High readings!

Owl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am supposedly prediabetic. I bought a meter and have had good readings until yesterday. Went for a Chinese meal for my son's birthday and had 11.2 result 2 hours after meal. Tonight had salad with burgen bread, cheese and red onion chutney toastie with a 2 hour result of 9.6. Does this mean I now type 2 diabetic?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am supposedly prediabetic. I bought a meter and have had good readings until yesterday. Went for a Chinese meal for my son's birthday and had 11.2 result 2 hours after meal. Tonight had salad with burgen bread, cheese and red onion chutney toastie with a 2 hour result of 9.6. Does this mean I now type 2 diabetic?
Hi, I don't know when you were diagnosed Pre Diabetic, but bear in mind these figures are a snap shot in time. Diabetes, is usually diagnosed when you have an HbA1c of 48 or more and that would be an average of your blood sugars over the last 2/3 months. 48 = 6.5mmol/l as an average

It's clearly something you have to watch, I was Pre Diabetic and then went and got diagnosed borderline. but now I have switched to a Low Carb High Fat Diet, I am out of the diabetic range.

You need to check your fasting, I'm not sure but anything over 7mmol/l on a regular basis would be classed as diabetic.

I can only manage 1 slice of bread at a time even if it's the burgen.

Do you have any weight to lose because that can help.

I'm off to bed now but please ask as many questions as you want.

Neil

Owl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I don't know when you were diagnosed Pre Diabetic, but bear in mind these figures are a snap shot in time. Diabetes, is usually diagnosed when you have an HbA1c of 48 or more and that would be an average of your blood sugars over the last 2/3 months. 48 = 6.5mmol/l as an average

It's clearly something you have to watch, I was Pre Diabetic and then went and got diagnosed borderline. but now I have switched to a Low Carb High Fat Diet, I am out of the diabetic range.

You need to check your fasting, I'm not sure but anything over 7mmol/l on a regular basis would be classed as diabetic.

I can only manage 1 slice of bread at a time even if it's the burgen.

Do you have any weight to lose because that can help.

I'm off to bed now but please ask as many questions as you want.

Neil
Thanks for that. My fasting so far has been 6.1 or 6.2 mmol. I was just worried about the post meal readings.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you get the odd higher than normal (for you) readings then it's generally because you're eating something sugary or starchy, e.g. noodles or bread. But two such results don't prove or disprove anything, it's just an indication that you probably need to avoid or reduce portion sizes for those particular foods in future. But it's for your doctor to diagnose you - we can only advise you.

Robbity

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
any reading over 11.1 at 2 hr or random is an indicator of diabetes.
you fasting is in the prediabetic and I would want mine lower
I would really need to change my diet before I become a diabetic. it's good that you have a meter and most here aim to not exceed 8
I would cut the major carbs, rice - flour product/pasta/bread - potato - sugary stuff including fruit juice

Reactions: 6 people

Owl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your replies. I obviously need to watch the carb intake.:(

I was diagnosed pre-diabetic about 16 months ago. I won't be checked again until November/December. I don't have any weight to lose (8st 4lb and 5ft 1in). My mother was undiagnosed type 2 and died at 49 of a heart attack. One of my brothers had a mini-stroke after which it was discovered that he is type 2. Hence my concern to make sure I keep an eye on my blood sugars.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I was diagnosed pre-diabetic about 16 months ago. I won't be checked again until November/December. I don't have any weight to lose (8st 4lb and 5ft 1in). My mother was undiagnosed type 2 and died at 49 of a heart attack. One of my brothers had a mini-stroke after which it was discovered that he is type 2. Hence my concern to make sure I keep an eye on my blood sugars.
Yep, you've really answered your own question. I'm sorry to hear of diabetes in your family but it can spur you on to do like me -- cut the carbs and up the fat. Like me you're already at the weight you want so we just balance it with fat intake. Bit more cream, bit less, really. (I hope you don't still think you're a fraud -- that's not allowed here ;).)
Many of us treat Chinese as a no-no at first until we test for different combinations of dish.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Whilst you are pretty much bang in the middle of the BMI healthy range, you could find your blood scores improve, if you trimmed a smidge.

There is work by Professor Taylor, at Newcastle, who talks about the "personal fat threshold" each individual has, and it's correlation to glucose/insulin regulation. He has also recently published a paper for T2 in normal weight folks. Link here: http://www.clinsci.org/cs/128/0405/cs1280405.htm It's not too technical, so we'll, well worth the read, for you, I'd say.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

if you don't have weight to lose, you need to get your head around having fat in your diet is a good thing, which normally you get a few months of dieting first to adjust to the idea that the last 50years was wrong

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/How-To-Overcome-Fat-Phobia.htm

American diabetic association
Position Statement
http://www.professional.diabetes.org/admin/UserFiles/0 - Sean/dc132042 FINAL.pdf
Evidence is inconclusive for an ideal amount of total fat intake for people with diabetes;
therefore, goals should be individualized; fat quality appears to be far more important than quantity.
In people with type 2 diabetes, a Mediterranean-style, MUFA-rich [mono fat-rich] eating pattern may benefit glycemic control and CVD risk factors and can therefore be recommended as an effective alternative to a lower-fat, higher-carbohydrate eating pattern.

Owl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your informative replies. This forum is such a good thing. I have a lot to think about, not least changing my decades long idea of a "healthy" vegetarian diet. Thanks again.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you can do low carb veggi, there are a few here. @Indy51 but meat proteins and fats makes it easier and it doesn't need to be every meal. start with real butter :)