Do I have diabetes or not?

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should consider the highly likely possibility that your doctor is wrong, perhaps due to lack of proper training or lack of experience. If I were in your shoes I'd change my diet to LCHF. Your post meal numbers are way too high.

Hi LCHF? Low carb high fibre? Or high fat sorry....

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
yes and dare I say it....do some exercise....nothing burns sugar faster than using your muscles...but don't go anaerobic or your liver will dump glucose.

a good walk or similar with a heart rate of lower than 120 will do wonders.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
an Hba1c loos t an overall picture so if you have high sugars balanced with low good sugars then your hbaic would indeed be normal.
When I was diagnosed it only showed at 11 am in the morning and the doctors told my mother she was mad.

try following a low carb diet as recommended above and test every 2 hours for 24 hours. Speak to th diabetic nurses at the local hospital rather than the ones at the GP as they will have a much better understanding of the condition My first consultant was my consultant for 10 years. when he was diagnosed as diabetic he phoned my mother to ask her what he could eat/ He had been my sister and my diabetologist for 10 years

I know that I know more than the nurse at my doctors and object strongly at having to see her. If you have reading then continue to believe the.
ensure you wash your hands and if high - repeat and do it again - clean your finger before you do the second. it will always be lower as a second but not a massive difference and also when high get other people to use the machine.

it is rubbish that a type 2 does not need to test their blood sugars - how can you know if you treatment needs to change or is working if you don't check. it is all about money.
good luck and I am sorry for the loss of your sister

Reactions: 5 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
an Hba1c loos t an overall picture so if you have high sugars balanced with low good sugars then your hbaic would indeed be normal.
When I was diagnosed it only showed at 11 am in the morning and the doctors told my mother she was mad.

try following a low carb diet as recommended above and test every 2 hours for 24 hours. Speak to th diabetic nurses at the local hospital rather than the ones at the GP as they will have a much better understanding of the condition My first consultant was my consultant for 10 years. when he was diagnosed as diabetic he phoned my mother to ask her what he could eat/ He had been my sister and my diabetologist for 10 years

I know that I know more than the nurse at my doctors and object strongly at having to see her. If you have reading then continue to believe the.
ensure you wash your hands and if high - repeat and do it again - clean your finger before you do the second. it will always be lower as a second but not a massive difference and also when high get other people to use the machine.

it is rubbish that a type 2 does not need to test their blood sugars - how can you know if you treatment needs to change or is working if you don't check. it is all about money.
good luck and I am sorry for the loss of your sister
Thank you so much for your kind post. I feel like I'm going mad and really don't know what to do I can't start fighting with the medical profession I wouldn't know where to start.

Over the last week I have been having trouble sleeping I'm really tired and don't have any energy but just can't seem to sleep soundly. I wake up really hot and sweaty and I'm tossing and turning non stop its always between 2:30 and 5:00. I seem to drift off about 6 am and sleep soundly till about 11am. This morning I woke with a headache a bit like a hangover, my blood sugars were the lowest they have been since I started doing them in January, they were 4.4 they were 5.3 when I went to sleep. I had my breakfast of bran flakes and after one hour they were 7.7 after 3 hours they are 7.8. Is a 3.3 rise significant or am I doing better than previously? Also everything I've read tells me that a non diabetic should return to normal within one hour of eating, I don't. I did tell my Doctor but at the same time I was telling him he was repeating 'you are not diabetic'!

Over the last few days they have been between 11.2 and 15.3, one hour after eating.

Typical readings over the last few days

Before dinner 5.5 - one hour 11.2 - two hours 11.0 - 3 hours 10.0
4 hours 7.8

Before dinner 4.6 - one hour 13.7 - two hours 12.3 - 3 hours 6.4
Before dinner 5.3 - one hour 15.3 - two hours 9.2 - 3 hours 6.7

I am going to do as you suggest and cut carbs right down over the next 24 hours and see how much of a difference that makes. If I can get them right down by cutting carbs what does that mean, I'm not diabetic? Do I just accept I don't have diabetes and stick to a low carb diet and hope for the best?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Since one doctor said you are diabetic and one said you weren't, I guess you can take your pick. Many on this thread have told you your self testing results show you are getting levels that are in the diabetic range (you can look up on the internet what these levels are yourself if you don't believe us). You can also choose to ignore that as well. It is completely possible to have normal fasting blood glucose levels and a normal HbA1c and have diabetes - many of your post meal numbers are at diabetic levels. All this means is that you are in the early stages of type 2. Cut down on the carbs and you will likely reverse it. Pretend you don't have diabetes and eventually your test results will all be in the diabetic range.

Reactions: 2 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since one doctor said you are diabetic and one said you weren't, I guess you can take your pick. Many on this thread have told you your self testing results show you are getting levels that are in the diabetic range (you can look up on the internet what these levels are yourself if you don't believe us). You can also choose to ignore that as well. It is completely possible to have normal fasting blood glucose levels and a normal HbA1c and have diabetes - many of your post meal numbers are at diabetic levels. All this means is that you are in the early stages of type 2. Cut down on the carbs and you will likely reverse it. Pretend you don't have diabetes and eventually your test results will all be in the diabetic range.

I'm sorry I am aware I am annoying some of you on here. I am not ignoring anyone and I believe everything I have been told by the people on this forum. The problem is how the hell do I get around it! If I turn up at my local drop in centre and show them my blood sugar readings they will refer me back to my GPs to request another HbA1c test which my surgery has already refused. If I go to the chemist they will write me a note to give to my doctor for a HbA1c test and they will again refuse. If I go to another doctor in the practice they will also refuse since he/ she will look at my notes. I watched my Doctor write 'I have informed Mrs that she does not have Diabetes but she remains unconvinced'. I look like I've lost my mind!

Since the death of my sister in January I seldom leave the house, I cry at the drop of a hat and the thought of confrontation fills me with utter despair. I am trying to find out everything I possibly can online and from the good people on here so I can at least minimise any damage that might occur from these high blood sugars. I don't need convincing they are diabetic readings, getting someone to take me seriously is the problem I have its not as easy as you think. I thought about going back to the Doctor that diagnosed me but it's different Dictors all the time and I have no idea what his name is. Even if I did find him I would have to tell him my doctor said he was wrong!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
In my opinion you just need to reduce the amount of carbs in your diet and keep self testing. Levels above 7.8 mmol/L can cause damage - reduce your carbs to keep you post meal numbers under that. No need to confront any doctors. It's unlikely you'd get much useful advice from them anyway, as you are already experiencing.

If you really want to convince doctors you have type 2, then pretend you don't, keep eating lots of carbs, and eventually your test numbers will be convincingly diabetic. But I think it would be better to avoid that and not concern yourself with what the quacks tell you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Without reading back, can you tell me if you have had an Oral Glucose Test? The one where you have a test, then drink a load of Lucozade or similar, then sit down in the waiting room, then get tested again at various intervals? If not, perhaps you should ask for one - this should show your levels to be above normal and prompt your GP into doing something about it.

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sorry about all the stress you have been under.

I cannot offer much advice about diabetes as I am only finding out about it myself at the moment.

One thing I have thought of though, have you booked a double appointment and has your husband gone with you as support? I found that this helped me enormously when I was trying to get an answer about my fibromyalgia. It gave us all more time to sit down and chat and voice concerns.

Also, could you ask the receptionist if there is a doctor whose special interest is in diabetes?

Just thinking aloud here, hope it helps a little.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Without reading back, can you tell me if you have had an Oral Glucose Test? The one where you have a test, then drink a load of Lucozade or similar, then sit down in the waiting room, then get tested again at various intervals? If not, perhaps you should ask for one - this should show your levels to be above normal and prompt your GP into doing something about it.

No I haven't had one.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all the latest in my failing health.

Last night at 2 am I woke up with severe vomiting and was sick what can only be described as pints of fluid. I was sick at 2am twice 4am and six am. I have some urine strips so was checking my urine I'd been drinking lots throughout the day but didn't seem to be going to the toilet. The strips showed ketones in my urine but the glucose levels weren't overly high, there was a trace of protein and the PH of the samples was 7.5. I had slight stomach ache a raging headache and blurred vision and pressure behind the one eye. I haven't eaten all day and spent most of the day sleeping but I have tried to keep drinking. This evening I ate 3/4 of a slice of cod in breadcrumbs. My blood sugars have been stable all day between 5.1 & 5.6. They went to 7.4 after the fish which I had at 6 pm and they are now down to 6.6.

I started to feel sick as soon as I'd eaten the fish so decided to pop down to the drop in centre because I was worried about the ketones which are now normal. By the time I got to the drop in I was in a lot of pain and could barely stand up straight with extreme pain in the centre of my stomach. Anyway I drew the short straw and ended up seeing the nurse. (They have a nurse and a doctor) I explained the symptoms but she was very uninterested and said there was nothing they could do I was not ill enough to warrant a visit to hospital and I should go home and wait until tomorrow and phone my GP. She repeated that diabetes can not be diagnosed without an HbA1c test and if I've had one then I haven't got diabetes. She also said that keytones in the urine is insignificant unless the blood sugars are also high. She said I likely had Noro Virus and to go home and drink plenty. I asked her why she hadn't examined my stomach when I told her I was in extreme pain she said if I jumped up on the bed she would do it but she was sure there was nothing serious to worry about. I left the surgery without her examining my stomach (didn't see the point really). Anyway I am back were I started unless I get so poorly that I am rushed to hospital there is little I can do about it.

I had hoped that the new symptoms might prompt an investigation into what is wrong. Not sure of the purpose of an out of hours surgery that won't examine you and just refer you back to your GP. I am even more anxious than I was before and I feel so poorly. I'm frightened to move the pains in my stomach are quite extreme. I read on the Internet that symptoms of high keytones can be extreme vomiting more than twice and I was vomiting across four hours and then slept on and off from six am to six pm.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all the latest in my failing health.

Last night at 2 am I woke up with severe vomiting and was sick what can only be described as pints of fluid. I was sick at 2am twice 4am and six am. I have some urine strips so was checking my urine I'd been drinking lots throughout the day but didn't seem to be going to the toilet. The strips showed ketones in my urine but the glucose levels weren't overly high, there was a trace of protein and the PH of the samples was 7.5. I had slight stomach ache a raging headache and blurred vision and pressure behind the one eye. I haven't eaten all day and spent most of the day sleeping but I have tried to keep drinking. This evening I ate 3/4 of a slice of cod in breadcrumbs. My blood sugars have been stable all day between 5.1 & 5.6. They went to 7.4 after the fish which I had at 6 pm and they are now down to 6.6.

I started to feel sick as soon as I'd eaten the fish so decided to pop down to the drop in centre because I was worried about the ketones which are now normal. By the time I got to the drop in I was in a lot of pain and could barely stand up straight with extreme pain in the centre of my stomach. Anyway I drew the short straw and ended up seeing the nurse. (They have a nurse and a doctor) I explained the symptoms but she was very uninterested and said there was nothing they could do I was not ill enough to warrant a visit to hospital and I should go home and wait until tomorrow and phone my GP. She repeated that diabetes can not be diagnosed without an HbA1c test and if I've had one then I haven't got diabetes. She also said that keytones in the urine is insignificant unless the blood sugars are also high. She said I likely had Noro Virus and to go home and drink plenty. I asked her why she hadn't examined my stomach when I told her I was in extreme pain she said if I jumped up on the bed she would do it but she was sure there was nothing serious to worry about. I left the surgery without her examining my stomach (didn't see the point really). Anyway I am back were I started unless I get so poorly that I am rushed to hospital there is little I can do about it.

I had hoped that the new symptoms might prompt an investigation into what is wrong. Not sure of the purpose of an out of hours surgery that won't examine you and just refer you back to your GP. I am even more anxious than I was before and I feel so poorly. I'm frightened to move the pains in my stomach are quite extreme. I read on the Internet that symptoms of high keytones can be extreme vomiting more than twice and I was vomiting across four hours and then slept on and off from six am to six pm.

Hi Rosserk, I'm so sorry you're suffering like this. I'm wondering if you could have pancreatitis? My sister in law has had it a couple of times and I know she was sick with it.

Symptoms of acute pancreatitis:
Upper abdominal pain that radiates into the back. It may be aggravated by eating, especially foods high in fat.
Swollen and tender abdomen.
Nausea and vomiting.
Fever.
Increased heart rate.

When you say you had Ketones are you using something like this?
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1428351048.995701.jpg

If so its not necessarily ketones in your urine, but that it's showing your body is in ketosis, which can happen if you haven't eaten (or not eating enough carbs for what your body thinks it needs). When I cut down on the carbs initially I went from 220g to 100g my body went into ketosis (my BG at that time was between 7 & 10). My DN thought I had ketones and sent off a sample which came back negative. I only eat about 50g of carbs now , have been for about 6 months, and my body isn't in ketosis on the odd time I've checked. The symptoms of ketosis I had was 'flu like' symptoms, feeling hot and clammy.

Maybe you should try Accident & Emergency, they can't turn you away.

Last edited by a moderator:

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rosserk, I'm so sorry you're suffering like this. I'm wondering if you could have pancreatitis? My sister in law has had it a couple of times and I know she was sick with it.

Symptoms of acute pancreatitis:
Upper abdominal pain that radiates into the back. It may be aggravated by eating, especially foods high in fat.
Swollen and tender abdomen.
Nausea and vomiting.
Fever.
Increased heart rate.

Maybe you should try Accident & Emergency, they can't turn you away.

If I am sick again or the pain increases I am going to A&E. The NHS Is unbelievable! my doctors book appointments for two weeks in advance any emergencies have to go to Taurus and they won't diagnose you, they are only there to take pressure off A&E. I thought of pancreatitis as well. I have lost 6lb in weight in the last two weeks and every day brings a new worry.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I am sick again or the pain increases I am going to A&E. The NHS Is unbelievable! my doctors book appointments for two weeks in advance any emergencies have to go to Taurus and they won't diagnose you, they are only there to take pressure off A&E. I thought of pancreatitis as well. I have lost 6lb in weight in the last two weeks and every day brings a new worry.

See my updated post. I'm having a different issue with my doctors, I went to the optician on the 20th March and was told they were referring me to my GP as I had 'copper wiring' at the back of my eye, they said the blood is not getting to the back of my eye. I've spoken to my GP who said they haven't had a letter, but I couldn't see a doctor for 3 weeks anyway! I've ended up with a telephone appointment for this Wednesday.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
See my updated post. I'm having a different issue with my doctors, I went to the optician on the 20th March and was told they were referring me to my GP as I had 'copper wiring' at the back of my eye, they said the blood is not getting to the back of my eye. I've spoken to my GP who said they haven't had a letter, but I couldn't see a doctor for 3 weeks anyway! I've ended up with a telephone appointment for this Wednesday.

That's awful, I'm sorry. Someone will have to die being shunted back and forward with no one taking responsibility. I can remember a time when you could go to your doctors and they would arrange tests and follow up appointments if there was the slightest chance you could get worse. Now it's all about saving money. I was told that type two diabetics are not given glucose meters or testing strips on the NHS because there is absolutely no need to test your blood sugars if you are type two.

I really hope you get a good outcome and your problem is sorted ASAP so you can have some peace of mind or the necessary treatment sooner rather than later.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's awful, I'm sorry. Someone will have to die being shunted back and forward with no one taking responsibility. I can remember a time when you could go to your doctors and they would arrange tests and follow up appointments if there was the slightest chance you could get worse. Now it's all about saving money. I was told that type two diabetics are not given glucose meters or testing strips on the NHS because there is absolutely no need to test your blood sugars if you are type two.

I really hope you get a good outcome and your problem is sorted ASAP so you can have some peace of mind or the necessary treatment sooner rather than later.

Thanks I am type 2. I was given 10 test strips and a meter when I was diagnosed and told that was enough to work out what foods I should be eating! They won't give me anymore, I end up bidding for them on eBay, which I just did a couple of hours ago.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I am type 2. I was given 10 test strips and a meter when I was diagnosed and told that was enough to work out what foods I should be eating! They won't give me anymore, I end up bidding for them on eBay, which I just did a couple of hours ago.

Priceless! I expect you've paid into the NHS. You couldn't make it up really.

I have read type 2 people on the forum do get test strips but that might be if they are on insulin.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Priceless! I expect you've paid into the NHS. You couldn't make it up really.

I have read type 2 people on the forum do get test strips but that might be if they are on insulin.

Yes I've worked all my life, I've never claimed any benefits, I pay for my prescriptions, but that doesn't seem to matter. Because I'm not on insulin I can't get the strips