Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Said for some time now but must get round to trying this 100% chocolate, is it not too overpowering and bitter?

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
For me it is rather bitter - I find the Ecuadorian variety to be least bitter. Hence my comment to @tim2000s that he can manage 100g of the stuff as I only manage 60g in multiple sessions.

Reactions: 2 people
G

gemma6549

For me it is rather bitter - I find the Ecuadorian variety to be least bitter. Hence my comment to @tim2000s that he can manage 100g of the stuff as I only manage 60g in multiple sessions.

Do you know the carb content per 100g for this particular bar? Cannot find any nutritional info on the hotel chocolat site.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
All those I've seen with a value have been 9-10g carbs per 100g, so I think it is safe to use that.

G

gemma6549

All those I've seen with a value have been 9-10g carbs per 100g, so I think it is safe to use that.

Thanks, I'm gunna try the Lindt 90% first as it's only 4g more per 100g and much cheaper :) although I do live near the hotel chocolat factory where they have a discount shop!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Wow, I never thought when I started this "Easter" thread there'd be so many posts. 27 and still counting!! I've obviously touched on a soft spot with fellow Ds :)

Reactions: 4 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Do you know the carb content per 100g for this particular bar? Cannot find any nutritional info on the hotel chocolat site.
I know it is 2g per 35g slab. Hotel Choclat, in my experience, have good customer service too - I have called/emailed a few times asking for nutritional information and they have responded almost immediately.

They also have a diabetics section (note NOT diabetic chocolate!!) http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/shop/collections/dietary/diabetic-chocolate
and a low carb section http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/shop/collections/dietary/low-carb
on their website with some nice suggestions.

PS. I don't work for Hotel Chocolat, honest!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I know it is 2g per 35g slab. Hotel Choclat, in my experience, have good customer service too - I have called/emailed a few times asking for nutritional information and they have responded almost immediately.

They also have a diabetics section (note NOT diabetic chocolate!!) http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/shop/collections/dietary/diabetic-chocolate
and a low carb section http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/shop/collections/dietary/low-carb
on their website with some nice suggestions.

PS. I don't work for Hotel Chocolat, honest!!!

Okay, we believe you ;) I love your avatar :cat: RRB :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
**** this thread. Had to go to Hotel Chocolat (which is five mins away) and came away with this....

6d6b4b630d07166d1b170c9ce8fa5de6.jpg

G

gemma6549

Hi gemma6549, perhaps try it with cream and a little sweetner for a hot choc' drink

I did think that, but I just don't think it would satisfy my jaws need to chomp on something!!

I don't really worry about chocolate anyway, if I want some I just have it and inject to cover it.

Just would've been good to find an alternative that didn't require insulin.

I've emailed hotel chocolat for the carb content of their 65% super milk version

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I did think that, but I just don't think it would satisfy my jaws need to chomp on something!!

I don't really worry about chocolate anyway, if I want some I just have it and inject to cover it.

Just would've been good to find an alternative that didn't require insulin.

I've emailed hotel chocolat for the carb content of their 65% super milk version
Let us know::))

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone at work gave me a box of Lindt 70% chocolate mini eggs - about 3 carbs each. I won't try them til Sunday though but hopefully they'll be ok particularly as I can manage 2 squares of the Lindt Orange and Almond chocolate

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Will do.

When I'm feeling a bit better I will mix the rest of the Lindt with some hot cream and make my own truffles.

Don't like to throw things away :) well not food anyway!!
Yum ::)) ps get well soon::))

Last edited by a moderator:

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you could change to long acting and novo rapid and do the DAFNE course you would find it a lot less restricting :)
I agree with this comment. There are so many restrictions using mixed insulins...long lasting and quick acting insulins give you better BSs control and of course please do DAFNE.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I agree with this comment. There are so many restrictions using mixed insulins...long lasting and quick acting insulins give you better BSs control and of course please do DAFNE.
I have not been at all keen to switch from mixed to the basal/bolus regime as the idea of carb counting and injecting 5 times a day is a bit off putting. However, I'm now realising I do have restrictions in order to keep my bg levels within my target (no less than 5 and no more than 9). My hospital is not a DAFNE centre, so I have no access to the course, but could my DSN swap me over without me doing the course? Lastly, could I be given a pump to avoid the multiple injections per day or would I have to wait ages for one?