Very Frightened.

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
Recently diagnosed T2.

feeling really low, not just a bit ticked off but real "black dog"..

What is the long term trajectory for type 2 '?

What are these complications, how common are they? Are they inevitable, are we Kanute style trying to hold back the tide?

If the arc is eyes, then lower limbs, then I might try a couple of my favourite things folliwed by a high building

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Welcome to the forum. Do not panic. With the proper diet and exercise it may be possible to keep you blood glucose levels under control and avoid complications. If diet and exercise doesn't work there are medications that can work. Diabetic complications are not inevitable.

This web site is a good place to start to learn about type 2 and how to control it: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

Reactions: 10 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recently diagnosed T2.

What are these complications, how common are they? Are they inevitable, are we Kanute style trying to hold back the tide?

If the arc is eyes, then lower limbs, then I might try a couple of my favourite things folliwed by a high building

Hi & Welcome to the forum you have certainly come to the right place for help & support.

But hold on there the feeling initially can be quite bad, but as you get to know what you need to do it's actually no that bad.Bit of a change of diet mostly more enjoyable, lose some weight some exercise, and things will start coming together.

I'm going to Tag @daisy1 she will come along with a long list of helpful information we give to new members.

As as many questions as you need to we have all been there.

Neil

Reactions: 6 people

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
I was diagnosed in October 14 since then I have lost three stones and met all my targets. Not on medication. So I should be ****-a-hoop, but I'm still as concerned as the day I was diagnosed.

Maybe there should be more for people's mental well being rather than the long list of conflicting food do's and don'ts.

Reactions: 8 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in October 14 since then I have lost three stones and met all my targets. Not on medication. So I should be ****-a-hoop, but I'm still as concerned as the day I was diagnosed.

Maybe there should be more for people's mental well being rather than the long list of conflicting food do's and don'ts.
Hey ProjectMorris, we have something in common, I was diagnosed in October too and have also lost 3 stone and looking to lose 1 more.

Were all here helping each other even when the 'Black Dog' appears. It's not uncommon for diabetics to be depressed. We here can help you by support and encouragement but non of us are psychologists or I should say able to give medical advice.

Whats you numbers are they not under control or are you not testing at the moment?

Neil

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
at diagnosis time my immediate blood sugar was 17 although I've never been that high ever again and my Hba1c was 93. Both the highest in the Desmond Diabetic class I attended. That did not set me off on the right foot I can tell you. Current numbers I can tell you tomorrow.

i am testing with a meter, 3 month check up had me exceeding all my targets. I'm 87kg and I'm aiming for a fighting weight of 80kg I'm 6'2" (don't know what that is in cm) so my bmi is on the high side of green..

Last edited by a moderator:

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @ProjectMorris, I have read your earlier posts back in December and you are clearly Low.

Firstly, I would recommend that you do go to your GP with regards the 'Black Dog' I have been there (many years ago now) but very seriously Low, go and get the help.

Secondly, I think you need to stay on here, where you will make some friends that will support you and let you get a proper handle on your diabetes.

There are people on here had diabetes for 30, 40 & even 50 years with no complications. If you can control your numbers, which lots of us can, you will not have any problems in the future. I have to take medication, your on diet only thats a boost in it'self (just seen your post).

I will look forward to seeing your numbers tomorrow, you will get straight answers on here which will be very clear, when I did the 'desmond' course I was disgusted that they told people to eat all the Carbs, including your porridge although some can tolerate it.

I'll follow you to see how you get on and have a look at your numbers tomorrow.

Off to bed by 1am.

Neil

Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Strange thing is.... since I was diagnosed I'm probably now healthier than I've ever been!
Change of outlook toward food change of behaviours here and there and here I am .... lighter fitter happier.
So I have to live with a slightly stricter set of rules but that doesn't appear to be a problem right now.
Bit of self awareness bit of discipline .... welcome to the best place you could have arrived at at this point in your life.

Reactions: 13 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
at diagnosis time my immediate blood sugar was 17 although I've never been that high ever again and my Hba1c was 93. Both the highest in the Desmond Diabetic class I attended. That did not set me off on the right foot I can tell you. Current numbers I can tell you tomorrow.

i am testing with a meter, 3 month check up had me exceeding all my targets. I'm 87kg and I'm aiming for a fighting weight of 80kg I'm 6'2" (don't know what that is in cm) so my bmi is on the high side of green..
I'm just under six three and 95kilos ... quite happy to be that weight.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently diagnosed T2.

I'm a firm believer that complications, and a downward spiral are not necessarily the outcome for us diabetics, if we take care of ourselves. The important part there is taking care of ourselves. If we don't give heed to this condition, it could run away with us, but that option isn't for me! I want to live a healthy long life.

My statistics are in my signature, and certainly in stature, I'm very different to you. I'm also, generally, a pretty up-beat person, but I do understand getting low, and if you're prone to being that way, a diabetes diagnosis can be a real body blow.

Every single one of us on here arrived because we had questions we weren't getting answers to, or we couldn't find them elsewhere. Mao, you're amongst people with whom you already have a lot in common.

The people on here have taught me a huge amount about diabetes, and I have learned a lot about myself in the time since I was diagnosed; just a year before you. I would suggest you stick around and ask all those questions buzzing around in your head. You know that old saying, "you never know someone until you have waled a mile in their shoes" (or something like that, at least)? Well, we are those people whose shoes you might want to borrow from time to time.

Of course we don't have to face exactly the same issues, but we've all had the worry over blood scores and our prospects.

I think @daddys1 's suggestion of discussing your mood with the Doc is an excellent one. That way, at least he will know how you feel.

Please let us know how you get on tomorrow. If you're anything like me, a set of results gives me information, but I also usually have a million questions too. I'm certain the posters on here will be able to help your I your way to a more comfortable place, with your diabetes, at least.

Fingers crossed for you, for tomorrow.

Reactions: 12 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said complications are not inevitable. As long as you keep your blood sugr within the good range then complications are unlikely. Just have a low-carb diet and if necessary some medication and you will be OK. If you are overweight then do get that down thru the right diet. Do come back with any questions.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@ProjectMorris

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

You have had some really good and interesting answers from members and they are all there to help you with their knowledge and experience. One very important point is that with the correct diet you can greatly reduce the risk of having diabetic complications, and you can see that some of the members are very successful in this. This is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask all the questions you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @ProjectMorris , welcome :)

Lots of good advice above. I guess we all at some time get disheartened, even depressed, if not because of the diabetes then something else.

I look at it like this - T2 has empowered me to look after myself far better than I would have otherwise. Getting BG and weight under control, together with the LCHF diet to do that, has improved my well being and risk factors for all sorts of things significantly. I keep a close eye on things, but it is a lifestyle not a sprint. Keep doing the right things and there's no reason for any complications do develop - I don't even think about them.

(I get stalked by the dog occasionally, but it's not because of T2).

Reactions: 4 people

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
Ok Boys and Girls here are my latest results from tests on the 2nd February.

Hba1c: target 59 Mmol/mol actual 4 8 mmol
Cholesterol: target <4 Mmol actual 2.9 Mmol/lchf
Blood Pressure: target <140/80 actual 137/80
Weight & BMI: 87kg target BMI 19-25 actual 24.8 O/E weight
Foot risk: Left & Right at low risk
Eye test: Clear.

New weight target 85kg However I'm actually going to go for 80kg

What does O/E stand for?

Reactions: 10 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your doing really well.
Keep the lchf & those complications are many many years away if at all.
At least lchf is a diet that has no end, (unlike some diets). Just keep on as you are & you'll fell so mush better.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mate, something that we would all do well to remember is that although we have this condition, it IS manageable, and by the look of your figures you are already well on the way to doing it. It seems you were caught early and, with a little bit of effort on your part, diabetes need not necessarily trouble too much. If the black dog comes calling, kick it`s a**e!!

Reactions: 7 people