Diabetes, Ulcerative Colitis, and the LCHF Diet

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More good news... colitis flare is reversing. Significantly less blood, more mucus now. To adhere strictly to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), which has always worked for me, I had to give up my chocolate, and I chose to give up coffee for now too. Replaced the chocolate with 6 blueberries, one to two times a day, and the coffee with black tea. Miss both, but it's not been that bad. Mostly feeling relieved...

I'm starting to learn more about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and the many different types of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD). I'm beginning to explore the SCDLifestyle website and the founder's other website SolvingLeakyGut. I like what I'm reading, also many of their podcasts, so I'm planning to buy all of their e-books. I'll have to save for it first. My budget blown for now. And I need to read what I've bought so far, before adding more reading material.

For now, they're giving me a lot to think about through their free information on their websites.

I've been listening to a lot of lectures this week, mostly at The Diabetes Summit. And I was reminded once again what a "bad boy" gluten is for many of us.

Tom O'Bryan, host of The Gluten Summit in 2012, says that anyone who has an autoimmune disorder likely had celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity first, and that the latter can be present for 30 years before it becomes a significant problem. And it's not just that gut that's affected, the brain is too, as well as other parts of the body.

Another thing he said is that FODMAP intolerances, not necessarily non-celiac gluten sensitivity, are often the cause of gastrointestinal problems, which really shocked me, but it makes sense. I've been told repeatedly that 60% of those with non-celiac gluten sensitivity do not experience gastrointestinal symptoms when exposed to gluten. I'm one of those 60%. This is both good and bad. While I don't become ill following an unintentional exposure to gluten, I also have no way of knowing when it happens. Dr. O'Bryan said that all it takes is an amount of gluten one-eight the size of our thumbnail to reactivate the immune system's attack on our body, and that it continues for three to six months. This is one of the ways people get type 1 diabetes.

He also reported on a 2012 report from the UK in which a young boy was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The parents did some research and asked the doctor if removing gluten from their son's diet could reverse the diabetes. The clinic also treated children who don't tolerate gluten, and we're just starting a study, so added him to the study, put the boy on insulin, and helped the family remove gluten from the boy's diet. Incredibly, the doctors were able to stop the treatment with insulin within, I think, 6 weeks. The boy has continued on his gluten-free diet and has not required insulin for two years now.

The other thing I'm learning is that IBS and IBD is like diabetes. Medication helps only so much. Diet is the best way to manage it over time. But there's multiple contributors to these conditions - (including SIBO, gluten, FODMAPS, etc.) - so it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what the problems are and then how to best address them. The guys on the SCDLifestyle website have done a lot of that work for us. It's a good website to explore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Carlaj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for my delayed reply. I can't thank you all enough for these replies! I haven't been online for a while but this has just been great and the boost I needed.
When you get out of hospital, are left to your own devices have to learn a new life with two issues and cope with the fact you may have to give up a job you love everything becomes overwhelming.
Think a UC flare is on its way too.
The dietician didn't know what to do with me. The two diets are very different and I have been trying to mix and match but in all honesty. Not coping too well so all the information you have given me has been amazing and I can't thank you enough. Going to get my research cap on later and have a look through all of this properly,
For those of you who have UC I currently take ciclosporin, Aza, predisamol, septrin, omerpraxol, calcium tablets......
Thank you again xxxxx

KPJ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Winnie I was diagnosed with U/C 50 years ago and type 2 Diabetes about 14 years in the early years the U/C was a bit of a problem it seems to have calmed down since I retired I take metformin for the diabetes and I have an annual colonoscopy for the U/C I also take 1 multibionia tablet a day and the spread II use for bread etc is the type with probotic cultures in I eat REASONABLY heathy I am in my 74 th year so I must have got something right.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Sorry for my delayed reply. I can't thank you all enough for these replies! I haven't been online for a while but this has just been great and the boost I needed.
When you get out of hospital, are left to your own devices have to learn a new life with two issues and cope with the fact you may have to give up a job you love everything becomes overwhelming.
The dietician didn't know what to do with me. The two diets are very different and I have been trying to mix and match but in all honesty. Not coping too well so all the information you have given me has been amazing and I can't thank you enough. Going to get my research cap on later and have a look through all of this properly,
For those of you who have UC I currently take ciclosporin, Aza, predisamol, septrin, omerpraxol, calcium tablets......
Thank you again xxxxx
Ahhhh... poor wee thing... my goodness you have a lot to cope with honey..... All I can do is repeat that I have only had one small flare since October when I started Low Carb High Fat... and I take Symprove every day to put the bugs back that I lose... I am so well I have to keep touching wood... :) I haven't been this well for about 50 years... :eek: Am I really that old? Time flies... :) Good luck with it all...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi, Winnie I was diagnosed with U/C 50 years ago and type 2 Diabetes about 14 years in the early years the U/C was a bit of a problem it seems to have calmed down since I retired I take metformin for the diabetes and I have an annual colonoscopy for the U/C I also take 1 multibionia tablet a day and the spread II use for bread etc is the type with probotic cultures in I eat REASONABLY heathy I am in my 74 th year so I must have got something right.
You can manage bread? It causes my UC terrible problems.. :) That's why low-carbing is such a good idea for me... have to avoid too much flax and nuts, but I'm good on it... For probiotics I have Sypmprove every morning... I'm doing very well on it too... :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you again xxxxx

Welcome Carlaj! Hoping you're well on your way to feeling better soon and will be able to keep your job.

In addition to the SCDLifestyle.com website, I also like this website... http://www.ihaveuc.com/ Many people with UC have shared their stories there too. Here's Adam's story - (it's his website)... http://www.ihaveuc.com/about-the-site/ And here's a video of his journey back from a flare over a period of a week or so... http://www.ihaveuc.com/the-colitis-flare-beat-down-party-getting-out-of-my-flare/

It's a tricky business having more than one chronic health condition. I hope you'll continue to update us on how you're doing and what you're learning. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

KPJ, it's encouraging to hear how well you're doing. Fortunately, I see that Multibionta specializes in probiotics. How long have you been taking a probiotic? Have you had a mix of good and bad experiences? What type of diet works best for you? For now, I'm eating yogurt with active cultures. I haven't tried a probiotic yet. I think I'd like to learn how to make and eat fermented foods first.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
KPJ, it's encouraging to hear how well you're doing. Fortunately, I see that Multibionta specializes in probiotics. How long have you been taking a probiotic? Have you had a mix of good and bad experiences? What type of diet works best for you? For now, I'm eating yogurt with active cultures. I haven't tried a probiotic yet. I think I'd like to learn how to make and eat fermented foods first.
Good morning Winnie... I read a blog on fermented foods and after two years the guy who was running it decided to stop altogether; his diabetes suffered and his gut eventually rebelled... Symprove is the best thing, in fact, it seems, the only thing that puts your bacteria back... it's expensive - around £10 a week I think, but well worth it if you can manage it... Three months on it has put me almost right now... I ordered it from Amazon and got one month free... We seem to suffer from high colonisation of Candida, fed by carbs, so LCHF starts the process of eliminiation to begin with... the info on Candida over-breeding is really interesting... :) How are you now? I hope you're well today... what is the weather like where you are - do you have the high winds? Have you any damage? Susi...

DaiseyMae

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Winnie53
I was diagnoses with Ulcerative Colitis 47 years ago and shortly afterwards Type 1. After 5 years of trying and failing badly to control the UC and also get some reasonable level of control of Glucose levels I had my Colon removed, because a biopsy show a change in the cells and as my father had died with bowel cancer and other extended members of my family I made that decision.
The upside was this enabled me to have a better control of Glucose levels. I've tried many diets none of which, are totally successful because when UC is in the mix there are so many different foods which cause problems, even when the problem colon is removed there are still some dietary problems to consider.
I found the only thing that helped was to make a list of the foods I could eat which caused the least problems and then devised my own diet around these. Counting carbs, keeping them as low as possible without upsetting what is left of my digestive system. I also eat six small meals a day, with a intake of 220 cals per meal approx. 1300 cals per day plus a dissolvable multi-vitamin per day.
I also try to do between 5-7 hrs of exercise per week. when I was young I did more exercise.
I am now in my early 70's and have reasonable control of my glucose levels, am reasonably fit and healthy.
I think the best advise I can give you is to start with what you can eat without upsetting things and then adjust accordingly. Its very much trial and error.
Regards

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks DaiseyMae. I'm eating normally. The only change I made was to eliminate a few foods that are "illegal" on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I think, so long as I don't eat anything irritating, I'll continue to improve. It usually takes a few weeks or months. I agree with Susikav, the LCHF diet works well for my pre-UC condition too. My father and aunt both had UC, my father had extensive surgeries beginning at age 3, so I take it very seriously. I'm very lucky in that I've only had 3 bouts with UC symptoms in 25 years. It's encouraging that you're doing so well! :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm not familiar with Acacia Fiber, but I did find reviews on it...

http://www.ibstales.com/acacia-fiber.htm

There was one reference to diabetes. The brother and sister thought it helped them manage their blood glucose better.
Winnie, I've just realised, stupidly, I am taking mesalazine at the moment - Asacol - and using the suppositories as well.... they're anti-inflammatories aren't they? Huge doses right now... I have seen several posts saying that it will put your numbers up.... Do you suppose the ones that only act in your bowel can affect your BG as well as ibuprofen, which acts in the stomach?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anti-inflammatories can definitely affect blood glucose and from personal experience, the method of dosing doesn't have to be oral - injection, suppository - all affect me.

Reactions: 3 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Susikav, I'm going to defer to Indy. I did a quick search on "mesalazine glucose", and read information that supports yours and Indy's comments.

I'm going to park a link to an article here that's unrelated though there are references to mesalazine... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3974517/ Toward the end of it, there's mention of metformin causing negative effects for those who have ulcerative colitis. Need to read it again when I'm not so tired...

"Metformin, and in particular the increase in dosage of this drug, is often burdened with gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, abdominal pain. These symptoms are usually dose-related and occur especially at the beginning of therapy. In 3%-5% of cases, diarrhea may be persistent and cause discontinuation of the drug." Then in the conclusions... "Moreover, the potential negative effects of metformin and the beneficial effects of thiazolidinediones on symptoms of UC in remission, should be considered."

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anti-inflammatories can definitely affect blood glucose and from personal experience, the method of dosing doesn't have to be oral - injection, suppository - all affect me.
Thank you Winnie.. I feel much better now... :) My high fasting numbers were bothering
Susikav, I'm going to defer to Indy. I did a quick search on "mesalazine glucose", and read information that supports yours and Indy's comments.

I'm going to park a link to an article here that's unrelated though there are references to mesalazine... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3974517/ Toward the end of it, there's mention of metformin causing negative effects for those who have ulcerative colitis. Need to read it again when I'm not so tired...

"Metformin, and in particular the increase in dosage of this drug, is often burdened with gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, abdominal pain. These symptoms are usually dose-related and occur especially at the beginning of therapy. In 3%-5% of cases, diarrhea may be persistent and cause discontinuation of the drug." Then in the conclusions... "Moreover, the potential negative effects of metformin and the beneficial effects of thiazolidinediones on symptoms of UC in remission, should be considered."
My poor little mum has had her metformin increased yet again - she is fragile now and throwing up every morning... I cannot make my sister - her carer - understand that she needs to be given something else - my mother was never overweight to begin with and she's shrinking daily... My family think I am evangelical about diabetes now I have it, I'm sure.... :) I have been reading more and more about the relationship between hypothyroidism, which I have, UC, which I have and diabetes 2, which I have... genetic it seems, and pure bad luck... so much UC in my family.... interesting, isn't it? But it doesn't make it much easier to deal with - apart from the good effects of LCHF... The architects of GM wheat, millions of years ago, really did us no favours at all, did they? If we eat Paleo as much as possible we can lose the 'modern' diseases with luck... How to make people listen? I can't even make my family take it seriously, even the sufferers - they are so young still - I wonder if I would have listened? If the guys on the forum can't get past the DN's or doctors, what chance is there of change? I'm sure we are controlled entirely by the large pharmaceuticals... look at all the articles on DCUK - all centred around meters and testing....they are not concerned with helping people, it's money in their pockets, and little concern for the truth of things... happily, it does some good in spite of them... I hope you get some rest... why are you so tired? Not sleeping well?

G

gemma6549

Can I just ask if anyone gets bad skin when they are going through a bad patch with this?

I never get spots but ever since this has been going on I'm inundated!

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can I just ask if anyone gets bad skin when they are going through a bad patch with this?

I never get spots but ever since this has been going on I'm inundated!
I never had spots in my life till I was 33, then big, red lumps started appearing on my face... not often and not many, but still.... it co-incided with a bad patch too... I think if your bowel isn't working properly you don't get goodness from what you're eating and you also don't evacuate the toxins so well either... also, just a thought, if you're low-carbing you are eating more fat than normal... if that's what it is, I'm sure your body will adjust to it... I don't know, if it's not one thing...... :)

G

gemma6549

I never had spots in my life till I was 33, then big, red lumps started appearing on my face... not often and not many, but still.... it co-incided with a bad patch too... I think if your bowel isn't working properly you don't get goodness from what you're eating and you also don't evacuate the toxins so well either... also, just a thought, if you're low-carbing you are eating more fat than normal... if that's what it is, I'm sure your body will adjust to it... I don't know, if it's not one thing...... :)

I don't eat any fat, or very little if I do so I'm hoping it's the former like you said, my body not getting the goodness and being generally run down.

I'm hoping that's it anyway so that should I get better they disappear too!!

Did yours clear once you had gotten through the bad patch?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Suskikav, I live in a time zone that's 8 hours earlier than the UK time zone. Midnight here is 8 a.m. in the UK. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
gemma6549, good to see you. How are things going?

Susikav, I'm going to be away from the forum for about twelve hours today, though I may be able to drop by briefly. Your mother's circumstances are concerning. :(

G

gemma6549

gemma6549, good to see you. How are things going?

Susikav, I'm going to be away from the forum for about twelve hours today, though I may be able to drop by briefly. Your mother's circumstances are concerning. :(

I'm not doing too badly thanks, how are you?

Spots are annoying me and i'm still really tired and swollen but i'm getting 2-3 days a week without toilet issues!! so looks like the plain food/ liquid diet is helping for now :)