Drs changed all my kit !!!!!

scribble

Got a new test meter in the post from the drs with a "nice" little letter basically saying, hi, we want to save money so we have changed your test meter, test strips, lancets and needles!!!!!

I'm not against the save money aspect they propose but with no notice, just we have changed it all!!!!!! The stuff they have sent is about 100 years old compared to the modern functional items i have, and have in stock to use.

I am treated in a different district for my diabetes care to the one that simply has to print my prescriptions, but the drs don't seem to manage to understand that.

Do i have any rights to refuse all of this new stuff, i am happy with what i currently use its straight forward and compact. The hospital i go to has prescribed all of the kit i use everyday and they will have had no idea that it is all changed, i'm not sure if they can download my meter when i go or if it can print trends or results to show them

I have to go in and discuss it with the nurse if i am not happy, so thought i would see if anyone knows before i go in and play war!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This is happening a lot due to cost savings, try and make a case to your gp surgery why you should keep your current meter, perhaps your DSN or Consultant may assist you and write a letter to the practice, not saying it will work but its worth a try anyway. Good luck.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to guess that you've received a GlucoRX Nexus.

That seems to be the NHS preferred meter as it's cheaper.

I use one and it does it's job.

However there is no harm in trying to put your case to keep the existing one on prescriptions.

Good luck

Jim

Edit: @noblehead beat me to it :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I'm lucky with my surgery (I don't use the hospital clinic). They invited us all in when they wanted to change the meter and showed it to us. It was the MyLife Pura which is very neat and good. We were told we could stay with our current meter and strips if we preferred but the new one had cheaper strips. I changed over as most of the others did. Very well handled by our lovely DN who has sadly just left with a promotion.

scribble

Well I have now been to the Drs, and am pleased to say I left a happy bunny!

Without even much of a word from me except to confirm that yes my existing kit is all signing all dancing, the nurse switched everything back!!!!!

She advised that the switch is not for everyone and not everyone should switch but its easier to transfer everyone over and then move some of us back if its not suitable. For me she advised it wasn't really suitable.

Got to say i had my case for argument all ready and prepared in my head, but am pleased that I didn't have to use any of it (pleased as i like the nurse) and had a no problems experience today!

Hope this helps anyone who experiences the same problem :)

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nice one scribble, you must be so pleased:)

Reactions: 2 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I
Well I have now been to the Drs, and am pleased to say I left a happy bunny!

Without even much of a word from me except to confirm that yes my existing kit is all signing all dancing, the nurse switched everything back!!!!!

She advised that the switch is not for everyone and not everyone should switch but its easier to transfer everyone over and then move some of us back if its not suitable. For me she advised it wasn't really suitable.

Got to say i had my case for argument all ready and prepared in my head, but am pleased that I didn't have to use any of it (pleased as i like the nurse) and had a no problems experience today!

Hope this helps anyone who experiences the same problem :)

I'm very glad to hear this, but I wonder how many people won't have the confidence to take the matter up as you have done, and will just go along with the new meter because "Doctor/DN knows best"?

Clearly it's going to be unsuitable for some, and I'd have thought they should have done some kind of analysis of those who shouldn't be switched, rather than just moving you all over to a new meter and waiting to see who raises a protest.

But it's saving money, so that's all right then :mad: :(

Reactions: 4 people

EwokBishop

I had this happen a few months ago and was upset because I loved my ContourNext USB meter (which the manufacturer supplied for free).

I tried to get used to the Glucomen meter but found it difficult as it lacked so many features and in particular I missed the ability to add extra blood to the strip and save on wasted strips due to not enough blood.

I mentioned the change to my DN in passing and next this I know she was writing a letter to my surgery telling them that I should keep my preferred meter and have the strips supplied, next time I got a prescription I notice on the repeat list that my test strips had been changed back. Part of me feels guilty that I am costing the NHS more but I hope I'll save them money by keeping my BS under control!

Reactions: 2 people

Simply

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got away with my Nexus mini quite well , but despite having this for a very short time the battery has gone .
Does anyone know if batteries are replaced free as they were with my old test kit