Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Everyone

Just wanted some ideas about not eating salad at every meal??? I am not a huge vegetable fan the always end up so watery and a really bad cook. I wish I was a better cook its time as well. I seem to be having salad for lunch and tea every night wondered if anyone had some quick ideas for me?

Sorry meant to say following a LCHF diet

Reactions: 2 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried steamed vegetables + butter or even better, olive oil. Asparagus etc. ie you can boil, bake ,grill ....

Reactions: 4 people

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
my steamed veg is always soggy mush :( tried to make my own filled mushrooms baked in the oven and they were really watery which totally puts me off.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Everyone

Just wanted some ideas about not eating salad at every meal??? I am not a huge vegetable fan the always end up so watery and a really bad cook. I wish I was a better cook its time as well. I seem to be having salad for lunch and tea every night wondered if anyone had some quick ideas for me?

Hi jillyp83, well have you tried the big field mushrooms,stuffed with cous cous and garlic cream cheese ( the cous cous is wheat but in such small amounts with cream cheese ) doesn't spike my bs's,or chicken kebabs with your fav veg's ,how about fennel and trout fillets ,or chilli flavoured sausages with braised celery in butter, or crumbled smocked mackeral with scrambled eggs ,or homemade salmon and dill fishcakes,.............have i made you hungry yet ?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Soggy mushes = over done, if you go hungry long enough you will start experimenting to get your timing right.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Soggy veg = big turnoff. My dear mum used to boil cabbage and sprouts to within an inch of their lives :***: Sorry, mum.
Can you get a steamer to go on the stove? Veggies taste much nicer a bit crunchy & keep their flavour. They may need salt too.
When they're done, put cheese on and melt in the oven.
Courgettes sliced and baked in olive oil/coconut oil and cheese on top for the last few minutes. Or cream. Or both.
Roast celeriac slices.
In fact a whole baking pan of veggies like onion, celeriac, peppers, courgettes, aubergine with oil/fat, s&p, a little cider vinegar.
Slice a beef tomato and warm it with olive oil, s&p and olives. Brings out the flavour.
Mushrooms suddenly leak a lot of liquid when cooking so you either mix that with butter and garlic or drain it off. Just cook them a bit less.
Thinly sliced courgette can be used as a pasta alternative heated with a little oil or butter (but no water!)

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really loving eggplant (I think you call them aubergine in the UK) as a really health low carb vegetable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant

They've got a kind of meaty texture and they take on the flavours of whatever you're cooking them with just brilliantly. They have low carbs (and low Calories) but they make a really great "filler".

I cook them with meat and tomatoes and mushrooms, or bacon and tomatoes, add some cheese. Lovely!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a microwave? Many vegetables can be cooked quickly and easily with just a dab of butter or a bit of olive oil.

You can also eat lots of vegetables uncooked in salads - even things like broccoli or cauliflower. Tesco do packs of baby vegetables and these make good salad ingredients. I like the packs with mangetout or sugar snap peas and baby sweetcorn.

Grate raw baby courgettes and cheese and mix with a few roasted salted peanuts.

Chop a stick of celery, a small piece of apple and some walnuts and make a dressing with chopped chives and either sour cream or yoghurt. Good with warm or cold chicken pieces.

Hard goats cheese or feta cheese with black olives, basil leaves, and cherry tomatoes sprinkled with black pepper with a little olive oil is another favourite of mine.

I reckon ought to be easy enough with a bit of thought to have a different salad mix 7 days a week.

@DeejayR I love Mediterranean type veggies roasted with olive oil and a few herbs, but I have a husband who thinks using the oven for this sort of thing is a serious criminal offence! :eek:

Robbity

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
my steamed veg is always soggy mush :( tried to make my own filled mushrooms baked in the oven and they were really watery which totally puts me off.

Stir-fry fresh vegetables, this way it retains the firmness of the veg (al dente).

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish the wife could take you under her wing ... We are vegetarians and never had a soggy veg in all the time we have been together (26yrs) she has a vegetable steamer that's stands on its on with own plug. There is also a wok that cooks gravey, stir frys and many other things .. Then there is the grill that cooks ? Don't know ... But it's used a lot in our kitchen.... And the oven that has collieflower and brockley covered in oilve oil and cheeses cooked in .... We have a microwave ... Somewhere .. The wife is not a fan of them .. Sure I did get one to warm up my tea when I forgot to drink it !
Cooking is easy the wife says .. I do strongly disagree with her, as I can only cook things pre done from packets ... She likes to cook everything from scratch ... But sometimes will use LM burgers or sausages and jars of curry sauce ....yummmmmmmmmmm
Edit to add ... In fresh raw salad we have diffrent dressings and other things like curried egg or HM spring rolls ..A frittata type thing that's a quiche without the base... LM burgers with lots of chease on top and a blue cheese dressing ... Curry coleslaw.. Blue chease coleslaw.. Stuffed mushrooms ...
Are you vegetrain ?

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone

My electric steamer is excellent, and with the timer on it, whilst not fail safe, it's pretty reliable. If they're done a little before your meat, then just leave the veg in the unopened steamer and they'll stay warm long enough, without a problem.

Another option is to roast a few veg? Not as in roast potatoes, but in a shallow dish, roughly chop onion, courgette, tomatoes ( or whole baby tomato, with pricked skin), butternut squash, if you can tolerate it,peppers mushrooms..... You get the drift; whatever you like. Sprinkle over a little olive oil and whatever herbs you fancy. Into the oven for a decent ignoring 30-35 minutes-ish. If you are using the squash, or want to leave the onions in larger pieces, you may want to give them a 10 minute start before adding the rest. I also sometimes put in either chicken thighs, drumsticks or quality sausages, which makes a delicious, easy meal with virtually no effort.

If I know I'll be short of time, I'll prep the veg in advance and store in a poly bag in the fridge, with the oil already in there. Things like garlic or chilli oil give these a real lift.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a solution to your watery mushroom problem - (I use medium button mushrooms)...

From my favorite recipe, Cheesy Stuffed Mushrooms, 365 Snacks, Hors d'Oeuvres & Appetizers...

Trim ends of mushrooms. Pull out mushroom stems and finely chop. Put mushroom caps stem-side upon a microwave-safe glass plate. Sprinkle lightly with 1 teaspoon water. Cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Microwave on High 1 1/2 minutes. Drain and pat bottoms dry with paper towels.

I then stuff the mushrooms and broil them in the oven before serving. Yum. :)