating the bowl, again and again until the mixture is incorporated. You want to use the folding technique because you want to keep the air bubbles intact in the egg whites.
  6. Spoon 6 large mounds of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Gently press with a spatula on the top of each mound to flatten just slightly.
    oopsies-unbaked.jpg
  7. Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden-brown.
    oopsies-baked.jpg
  8. Cool a couple of minutes on the cookie sheet, then gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store leftovers in a slightly open Ziploc bag in the fridge for a couple of days.

Notes
The original lucky mistake that resulted in oopsie rolls was made by Kimber fromYour Lighter Side.

Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 1 oopsie roll; Calories: 91.3 Total Fat: 8.1 g Saturated fat: 3.6 gCarbohydrates: 0.8 g Sugars: 0.6 g Sodium: 124 mg Fiber: 0 g Protein: 4.2 g

Here’s a burger sandwich made with oopsie rolls:
oopsie-sandwich.jpg

Reactions: 8 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't use psyllium husk principally because its just too expensive for 'regular' use ( £12 for 340 grams)

I use ground milled flaxseed which actually makes it more of a 'bread' consistency. Also, I don't make mine round but rather I drop half an inch of mix into the bays on an oiled non-stick brownie tin and each rise up to about double height whilst they cook making each 'brownie' about 3" long by 1 1/2" wide by 1" thick.

Cut in half (height wise) each makes for an excellent base similar in size to a piece of toast cut in half

Perfect base for cheese on 'toast', not forgetting the Worcestershire sauce, obviously ;)

So far today I've made both a plain batch and one with grated parmesan cheese in the mix (a nice dry non oily cheese, just for playing sake)

My recipe is different from those shown above and includes less cream cheese, more eggs and also home made powdered nuts (cashews / walnuts) as I used to like the Mediterranean- style walnut loaves when I made bread (yup, I still make it for my wife), and also less cooking time - mine cook in 20 mins at Gas 3

I mix the egg whites (4) in a mixer at high speed with a sachet (6gr) of creme of tartar

The yolks go into another bowl with a pinch of salt, 2 heaped desert spoons of powdered nuts, a heaped desert spoon of Quark cream cheese and another full egg

When the second bowl is mixed, it goes into the bowl with the whisked stiff egg whites in, together with a good 2 tablespoons of ground milled flazseed.

Rather than "carefully folding the mix in by hand" I just set the mixer going on its slowest setting for about a minute.

Then into the brownie tin and into an oven, middle shelf, Gas Mark 3 for 20 mins or so.

After 20 mins or thereabouts, I switch off the oven but leave the brownie tray in until its comfortable to remove by hand; tip out the Oopsies, place on a mesh grill shelf to cool fully for about half an hour, then into a tupperware box into the fridge.

I tried the 'greaseproof paper' but it didn't work for me - the non stick brownie tin works a lot better and the good heat transfer means a firm well cooked base after they're tipped out.

The practise I enjoy and will be a regular thing now, especially when I finish the ND.

I'm pretty sure from what my guineapig taste tester (wife) said; that the savoury ones will be ideal for cheese on toast, marmite and the like, and the plain ones will be perfect for marmalade or jam (in moderation, obviously)

Reactions: 5 people

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I wanted to make this before but not a clue where I get the husk stuff... Any suggestions? :)
I've just ordered 1kg from Amazon @ £10.76, it is expensive but if you only need 1/2 tbsp it should last a while.

DD

mischief123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am definitely going to try this. Been to see Diabetic nurse today sugars down to 5.3. some years ago they were 13. Lost 2stone on low carb diet and trying for more. Can't eat bread now as it upsets my stomachs but oh how I do miss it. I allow myself occasionally one small new potatoe. Again something I miss.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made some today. Although the recipe I used said only cook 10mins at 180. They tasted odd. An eggy fluffy mix. Almost kind of bubbly. Not a fan. I even tried baking more to no benefit, flattening them and toasting them which helped reduce the bubble feeling a bit.

Did I do something wrong or is this how they should be ?