looking for advise from weight lifters taking insulin

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey guys,
Had some great tips from here since i joined especially with regards to weight loss and dieting, i lost 1.5 stone in around 3-4 months :) control got better , skin better, more energy , more confidence etc. in this time i gained some muscle from body weight exercises. The last 2 months i have been doing a 5x5 weight lifting routine and really enjoying it. Managed a 130 kg squat on saturday which was my goal to achieve by beginning of May.
Im wondering if theres any type 1's on here who are serious into there weights that dont mind messaging or emailing back and forth about various different things rather than clutter the forum with too many threads.
I have gained about 10 lbs of weight in the 2 months of weight training, i have been eating around 2500 calories and introduced more carbs and there fore more insulin. Although my arms,shoulders and chest have gained i seem to have started to loose the ABS i got from 6 months of cardio and low carbs. I am happy with my gains but worried about gaining fat and wondering if its the extra calories and insulin. consuming around 200 grams a day protein and around the same in carbs. my diet is clean.

oats for breakfast
beef or chicken for snack with veg for snack
beef or chicken for lunch with veg for lunch with greek yogurt
afternoon snack of nuts
chicken or beef for dinner with veg or sweet potatoes etc.

in my weight loss period i was eating
oats for breakfast
snack of 2 eggs
lunch 1 chicken breast with salad
snack- yogurt
dinner chicken breast again with salad or veg etc

I was on roughly 1200-1500 a day, i'm now on around 2300-2500 per day. I was on cardio 3 times a week, then upped to 5 times a week for 25 mins each day. Now doing 1.5-2 hours 3 times a week on weights , squats, bench press, overhead press, rows, chin ups, dips, shrugs etc

If anyone can help i can send some photo comparisons and a detailed break down of my training. Don't want to loose all the hard work i put in

stats: age 24, waist 32-33", height 6 foot and weight 84 kg

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Happy to have a chat with you. You are probably gaining fat due to carb amounts. My lean gains have been done with restricted carbs and plenty of fat and protein.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jamesmac, I enjoy 'lifting heavy' but I do it on low Carb high fat. I'm a 5 foot 5 woman, I weigh 60kg and have just deadlifted 60kg. I'm well chuffed. I don't snack on protein, but I am careful because if I don't eat enough I find my numbers drop.
My cardio is circuits twice a week, a session with a trainer, tends to be HIIT and then we do free weights with him showing me the correct form.
He says too much cardio will lose you muscle as well as fat. Don't want to lose me gains! Then chest, shoulders, back and lower work outs. All on less than 50g of carbs a day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I regularly work out, was diagnosed as type 1 6 months ago.

I'm on a high protein diet with as few carbs as I can, seeing some gains.

Reactions: 2 people

ThomasAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I seem to be getting some pretty heavy dawn phenomenon since I've started lifting weights. Anyone know of any correlation?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I seem to be getting some pretty heavy dawn phenomenon since I've started lifting weights. Anyone know of any correlation?
Can't say I've seen a correlation myself. More since I changed insulin away from Lantus.

jodie1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband is a national competitor at the same weight you are 5'6 squatting around 300 kg. he is a big believer relatively low carbohydrate levels for diabetics (a well as for non diabetics).
Carbs taken immediately after training only, amount depending upon the muscles trained. Squats and dead lifts will require more carbs to replace muscle glycogen than bench press etc. the ability to store body fat at this stage from carb intake is reduced and should allow you to stay very lean whilst adding muscle and with the effects of training on muscle physiology will help control your blood sugars post training.