Update on Newcastle shake 'mix'

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps if you are so determined a trial of a week to start?

I think a week is probably not enough but I may not need the 8 weeks; depends on the weight loss and what the shakes do to my glucose. If my BG doesn't come down I will try with home made smoothies, salads etc (I may only do 2 shakes a day anyway and 400 calories from fat and vegetables, I will see what I think when I start). I will be seeing week by week how it goes and you can be sure I will stop if I feel it is bad for me. However, 800 calories at my weight is far more than it would be for all of you who need to lose a lot of weight!

I need to feel OK to handle my stallions so can't afford to be ill and shaky!!!! My sig picture stallion will soon play up if he thinks he can.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got off on the wrong foot, I missed the quote mark and thought you were 4 weeks into it:(........... Moonchip "I'm into week 4 now and since last week my 'morning' first shake of the day as well as the powdered mix my shake now contains :

I know you were looking at it a while ago and thought you had started.
I understand you want the official result from the DR and it makes sense

No pal, you're correct - i have started it> I started it the same day I handed all the ND research to my Doc ....... he phoned me 2 days later to approve trying it

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think a week is probably not enough but I may not need the 8 weeks; depends on the weight loss and what the shakes do to my glucose. If my BG doesn't come down I will try with home made smoothies, salads etc (I may only do 2 shakes a day anyway and 400 calories from fat and vegetables, I will see what I think when I start). I will be seeing week by week how it goes and you can be sure I will stop if I feel it is bad for me. However, 800 calories at my weight is far more than it would be for all of you who need to lose a lot of weight!

I need to feel OK to handle my stallions so can't afford to be ill and shaky!!!! My sig picture stallion will soon play up if he thinks he can.

Sorry @Arab Horse I am now confused. You have mentioned the radiologist said your scan was normal. As @jack412 queried you said something about being in week 4 of shakes? You have not replied to @Indy51's question about testing for type 1.5, @nomistheman has also expressed concern yet you seem determined to follow this route regardless.

As you rightly state, ND works for those with a lot of weight to lose, probably because it removes excess visceral fat and resolves fatty liver, of which you have neither.

I really wish you well, and as much as I advocate ND as a T2 reversal tool, I do not feel able to support you in your choice of this for your personal circumstances. I hope I am wrong, but I worry that you could make yourself very ill.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
QUOTE="moonchip, post: 813859, member: 162834"]
This is why life is simpler when I only do explicitly what my wife tells me to do .......:D:D:D[/QUOTE]

Wish my husband would!!!!!

Sorry @Arab Horse I am now confused. You have mentioned the radiologist said your scan was normal. As @jack412 queried you said something about being in week 4 of shakes? You have not replied to @Indy51's question about testing for type 1.5, @nomistheman has also expressed concern yet you seem determined to follow this route regardless.

As you rightly state, ND works for those with a lot of weight to lose, probably because it removes excess visceral fat and resolves fatty liver, of which you have neither.

I really wish you well, and as much as I advocate ND as a T2 reversal tool, I do not feel able to support you in your choice of this for your personal circumstances. I hope I am wrong, but I worry that you could make yourself very ill.

Pipp, I feel I have explained why I want to try ter ND and I have no intention of making myself very ill. I am a biochemist so I know exactly what I am doing and why. I am getting tired of the negativity so I will opt out of any more mention of the ND and this thread. I want to try and reverse my diabetes as others have done and can see nothing wrong in that.

Goodbye.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
QUOTE="moonchip, post: 813859, member: 162834"]
This is why life is simpler when I only do explicitly what my wife tells me to do .......:D:D:D

Wish my husband would!!!!!

Pipp, I feel I have explained why I want to try ter ND and I have no intention of making myself very ill. I am a biochemist so I know exactly what I am doing and why. I am getting tired of the negativity so I will opt out of any more mention of the ND and this thread. I want to try and reverse my diabetes as others have done and can see nothing wrong in that.

Goodbye.[/QUOTE]

Of course you want to reverse your diabetes. I get that. Have been there.
I am sorry that my concern for your wellbeing has been mistaken for negativity. I wish you well, and every success in your quest for reversal. Do not stop giving updates on your progress, as you might find you miss out on advice from others who have experienced similar.

I will refrain from commenting further on your circumstances if that would help you to remain.

Be well

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I did this diet for 12 weeks. Best thing ever happened to me, lost about 1 stone without any effort (no exercise) had a proper fried chicken meal and two hours later counting from 40 mins after last piece swallowed my bg was at 5.6, tried it again same.

After 10 months I'm back to square 1 weight has come back on and even more.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I did this diet for 12 weeks. Best thing ever happened to me, lost about 1 stone without any effort (no exercise) had a proper fried chicken meal and two hours later counting from 40 mins after last piece swallowed my bg was at 5.6, tried it again same.

After 10 months I'm back to square 1 weight has come back on and even more.
Sounds like a familiar story, unfortunately. The trick is to find a way of eating that keeps the weight off afterwards. I think people need to plan really carefully for what happens after the ND is finished. It's definitely not a "get out of jail free" card.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a familiar story, unfortunately. The trick is to find a way of eating that keeps the weight off afterwards. I think people need to plan really carefully for what happens after the ND is finished. It's definitely not a "get out of jail free" card.
@Indy51 is absolutely right.
ND is a fantastic option for some T2s who need to lose weight and clear fat from liver and pancreas. Once that has happened, (and it doesn't happen for everyone) it is important to keep regular check on how what you eat and drink is affecting BG and weight. It is not a cure all, and like any diet, if you go back to previous eating habits and lifestyle then you should expect to gain weight and get back to where you started.

@thebritishdrink, how has your regained weight affected your blood glucose? What to you intend to do to lose the regained weight?

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp hi, they have been better much better. By the way I am not a diagnosed diabetic son please be careful.

I've started exercise now, I want to lose weight the proper way. I also do intermittent fasting like twice a week.

Not on weekends intend to do it Monday's and Thursday's.

My weight went up though. Before the diet I started at 87kg, once I did the diet i got down to 81kg. But after a few months I reached 98kg :////////

I'm now back down to 92kg, and I made a promise I'll lose my weight and reach my bmi properly.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@thebritishdrink this may help a bit
"Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb."

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok
@Pipp hi, they have been better much better. By the way I am not a diagnosed diabetic son please be careful.

I've started exercise now, I want to lose weight the proper way. I also do intermittent fasting like twice a week.

Not on weekends intend to do it Monday's and Thursday's.

My weight went up though. Before the diet I started at 87kg, once I did the diet i got down to 81kg. But after a few months I reached 98kg :////////

I'm now back down to 92kg, and I made a promise I'll lose my weight and reach my bmi properly.
but according to your profile you are pre-diabetic, which means you can become diabetic, or with right intervention you can reverse that. So now is the time to get that sorted. You have discovered that a VLCD works in the short term to help with rapid weight loss, but is not a one off solution. When the weight has been lost you have to find a way of eating to maintain the correct weight. Most would agree that the way forward is to reduce the carbs in your diet. Forever. You will find plenty of good advice here, but only you have choice of what to do with the advice.

I hope you find the right solution for you and do not go on to develop that pre-diabetic state.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wasn't very clear, the 5+2 has the 2 days at 600 cal, so I was thinking using low carb for the other 5