Weetabix

Jojo1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just sent me from 6.2- 11.1 after one hour.
I've been testing two hours after food and just changed to one hour. Eyes opening, can't believe that!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Weetabix are too full of carbs for most of us to cope with. (as with all breakfast cereals). Everyone will spike at one hour after carbs, even non-diabetics, the difference is non-diabetics are well on their way back down at 2 hours, whereas diabetics will struggle to come back down. My advice to you is .... no more Weetabix, and in future test at 1 hour and again at 2 hours to see if your natural insulin is responding.

Jojo1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder what normal people spike to? Thanks for reply. Think I will turn into a rabbit

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not try testing one of your non-diabetic family after eating the same food as yourself? (Before and after) Several people on here have done this and some results are very surprising. My own husband reached 11 something an hour after a roast dinner and pudding, but was back to where he started at 2 hours. (4.5 from memory)

Jojo1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its gone to 9.7 after two hours. Really disappointing after lots of readings in 7s after food :( will try to get someone to test on!!!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Porridge can cause a huge jump too, another 'healthy' cereal recommended by the NHS!

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder what normal people spike to? Thanks for reply. Think I will turn into a rabbit

tested me girlfriends sugars 2 hours after weetbix and she was 5.7 but she aint diabetic

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its gone to 9.7 after two hours. Really disappointing after lots of readings in 7s after food :(

If you want nice readings, unfortunately you have to keep to nice type 2 friendly food, and that usually doesn't include cereals..:eek:. So you really do have to eat to your meter to keep on that winning streak!

I think when "normal" people spike, their bodies are able to handle their spikes correctly where we can't. :(

Robbity

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my experience
When you first wake up, is a very unique time of day.
As you wake up all your hormones are kicking in, to get you ready for the day.
Seems unbelievable, but even if you do not eat breakfast, you will find your sugar level shoots up dramatically.
In my case it is to the extent that even if missing breakfast, I need a bigger dose of insulin than I take before all other meals during the day, this is just to cope with this waking up jump.

I have been type 1 diabetic since age 12 (for 42 years) and was unaware of this myself until getting a Dexcom continuous metre six months ago.
The Dexcom really brings home the importance of injecting 25 minutes before eating. You see dramatic spikes on the display if you don't.

The continious meters are expensive but I believe most Health care providers have demonstration ones that can be trailed for a week or so, it would certainly be worthwhile if you can get a trial, opened my eyes no end,

i can confirm that the Dexcom continious sensor although supposed to last only 7 days last far longer. I'm averaging three weeks use from each (£65) sensor (the least time I have got was 13 days lhe longest time a sensor has lasted, well that's the one that Im currently using, now been in for an amazing 35 days that's well over a month for something that is only supposed to work for 7 days and it still going strong)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
I have no cravings for Weetabix! Waste of carbs in my view. If I want a spike, I'll pick something nicer!
Adam

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I have Tesco value Weetabix - much lower carbs than proper Weetabix and just as satisfying (!), pays to shop around. I guess I'm lucky in that if i do spike on it, its back down in the 6's by two hours later

fillipe54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have weetabix 2 times a week and yes it does raise my bg but I love them. I don't have any sugar in my food, except a scraping of marmalade once a week. I have also lost 2 stone and 3 lbs in 8 Months. GRANOLA! !!!!!!

Reactions: lorraine95

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I have Tesco value Weetabix - much lower carbs than proper Weetabix and just as satisfying (!), pays to shop around. I guess I'm lucky in that if i do spike on it, its back down in the 6's by two hours later

I wanted to believe you as i loved my cereals too, so i had a look at the product details but i'm afraid they don't, see the carb content info, they are both pretty much the same. 2 x biscuits = 26g unless you mean another brand at tesco?

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254852938&sc_cmp=tp4_aff_1018132

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=254852973

What i never get is why they actually put sugar in the cereal, does my nut in, there is no point. The way they display the sugar content is quite misleading sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this as well with Weeabix. My BG would go from 6 to 11. That's when I realised the "5grams per 100 of what sugars" isn't fine (instructions from my DN) I even switched to Arla lactofree milk (half the carbs of normal milk) and it didn't alter anything. I even tried cinnamon on the Weetabix. I haven't eaten Weetabix for 6 months now. Walls light ice cream and Tesco's Frozen Cream Eclairs have less sugar than 1 weetabix with normal milk.