Mandatory Meter & Strips - NHS Choose GlucoRX

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good news ! :D

That's just plain nuts about the lancets though , cheese paring at it's worst :( what lancing device do you usually use ?

Signy

tizzy

Just to open a can of worms I was given the gluco Rx as chosen by my gp and when I saw the dn she gave me a free style insulinx to carb count with my bgs levels went from high teens to 10s I jockedand said to her I'm cured she replied the gluco was cheep and nasty and they were receiving a lot of complaints about them however one of the meters I kept as I had test strips left is consistently the same as the free style the brick of a monitor hurts like hell when you drop it on your foot but I did ring them and was given a couple of slim ones I did like my pink monitors though but can't use them now

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi,

I have just been handed this same machine, I haven't used it and I hate it already. After 38 years of T1 diabetes, I have just about been lucky with choosing the BG meter and strips - up until now that is.

GlucoRX nexus is whole lot a bulkier, heavier meter, the only description that comes to mind is Brick! I want my Accu-chek nano and One Step Ultra Easy back :(

But on top of all that, I use the Omnipod pump which takes Freestyle strips and I have been denied this also.

I have been given only half the normal amount of monthly testing strips for the new meter and they will not put on this repeats either - what is going on - seriously?

I feel I am going back to the dark ages.

(Sorry I just come back from the GP having been handed this silly replacement meter and am so so so not happy and felt I needed to vent somewhere :mad:)

They cannot stop strips for a pump tester with omnipod.

Our practice tried to with me. I told them if they took away my strips for my pump they were leaving me a machine that was useless.
If there is a cause for using a specific strip for a pump then they cannot remove it from your prescription.
Write it, not phone to the Practice Manager.

Reactions: 2 people

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've recently seen my consultant who told me that as I have Type 1 I must be able to use the test strips that I feel suit me and my lifestyle best - to say nothing about the fact that my Accu-chek Combo pump handset uses accu-chek Aviva test strips, so its useless without them ....

For those of you that don't manage to argue your way out of using the GlucoRx I've actually been using it for a while now (long story - I'm not currently using my pump handset, although I will be when I'm switched to the new Insight pump, and my consultant has written a suitably 'forthright' letter to my GP stating what supplies I will be needing for the new pump!).

As regards the GlucoRx - once I stopped comparing results with my old meter I found it was fine. I hated the new meter on sight, so phoned the rep and asked to be sent the smaller version. I actually found it uses less blood than my accu-check Aviva strips? Re lancets, I've always just bought my own, mainly because I'd run out and forget to order them from my GP. As they're not that dear I'm quite happy to carry on doing this.

I'd just like to add that I absolutely love my GP, he's a real poppet. I fully agree that the NHS has to make savings somewhere - but why oh why us poor Type 1's, don't we have enough problems?? As I told a previous GP, I'm not stabbing my fingers just for fun! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good news ! :D

That's just plain nuts about the lancets though , cheese paring at it's worst :( what lancing device do you usually use ?

Signy

I used to use the Accu chek soft clix plus which worked well with me but now I have no choice and use the GlucoRx Lancets (but am cheating and using the One Touch lancing device as the GlucoRx lancets fits perfectly in there)

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi, New to the forum, hope I'm posting in the correct area.

For the past 2 years I have been quite happy using my Accu-Chek Aviva Nano, its small, light, blacklit display, solid and easy to use. :)

Now my GP has said the NHS is changing the use of Meters and test strips and have chosen GlucoRX, so I will no longer be able to have Accu-Chek testing strips. :(

Not only is the GlucoRX nexus a bulky meter, it takes 2 AAA batteries making it heavier, the test strips wobble in the test slot and it took three attempts and a larger quantity of blood to get it to register. (I find it hard even on full jab to get blood out of my fingers) :cry:

Its also like going back to the older days, I remember my Grandmother had to put individual lancets in the lancer and replace it after each use. This takes time, my Accu-Chek had a FastClix Lancer with 6 lancets in each cartridge. It also worked first time with a smaller amount of blood, the test strips just draw it up.

Is it really mandatory/compulsory?

Many Thanks.
don't see why you can't use your old finger pricker as all your doing is taking blood or have I got it wrong???