counting carbs

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just wondering how do you count carbs? How do you know how much is in each meal. I'm trying to get to know my diabetes better cause it seems iv neglected it for so long I don't actually know what works and what doesn't

Kelsey140197

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if it's any help but I've been taught to do it by the amount of carbs per 100g divide it by 100 then times by the Weight that you have

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you have to use the packaging basically...........if its items of food that are out of packaging using resources like the carbs and cals book/apps and/or websites like myfitnesspal will give you the carb amounts

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your replies. the only thi g I was told really is that if of 100g the carbohydrate which sugars has to be less than one third. I think it would be worth looking into. I do slimming world so I don't really eat much bread and what I do eat is mostly fish and veg salads

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You can use fitnesspal and log your daily intake, its good to get an idea.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you may be confusing carb-counting to keep the carbs down versus carb-counting to decide how much Bolus to inject? It normally applies to the latter. If you have access to the packaging then look for the total carbs info. If not then you have to do what my DN said and 'eye-ball' the plate. I was given a leaflet by my DN showing pictures of 10gm amounts of each veg etc. You get this info from the web. You have to know your Bolus carb ratio as well, of course, and this is typically 1 unit of insulin to each 10gm of carbs but varies from person to person so use the meter to guide you.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Thanks for all your replies. the only thi g I was told really is that if of 100g the carbohydrate which sugars has to be less than one third. I think it would be worth looking into. I do slimming world so I don't really eat much bread and what I do eat is mostly fish and veg salads
I found that due to the rate of conversion/uptake of carbs, the "of which sugars" is largely irrelevant and that I spike as quickly on starchy carbs as on sugars !

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found that due to the rate of conversion/uptake of carbs, the "of which sugars" is largely irrelevant and that I spike as quickly on starchy carbs as on sugars !
Definitely. As a Type 1 diabetic, particularly, you need to more or less ignore the "of which sugars" and just look at the total carbs. You need to count carbs, not sugars. OK sugars are worse for us, but we still need to control all carbs, and insulin doses need to account for all carbs.

There is a book and smartphone app you can get called Carbs n Cals. There is also the MyFitnessPal website. And as others have said the food packaging is the first place to look.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I second using http://www.carbsandcals.com/. Just get it and feel your way round it. When you want to, you can also customise it by inputting particular foods or combinations you want in there. (I do that a lot: you do it under the 'My Foods' section by clicking on the plus sign.).

And use a digital scale to learn what quantities you are dealing with. The pictures help, but weighing for a few days will give you confidence.

Don't worry about not being familiar with this yet. We all have to start. Once you're on track, life will get a whole lot easier.

Good luck.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the carbs and cals book too. I like it because it has different sized portions and details the amount of fat, carbohydrate and calories per portion.
I also use the food packaging to work out the carbs for example if you are having a sandwich and the loaf says 22.6 grams of carb per slice I know to multiply by 2 for the two slices of bread.
You should speak to your dsn as people use different ratios of insulin to carbs. I work on the basis of using 1 unit of insulin per 100g carb for breakfast and lunch but need need 2 units of insulin per 100g for my evening meal.
Hope that makes sense.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Carbs n Cals is very good for a visual guide to carb counting, for a good comprehensive list of foods the book The Calorie Carb & fat Bible takes some beating, plus if your carb counting you need a set of kitchen scales (preferably digital ones).

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, that's meant to say 1 unit if insulin per 10g carb.