Its easier to start than restart LCHF

greendress

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on and off low carb for 7 years - I feel infinitely better when on it: lose weight, more energy, no stomach bloating/pain etc. when off it I feel ill, shaky with bs fluctuations, brain fog, stomach aches... Yet I still slip up now and then and it's always hard to get back.

You can do it though. Look at your old menus, read the recipe sections on here, maybe buy a new book like low carb revolution which is full of comfort food ideas.

You'll feel better and happier on the wagon, good luck!

Reactions: 3 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @greendress . It is good to know that someone else has had the same experience. I do feel much better when I'm on LCHF. I seem to be having a problem with will power at present. I start the day well but have slip ups later. But I'm determined to get back on the wagon. I've just been reading the one minute muffins recipes and think I will try them . Thank you for the encouragement.

greendress

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For the first few days getting back on the wagon it can be good to let yourself eat more than you usually might. Only of v low carb foods like cheese, eggs, meats etc (mims too) but if you're hungry it's very hard to stick to it. Once you're into the swing your appetite should decrease naturally.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocados are my go to food when I'm looking for carbs, fat, and protein. I just weighed a small avocado, pit and skin removed. Half a small avocado weighs 57 grams, and has 5 gram carb, 8 gram fat, and 1 gram protein. :)

Another favorite is 1 ounce (28 g) of nuts:

Walnuts - 4 g carb, 18 g fat, 4 g protein
Pecans - 4 g carb, 20 g fat, 3 g protein
Almonds - 6 g carb, 14 g fat, 6 g protein

Both make me feel better. :)

A forum member kindly emailed this morning to explain how to calculate net carbs. She also provided me with an excellent link to the National USDA Nutrient Database... http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ :)

Happily, the carb counts for avocados and nuts are far less than I previously thought, which explains why these foods don't spike my blood sugar (and are such good, healthy snacks for us):

1 small avocado (114 g, pit and skin removed)... 2.05 net carbs (9.85 g carbs - 7.8 g fiber)

1 ounce (28.35 g) of nuts...

walnuts 1.99 g net carbs (3.89 g carbs - 1.9 g fiber)

pecans 1.23 net carbs (3.93 g carbs - 2.7 g fiber)

almonds 2.61 net carbs (6.11 g carbs - 3.5 g fiber)

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this to me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @mo53

The easiest way for me to get back into the LC saddle, when I fall off the horse is this:

Forget about slimming and weight control for a day or two (if that is a concern)
Plan your food to have 3 square meals, plus snacks
Avoid carbs where possible
Eat good, solid, filling meals with plenty of protein and fat
Drink masses of LC drinks including broth
When in doubt, make sure you eat enough.

Basically, by eating enough fat and protein, the carb cravings and hunger are squashed, and you feel satisfied and full.
The broth and liquids help avoid LC flu

After a day or 3 doing this, you can ease back onto whatever LC regime works best for you in the long term.

The transition is surprisingly painless ;)

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A forum member kindly emailed this morning to explain how to calculate net carbs. She also provided me with an excellent link to the National USDA Nutrient Database... http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ :)

Happily, the carb counts for avocados and nuts are far less than I previously thought, which explains why these foods don't spike my blood sugar (and are such good, healthy snacks for us):

1 small avocado (114 g, pit and skin removed)... 2.05 net carbs (9.85 g carbs - 7.8 g fiber)

1 ounce (28.35 g) of nuts...

walnuts 1.99 g net carbs (3.89 g carbs - 1.9 g fiber)

pecans 1.23 net carbs (3.93 g carbs - 2.7 g fiber)

almonds 2.61 net carbs (6.11 g carbs - 3.5 g fiber)

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this to me. :)

Is this right, don't understand?

greendress

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that's right. In the UK we don't need to subtract fibre from a food label's carb count as it's done for us - but often vegetables don't have labels and are listed online (esp on american sites) with the fibre included in the carb count so it has to be subtracted.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rowan, apologies for the confusion I created about the carbs for avocados and nuts. I still have a lot to learn. :)

Pepsi Max

Oh my... I'm currently experiencing this feeling now... I've fallen off the LCHF wagon & I ate the wagon!! I haven't gorged on bread/rice or pasta but I've been indulging in treats especially chocolate!! You'd think I wasn't a diabetic!! I need a slap back into reality... Help before I eat myself stupid

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Try 85 or 90% chocolate. I can't really do without chocolate, so I partake in some Lindt chocolate. And get back on that wagon!

Reactions: 4 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm off chocolate for a while, but my favorite is Lindt's 70% cocoa chocolate. It comes 10 squares to a bar, and I normally eat one square after lunch, one square after dinner. But I realize not everyone likes dark chocolate.

You'll feel so much better a few days after you get started again. Might help to stock the fridge and pantry with your preferred LCHF foods first. Remember to drink lots of water, and also make sure you're getting the salt to minimize the effects over the first few days. I really like all of Brunneria's suggestions that she posted above. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pepsi Max

Thanks! I'm not a fan of dark chocolate but I do like Lindor...I'm so pi*sed off with myself because I was doing well, lost a few pounds & now I've put it all back on!!

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Mo53 ... I've fallen off the wagon of late ... had a couple of out of control weekends, back on track for a few days, then off track again. Just got back from 5 days away and eating with gay abandon.

If you would like a 'buddy' to get back on track with, I too could do with the support. Perhaps we could be accountable on a daily basis with a food diary? PM me if you like.

Lesley

Pepsi Max

In relation to drinking a stock cube for the salt intake what is recommended? I've been drinking 1 stock cube a day but spilt over 2 drinks, just because 1 in the mug is very strong... Thoughts?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, the ideal is home made meat or veg stock, with added salt. The aim is for maybe 1-2g salt a day to compensate for the salt that isn't in all the bread and carbs you aren't eating.

So just pick your stock (or stock cube) of choice, and drink enough to feel good.

Personally, I don't stress about it.
If I'm roasting a chicken I will salt the skin liberally instead of the stock.
Or I will scatter salt over food.

But one of the benefits of broth is the added liquid, which helps the kidneys flush unwanted stuff from the bloodstream, and aids hydration, reducing the likelihood of dehydration headaches which are a symptom of low carb flu...