You can't go LCHF if you're on insulin?

E

emm2012

where most go wrong with a low carb diet is they don't have enough fats. endurance athletes are breaking records

http://www.examiner.com/article/end...ewer-carbs-than-thought-says-sports-scientist

but if your BG and weight is stable, why would you want to change from the carbs you are having now?
Yeah agree totally jack and thanks for the link. Its something that just interests me but at the moment have a routine that works for me and am busy living life so have no plans on changing. Moderate carbs work for me at the moment and at the end of the day that's what it's all about.

G

gemma6549

I believe what @emm2012 meant was that there seems little point recommending a specific diet for a type 1 because type 1 can not be controlled by diet nor reversed.

A healthy and balanced lifestyle I can understand for diabetics and non diabetics in order to limit the risk of developing other conditions

Hope that's right @emm2012 I don't want to misrepresent what you have said :)

Reactions: 2 people
E

emm2012

I've got to disagree with these 3 points from your post.

Type 2 diabetics have not 'brought this on themselves'. To suggest that they have is pretty offensive to our many Type 2 brothers and sisters. Type 2 diabetes is fundamentally a metabolic disorder that results in reduced insulin sensitivity and associated weight gain. If this were not the case you would not have any slim Type 2 diabetics. The people with the lowest body fat in the world are those suffering from the very rare 'Beradinelli-Siep generalised lipodystrophy' all of whom have no body fat at all and are all Type 2 diabetics whilst at the other end of the spectrum is the engineered obesity of sumo wrestlers who have virtually no diabetes whilst in training. In any event even if you are correct (which I don't accepts) so what? Are you suggesting that we treat people for illness in differing ways dependent upon their complicity in that disease? Should we just leave car crash victims beside the road if they didn't put their seat belts on? It's their own fault after all.

Where is this 'human right' to normal eating set out? That's nonsense. Also, diabetics are not 'normal people' we are diabetics.

The long term study point is a false one; how does one do a double blind study for low-carb/high fat? It would be incredibly obvious from what you are eating which diet you were on, also there is no pharmaceutical impetus to spend all that money (and you'd need a huge amount) as you can't monetise not eating a certain type of food. The flip side of that is that is that at least 3 meta studies of dietary observational studies (including a gold standard Cochrane review) have shown that there is no suggestion of a relationship between dietary fat and heart disease (the presumed worry with eating LCHF) and as you know carbohydrate is and of itself not an essential nutrient so why would one wait for studies that are not going to be done in order to follow that diet when there is no suggestion that it is associated with any sort of ill-health?

Best

Dillinger
I feel sorry that you feel diabetics not normal.....what do you consider normal? In fact I have been offended by that lol......

E

emm2012

I believe what @emm2012 meant was that there seems little point recommending a specific diet for a type 1 because type 1 can not be controlled by diet nor reversed.

A healthy and balanced lifestyle I can understand for diabetics and non diabetics in order to limit the risk of developing other conditions

Hope that's right @emm2012 I don't want to misrepresent what you have said :)

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Personal perspective from a different angle....A type 1 diabetic doesn't produce insulin and has done nothing to cause this and has absolutely no way of preventing the condition.

Sorry if I have offended you but I didn't say type twos had done anything to bring about their condition.

Sorry but I interpreted your post exactly the same way as Dillinger. To make the point that the Type 1 diabetic has done nothing to cause their condition really does make it seem like you're implying that the T2 diabetic generally has done so.

Given exactly the same levels of physical activity and similar diets some people will develop T2 diabetes and some wont. You can also find tons of examples where someone eating a worse diet and with less physical activity (than the person that develops T2) has no diabetes problems at all.

Sorry that some of us are sensitive about this, but it really does feel that once you're diagnosed with T2 you get a whole lot of this "it must be all your fault" attitude thrown in your face.

Reactions: 18 people
G

gemma6549

Perhaps "done nothing to cause it" could have been written differently, and obviously any written word is open to interpretation , but because of this I think it's important to choose our words carefully but equally important to read what someone has actually said than to extract it and create something they haven't.

Type 2's were never actually mentioned.

Reactions: 4 people

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
type 2s didnt have to be mentioned,,,we knew what was meant,,,heard it all b4,,,type 1s did nothin to bring it on themselfs i here alot so that implys that evryone else must of done,,,,what did i do? skinny,30 and fit and got it and i bet im not the only 1 here like that as well! type 2s are all shapes n sizes but still have hi sugars the same and my sugar metre couldnt read them at 1st as they were so hi so no different to a type 1 in that way

Reactions: 8 people
G

gemma6549

type 2s didnt have to be mentioned,,,we knew what was meant,,,heard it all b4,,,type 1s did nothin to bring it on themselfs i here alot so that implys that evryone else must of done,,,,what did i do? skinny,30 and fit and got it and i bet im not the only 1 here like that as well! type 2s are all shapes n sizes but still have hi sugars the same and my sugar metre couldnt read them at 1st as they were so hi so no different to a type 1 in that way

I think this is getting a bit silly now and go off on to a whole other topic.

Perhaps a new thread about how type 2's feel they are made to feel it's their fault would be more appropriate than one about carbohydrates?

I'm sorry you feel so upset.

I certainly do not feel that type 2's are to blame for their condition, nor have I ever expressed that

E

emm2012

I can only apologize that you have totally miss read what i wrote. It really is very sad you feel like this and as @gemma6549 this really is totally off topic now :(

G

gemma6549

I know it wasn't personal so please don't think I took it that way.

I don't think anyone has the right to blame someone for a condition and I'm sorry if that's something you have encountered since diagnosis.

I'm just saying that I don't think this thread is the right place for that particular argument and will just derail the topic somewhat.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, I really didn't take it that way at all. I had written about the problems for many T2s taking insulin and then the next post started with saying that it was being written from a personal perspective as a T1, and not about T2s in anyway.

Reactions: 5 people
G

gemma6549

I think when you have something that effects you in a negative way or something that can upset you it's easy to take things from what someone has said that emphasise that feeling. Sometimes those bits are all we hear, but as I've said I really don't think that's what was meant or what was said.

E

emm2012

Sorry that some of us are sensitive about this, but it really does feel that once you're diagnosed with T2 you get a whole lot of this "it must be all your fault" attitude thrown in your face.
Sorry if i have offended you also, but this certainly was not my attention :(

G

gemma6549

That was my last comment, going to leave this thread for a while as it's gone off the original topic which I was quite enjoying

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That was my last comment, going to leave this thread for a while as it's gone off the original topic which I was quite enjoying

Yes it has, lets just get back on track and answer the question in the thread title.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Lower carber vast majority of my 30+ years as an adult.
Never ate a lot of anything really.
Still lean and mean at 50+ years with no complications.
Annoyse as said in other previous posts that no NHS staff have ever shown any interest in my diet... Perhaps if they had they would gained knowledge of what may help others....whether normal ir diabetic.
Eating lifestyles are important but so is exercise.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally am very disappointed, no that's not honest, that too many doctors, nutritionists, and dieticians do not mention LCHF diet, or if the patient/client brings it up, they're told, "No one can maintain a diet like that."

In 2004, I began seeing a endocrinologist who is a type 1 diabetic for pre-diabetes. I was seen initially by her, then seen only by her nurse from that point forward. I made it clear to them both that I didn't want to take medication. I was given a blood glucose meter, but never given any effective diet strategies to lose weight or to lower my blood glucose without medication. I was just seen and monitored quarterly, I believe for 3 years.

When I intuitively developed a new strategy to eat only meat, eggs, vegetables, and less fruit and grains, my blood glucose began to come down for the first time. At my next appointment, when we reviewed my blood glucose readings, I was told I'd damage my brain because I couldn't get enough carbs from meat and vegetables alone. So I stopped, and I focused instead on eating as healthily as I could. I also lost 20 pounds.

I'm in my mid-50's now. What keeps me up at night now is "How much atherosclerosis have I developed in those ten years?". Why did I trust them? Why didn't I do my own research like I did two months ago, finally, after my high blood glucose of 282 mg/dL (15.7 mmol/L)?

I'm angry with myself, them too. Bernstein's books have been out there since 1980, and he was beating the drum for the low carb diet years before then.

Yes, I'm mad. I try to not think about it too much. What's past is past.

What counts is what I'm doing now. That said, it's lit a fire under my butt. It's driving my desire to insure that other type 2's have the option, education, and support needed to do this diet. And if I can find a type 1 partner, I'd like to help type 1's too in our local community.

It's time to start speaking up, whenever and wherever we can. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Discouraging a low carb diet seems completely logical and makes perfect sense. The paradox is that discouraging a low carb diet is also completely wrong. The problem is that from day to day, the most palpable symptom of diabetes is hypoglycaemia. Someone sees this happen, and they hear that the diabetic has not eaten enough sugar. Therefore, they decide that diabetics need lots of sugar all the time. Insulin is also vastly misunderstood by a lot of the general population. If you were to knock on the doors of all of your neighbours, you would likely find at least one who believes that a diabetic who has passed out needs to have their insulin. So, trying to explain to someone that the main reason for a hypo is too much insulin, doesn't add up to them.

There's also the idea that the brain needs 130g of glucose a day to function. This may be true. So people take that to mean that you have to eat 130g of carbohydrate each day, just to feed your brain. What they don't realise is that the body can convert protein into glucose via gluconeogenesis.

Yet another problem is the word 'fat.' Another logical idea is that eating fat makes you fat. Once again, a myth. But one I used to believe until just over a year ago. The body can't just take fat and store it. Sorry to go there, but think about the amount of solid waste the human body produces. Most of that is fat that we ate, drained of necessary parts, and then got rid of. To make fat, the body has to produce insulin, the main fat building hormone. In a non diabetic, eating a kg of lard would make them produce little insulin (it would make them feel sick, but it would not cause an insulin spike). If they ate a kg of chicken, or another high protein food, they would produce some insulin, but would not need much to keep their blood sugars stable. A kg of Ben and Jerry's? BOOM, insulin city. High in carbohydrate, suddenly plenty of insulin, the hormone that allows the body to convert excess glucose and store it as fat.

So when you look into it, a low carbohydrate diet makes a lot of sense. The problem is, the healthcare professionals don't look into it. I see a dietician regarding my low carbohydrate diet. She says 'we can support you in this, but we can't officially recommend it.' The establishment is against it, so they try to keep it out of the equation. They claim there are no studies, without bothering to fund any. So we have to look into the evidence ourselves, and make our own decisions.

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@emm2012, if you want to start off a new thread by all means do so, but lets not derail this thread any further.