Minimed pump supply cost UK

metalloz15

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I have recently arrived in London from Sydney and just signed up to the Medtronic website so I can purchase minimed pump supplies (I still have about one months worth left). I got quite a shock when the price came up as £92 for a box of 10 insertion sets. Is this right? In Sydney I was paying less than £10 a box.

Is it hard to get funding under the NHS? I have now registered with a GP and have a NHS number.

I can't believe how expensive it is. My application is still pending in the system, so maybe once it is approved the prices will be lower?...That's what I am hoping. Or is this the correct price?

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Funding is not automatic and you would have to apply and be accepted which cold well take longer than a month, if they are less than £10 in Oz then it'll probably be well worth getting a few boxes posted

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi,

I have recently arrived in London from Sydney and just signed up to the Medtronic website so I can purchase minimed pump supplies (I still have about one months worth left). I got quite a shock when the price came up as £92 for a box of 10 insertion sets. Is this right? In Sydney I was paying less than £10 a box.

Is it hard to get funding under the NHS? I have now registered with a GP and have a NHS number.

I can't believe how expensive it is. My application is still pending in the system, so maybe once it is approved the prices will be lower?...That's what I am hoping. Or is this the correct price?
You need to ask your GP for an urgent pump clinic apt, so funding can be set up for you. As you are already on pump therapy it would be very unlikely for the supplies not to be funded.

Reactions: 2 people

metalloz15

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks very much CarbsRok. I will go see my GP asap.

Under NHS funding, are the consumables completely free or do you still have to pay a small amount?

metalloz15

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I just received a referral letter to a diabetes clinic and I need to book an appointment. Is it a long process from the point of registering with the diabetes clinic and receiving the pump supplies?

I think I might need to go back onto injections...I only have 2 weeks of supplies left.. >_<

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
So I just received a referral letter to a diabetes clinic and I need to book an appointment. Is it a long process from the point of registering with the diabetes clinic and receiving the pump supplies?

I think I might need to go back onto injections...I only have 2 weeks of supplies left.. >_<
As you have the referral letter give the clinic a ring they might be able to help you out with some supplies. Perhaps use your cartridges more than once to stretch them a bit.
Another thing you could do is to Medtronic giving them your details and asking if you can purchase some supplies until you are set up with an account. Another option is perhaps to try INPUT they might be able to advise you as well. http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/
You could be in for a 3 or 4 month wait for supplies and an apt. The NHS moves from slow to very slow in many cases.