Safe fruit

davidob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi guys can anyone suggest a fruit that won't send my blood sugar through the roof

Reactions: 2 people

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find berries pretty good - particularly raspberries. Also rhubarb, if, like me, you like it unsugared :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
The only fruit I eat are blue berries , strawberries and lemons

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants, always with double cream to be on the safe side.

Reactions: 23 people
C

catherinecherub

The answer is to test and see.
Temperate fruits are usually better than tropical ones and eaten as part of a meal, rather than a snack, will get the best results.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with testing and seeing.

It also helps to slip in an indulgence at the end of a good meal, especially if it is high fat or high fibre, since both of them seem to slow down absorbtion.

Another trick that I have recently learned is that the loooonnnnngggggeeerrr the meal is, the better my secondary insulin release seems to mop up the glucose.

So if I eat at 6, then have a late pud at around 8, I will have a lesser spike from the fruit in the pud than if I had eaten it immediately after my main course. But then, I suppose you could argue that I had one small meal at 6 and one small meal at 8, and...

OK, I am clearly waffling.
Try it and see whether it works for you. :)

Reactions: 12 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So if I eat at 6, then have a late pud at around 8, I will have a lesser spike from the fruit in the pud than if I had eaten it immediately after my main course.
Absolutely. So I'm aiming to start eating at say 7am every day and carry on at half-hour intervals until 10pm. I figure I'll have another couple of happy years and then explode like Mr Creosote.

Reactions: 26 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely. So I'm aiming to start eating at say 7am every day and carry on at half-hour intervals until 10pm. I figure I'll have another couple of happy years and then explode like Mr Creosote.

I am impressed with your total comprehension of my strategy!
Clearly a man of superior understanding. :)

I certainly didn't get where I am today by eating rabbit food and fasting for long periods... ;)!

Sorry @davidob - that was unnecessarily frivolous, and off topic.
My serious answer reverts to 'test it and see, hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised!'

Reactions: 6 people

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm okay with apples, and I believe pears are similar (don't like pears anyway). The softer, and more tropical the fruit the higher they spike your sugar. So berries that grow in our moderate climate tend to be ok. My DN recommends a portion size of berries to be what fits in the palm of your hand. The hard fruits like apples although they are around 18g carbs do burn up energy just digesting them. Just don't go down the smoothie route - you get all the sugar but not the benefits of having to use your own digestive system.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss oranges :-(
I still eat an orange every day - about 11g carbs but the type of fibre works well for me. It's really a matter of testing - and definitely eat it as part of a meal containing fat and protein as well.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think T2's and fruit/fructose don't mix, it loads the liver up too much
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybOPCB2Qd4
upload_2015-3-30_13-46-44.png
upload_2015-3-30_13-47-3.png
upload_2015-3-30_13-47-24.png

Reactions: 4 people

Lilipod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys can anyone suggest a fruit that won't send my blood sugar through the roof
Any fruit including bananas and blueberries but top tip always have with natural yogurt as it slows the release of your blood glucose. However mangoes are a no go. Cheeries are excellent in small amounts.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any fruit including bananas and blueberries but top tip always have with natural yogurt as it slows the release of your blood glucose. However mangoes are a no go. Cheeries are excellent in small amounts.
there is another table[i forgot the name] where yogurt releases more insulin than it needs

mattzuma

I eat loads of fruit and do loads of exercise so burn the sugar off. When I exercise more then I can stuff my face with cake! Problem solved. :)

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS not one comment about exercise in this thread.
That's because the title is "safe fruit"! The OP isn't asking about exercise. Exercise doesn't always lower BG's. It often puts mine up, so I find it's best to stick with berries and lay off the cake altogether, unless it's low carb of course.

Reactions: 14 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's because the title is "safe fruit"! The OP isn't asking about exercise. Exercise doesn't always lower BG's. It often puts mine up, so I find it's best to stick with berries and lay off the cake altogether, unless it's low carb of course.

I'm glad to see someone say this...I too find that exercise seems to raise my blood sugar...any idea why this could be?

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think blueberries are pretty much the only fruit that has little or no effect on my BG...most of the time.