Body Recomposition - it can be done...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've mentioned plenty of times on here that I've been working hard to change my body composition and reduce body fat. It's involved reduced carbs, lots of weights and eating quite a bit differently, but having been tested last night and achieved the first part of my aims, I thought I'd do some sharing to show it can be done.

Mid-August last year, I weighed in at 100.2kg and had a body fat percentage of 25.something percent. The photos that were taken at the time shocked me, and I embarked on a "reduce body fat, get lean" programme. This involved an eright week programme of resistance training three times per week and a strict 2,000 calories per day with limited carbs (60g) and predominantly fat and protein as my calorie sources.

During the first eight week programme, I dropped my body fat percentage from 25% to 14.5% and lost 13kg of bodyweight. Up until the end of November, I took the body fat percentage down to 13.1% then decided to give it a rest over December and the New Year.

Kicking it back off in late February, my body fat percentage was back up at the 14.,5% level and I'd lost a bit of lean mass. Since that point, back on it with a diet that has consisted mostly of protein and fats, with a weekly carb reload, and eating upwards of 2,700 cals per day, I have moved my weight to 92.3kg but my body fat has dropped to 9.9%, below the magical 10% figure. My waist has gone from 36-38 inches to sub 34 inches, which can only be a good thing, and my cholesterol numbers are way better.

The next aim is to reduce my supra-illial fat (love handles) and umbilical fat (belly) below 10mm, to show off what I hope are developing abs! It's taken me nine months of eating what feels like a lot and lots of time in the gym, but I am not displeased with the result. Getting lean as a 39 year old T1 might seem like a big ask, but with careful management of food, insulin and BG levels, it can be achieved, and I am all the better for it. The Libre has also really helped over the last six months.

I guess this is a "If you want to do it, you really can" post, it just takes commitment and dedication. Only 8 weeks to go, so that I am as lean as I want to push for before the summer holidays ;)

Reactions: 12 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Good luck!
BTW misread this as: "Body Decomposition - it can be done..."
:wideyed:

Reactions: 4 people