Alleged Control or Motorway Bridge?

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
Hello All,

Being a newly diagnosed T2, I find the confusing and occasionally conflicting advice really difficult to deal with. (oh yeah and I love the "I can reverse or cure your T2 diabetes, just buy my book" snake oil adverts. Funny but don't you think these people would be famous and have the Nobel Prize for achieving this?)
Some say eat this or that, others say under no circumstances eat this, that or any combination of either. I love porridge, skimmed milk no sugar or sweetener, it’s my everyday breakfast, however it seems this might be bad for me. I'm also consuming a lot of salads which include tomatoes and carrots, and that may be killing me too.
I'm newly diagnosed and attempting to manage myself through diet and monitoring. I've lost nearly 3st and monitor regularly but my heart and mood really sink when I test myself and I find it’s in double figures, although I have never yet managed to get it as high as when I was first tested, even when I have fallen off the wagon. I've also had the situation where I have tested myself on two consecutive days having eaten exactly the same thing each day, I weigh my breakfast porridge, and got significantly different results, which is just bonkers and leads me to think control of this condition is an illusion.
I attended the Desmond clinic and found I was by a long chalk the person with the highest HBA1C numbers (93) which did nothing to improve my demeanour and really, really worried me. To be honest the Desmond thing was probably too much to take in on one sitting. I thought the correlation of foods with sugar cubes was probably the wrong tack as this reinforced a connection with sugar when its carbs which should be the focus, or am I wrong? The best thing I got out of the Desmond clinic was befriending a level headed bloke who I text every now and then when I feel very low and he picks me up and tells me to stop stressing.
I love my food; it is not only a joy to create but social and human to share. Am I / Are we condemned to gruel for the rest of our lives?
The trajectory for diabetics seems to me to only to lead to some pretty terrible outcomes. My mother has had two strokes which were probably down to diabetes and this fine woman who ran several businesses and managed a household now lives in a universe which is and will only ever be five minutes old and I see my future there with her and it bothers me intensely.
I wonder sometimes if I should just eat and drink what I want for a few more years and then head for the motorway bridge?

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just want to mention one thing from your post: You mention that food is a "joy to create". You can use this creativity to think up some delicious recipes with the ingredients which are best for stabilising blood glucose. No need for gruel. Your HBA1C numbers are high - you need to take this seriously, but happy serious not pessimistic serious. Happy because you can find out on this forum how to turn it all around and improve your health.
Stay away from the bridges!

G

gemma6549

Sorry that you are feeling so down.

I'm type 1 so I know it's a little different but please don't feel that life is over or now tarnished in some way.

Yes there are things that will effect your sugars more than others but they don't have to be boring or unpleasant to eat.

Look at it as an opportunity to discover new foods and flavours you may not have considered before and experiment with those to create something you really like and can enjoy just as much.

Diabetes shouldn't restrict your life, just change it slightly.

Nowadays there are so many different foods and recipe ideas out there to suit all types of requirements.

You will find something that works for you, just takes time to adjust that's all.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Aaaaw... Don't feel down..heck, there's some superb food to still be artistic and creative with.

Life is hard at times it can seem like a death sentence and a huge struggle.

However, the struggles are worth it.

The mountains to climb may not be physical ones.. But they feel sometimes that they may as we be.

You should never climb a mountain alone. The same with tackling issues around diabetes. The more support you get, the easier that climb becomes.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it sounds like you are doing it hard, even though you have lost weight www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImxgj2I4_M&feature=player_embedded and it may be because you are energy deficient, yet still eating too much carb...I'd do this for a month
From the Southport gp who posts here
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy, see the links as well
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Reactions: 2 people

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
it sounds like you are doing it hard, even though you have lost weight www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImxgj2I4_M&feature=player_embedded and it may be because you are energy deficient, yet still eating too much carb...I'd do this for a month
From the Southport gp who posts here
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy, see the links as well
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

---------

Jack, rather coincidentally the pdf of the GP study is from near where I lived for many years and tracks almost exactly what I have been doing. Apart from the occasional fall from the wagon it has worked very well. I'm not sure I got the feeling of being 10 years younger. However the weight loss helps you feel more positive about yourself and continued loss is a strong motivational loop. Similarly the lowering of all the high figures is a real boost. I'd recommend it for any newly diagnosed to help with their own self help programme.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Feeling really low. ..

Sorry to hear of your' black dog' lows. Are you under the care of your GP regarding this, do you have a social worker or a crisis team for help and support ? Sorry if you have already mentioned this ?

Best wishes RRB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people