CGM - anyone got one on NHS?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Is it "safe" to keep the sensors in for so long? i.e. are you more likely to get an infection/skin reaction if the same one is in for so long? Just wondering what the purpose of the 7-day limit is unless it's just for Dexcom to make more $$$
No infection or even a mark once the sensor is removed, Sensor is about the width of a hair. All sensors have a 5 - 7 day limit due I suspect to the potential of an infection setting in. Except Dexcom who state 7 day sensor but haven't managed to stop the sensor working once restarted after the 7 days. :D I could not afford to use sensors if they only lasted 7 days so obviously do not mind the fact they can be restarted.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wow!
I did once do 49 days but haven't been anywhere near since.
After reading everyone's advice and experiences on how to make Dexi last longer I worked out that once the sensor started to move you onto a losing battle. So simple solution was to site the sensor where least movement would affect it ie clothes rubbing. Also I soon worked out that the stick on the sensor tape is done to fail after 7 days. So Sensor goes in arm and extra stick (skin tac) is used on the tape before it is placed on my arm, keeping the tape dry is another must so Hydrofilm is used on top of the tape one I have coated the sensor tape again with skin tac and the surrounding area so that the Hydrofilm has extra stick as well.

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had infection sometimes on sensors after long term use. It starts with itching. I would get it around week 3. Since I started disinfecting the site before insertion I have not had problems.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with CarbsRok about preventing movement. I would also guess that movement of the canula increases the risk of infection.

Reactions: 2 people

mlm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Going back to the original question, I got funding for cgm a number of years ago. It was whilst I was waiting to be referred for an islet cell transplant. No idea what the process was to get one, as the consultant did it all and I started receiving them very quickly. It kept me at work and helped reduce the effects of some of the serious hypos. Didn't stop them all as I still had seizures whilst on it, but reduced the frequency of them.

HaroldC

Started using my (very expensive) new Dexcom last Thursday. Fantastic.
Last night when I checked it before bed:
Call local Distributer.
ERROR: HWBAT
now it doesn't work, it just bleeps.
Nobody answers the phone at Advanced Therapeutics and John Hughes isn't picking up his mobile.
Anyone here got any idea what this error is about?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I've never seen that error.
I've found John Hughes very helpful so keep trying.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Started using my (very expensive) new Dexcom last Thursday. Fantastic.
Last night when I checked it before bed:
Call local Distributer.
ERROR: HWBAT
now it doesn't work, it just bleeps.
Nobody answers the phone at Advanced Therapeutics and John Hughes isn't picking up his mobile.
Call US technical support. Aren't they 24x7? Their number should be in the manual or on the Web?

(I may be confusing Animas with Dexcom again however.)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By the way, Animas require a letter of support from your hospital or doctor if you are using the Animas Vibe as a CGM receiver.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can't help with the error message.
Am very surprised no one is answering the phone in the office. Perhaps leave a message for John on his voicemail he might be teaching people how to use their pump or at a meeting. He will get back to you though. Have you got the right number to ring?
To place an order or for technical queries during office hours please telephone
01926 833273

For technical queries outside of office hours, please telephone John Hughes on

07775 642239

Reactions: 4 people

HaroldC

I got him the second time. It appears to be a monitoring issue on USB line in or across the internal battery. John explained how to reset it (power up via USB, press the reset button with a paperclip through the hole in the centre of the back). The dexie rebooted, the error went and the blood-glucose data had been logged all along in the background.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent news. Thanks for sharing.
I'll make a note of that fix in the Dexcom manual.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I got him the second time. It appears to be a monitoring issue on USB line in or across the internal battery. John explained how to reset it (power up via USB, press the reset button with a paperclip through the hole in the centre of the back). The dexie rebooted, the error went and the blood-glucose data had been logged all along in the background.
Fantastic news.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The current Dexcom transmitter is not Bluetooth as far as I understand. The Dexdrip hacking project is all about converting the radio (2.4GHz?) output to Bluetooth which can then be received by a mobile phone.

Note that the Dexcom Share receiver which is out now in the USA will forward the data to a phone via Bluetooth. The next version, G5, is expected to transmit Bluetooth directly from the transmitter.

In the meantime this website makes interesting reading regarding the Dexdrip project:
http://circles-of-blue.winchcombe.o...exdrip-test-results-vs-dexcoms-505-algorithm/

I also saw another page with more comparing the Dexcom receiver graphs & Dexdrip, but I can't find it right now. There was an interesting graph for the 2 hours as a sensor is restarted. I'll keep looking..

Hi,

2.4GHz is a "licence free" Ofcom channel.. This digital? wavelength is used by all en sundry since the law changed in 2013? including remote control modellers.& (How i learnt this stuff.) Radio band equipment, such as radio mikes & in ear monitoring..

I would be more in inclined to use my old strip meter at a rock concert!! .;)

Reactions: 2 people

HaroldC

There's no need to get in a flap about security. 1) someone has to really want to cause you trouble and 2) the range is only a few centimetres. So there's little to be worried about there.

HaroldC

The 2.4 gig band is fairly open, it's very short range stuff and thirsty on battery life. Give it a go, it'll be fine, trust me - I've worked with these technologies for years and years.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's no need to get in a flap about security. 1) someone has to really want to cause you trouble and 2) the range is only a few centimetres. So there's little to be worried about there.

Hi, your average entry level radio mike like an SM58 system is about 100 meters..? So a Shure mike may well be a "bigger stick" by comparison?
As long as Yer not a music fan I would agree your quite safe. ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've never heard of the extended low power protocols in the newer versions of the 802.11 standard?

Why should I..? lol. I'm just a musician with a dark sense of humour.. :D I do apply similar banter with my Omnipod using bass player.. He's not one to talk about his tech which I'm interested in. Myself being on MDI. So I sneak the conversation through the back door... ;):cool: