Blurred vision?

Chris1702

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have now been on insulin for two weeks and I did not have blurred vision before - was on various tablets all of which had unpleasent side effects due to my other medical problems - my BG is going down as my insulin dose increases and I have cut out carbs (and just read about root veg so cut them out as well) as I work from home a lot on the computer the vision problem is worrying - does anyone know how to settle it down such as maybe extra fluids or is it a time thing if so how long before I should worry if it does not settle down? I have recently had my glycoma test which was fine - just before I went on insulin - any thoughts welcome

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When you had your glaucoma test did it include a full eye examination? Or was this a hospital test!
May be worthwhile going to a local optician and asking them their advice.
I wouldn't risk my eyes... Even if you had a full vision and field test done recently I would still get this checked out.
Eyes can take a while to stabilise as they get used to lower levels but me personally I would pop in to see my optician to be sure.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
What were your recent BG levels (before they came down) Chris? I got very blurry eyesight before my diabetes was properly treated. So bad that I had to stop driving because of it.

After I got my BG levels down my eyesight improved, but it took a number of weeks. I'm thinking that perhaps there's a delay or something, and you might still be experiencing the results of your recent high levels.

BTW. Apparently the mechanism of the blurry vision is basically osmosis, causing the uptake of excess fluid into the eyeball and distorting it's shape.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your Blood Glucose levels may well have been high over a lengthy time period before you were placed in Insulin, and during this time your eyes (particularly the lens of the eye) may also have become accustomed to these high levels.
Now that your Blood/ Glucose has come down rapidly over a very short time period, it might indeed take several weeks before your eyes settle back to the changes that having a lower Blood/Glucose level now present.
By all means call by at your optician, or your local eye hospital and seek their professional advice, as with all things that concern the eye, it is always better to be safe now rather than sorry later on.