Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Hi Projectmorris,
My Desmond stuff had some stuff about mental well-being but they never really hit on it on the course.
Sounds as if you're making good progress with the blood sugars and weight, but the little demons in your head have taken over.
Try and let your physical progress buoy you up. In the meantime, talk to your gp - they will have useful ideas for stuff to straighten you out until the dog goes home.
Best wishes
Adam (also aiming for 80kg, but stuck on 83)

Reactions: 2 people

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
Hi Projectmorris,
My Desmond stuff had some stuff about mental well-being but they never really hit on it on the course.
Sounds as if you're making good progress with the blood sugars and weight, but the little demons in your head have taken over.
Try and let your physical progress buoy you up. In the meantime, talk to your gp - they will have useful ideas for stuff to straighten you out until the dog goes home.
Best wishes
Adam (also aiming for 80kg, but stuck on 83)
---------
Hi Adam yes I'm stuck too.

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok Boys and Girls here are my latest results from tests on the 2nd February.

Hba1c: target 59 Mmol/mol actual 4 8 mmol
Cholesterol: target <4 Mmol actual 2.9 Mmol/lchf
Blood Pressure: target <140/80 actual 137/80
Weight & BMI: 87kg target BMI 19-25 actual 24.8 O/E weight
Foot risk: Left & Right at low risk
Eye test: Clear.

New weight target 85kg However I'm actually going to go for 80kg

What does O/E stand for?

That is amazing! Not sure I'll manage that but trying all the same :)

I don't know what O/E stands for either.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @ProjectMorris How you feeling today any better?

Looked at your numbers there pretty good, an HbA1c of 48 is the Diabetic range, 48 & above is diabetic, anything down to 42 is Pre Diabetic, so OK ish for you and then 41 & below is the 5% club where although you may still be diabetic, you are out of the diabetic range. I was 46 within 3 months managed down to 41 on LCHF and enjoying the food.

If you start watching your carbs and eating to your meter you will be soon down further.

If it's any consolation when I went on the 'desmond course' there was a Guy who had an HbA1c of 157, they still told him he could have anything in moderation.

How often are you testing ?

Neil

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF + Exercise + Monitoring = Win

Above is the equation to success, I believe with the right control and exercise diabetes needn't be a progressive disease at all, more a condition that with the right discipline helps motivate most to live far longer than they might have without even being diagnosed.

For me personally, I have turned diabetes into a true positive, and I firmly believe as above you can hit the brakes on diabetic progression while improving your health, energy, strength and mental well being.

Follow the above equation, and look forward to a happy healthy long life.

Nothing to fear here folks, move along!!

Daks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF + Exercise + Monitoring = Win

Above is the equation to success, I believe with the right control and exercise diabetes needn't be a progressive disease at all, more a condition that with the right discipline helps most to live far longer than they might have without even being diagnosed.

For me personally, I have turned diabetes into a true positive, and I firmly believe as above you can hit the brakes on diabetic progression while improving your health, energy, strength and mental well being.

Daks
Hi Daks Couldn't agree more, my nurse said to me this may be a wake up call to a better life, and she was right.

Well said, mate....:)

Neil

Reactions: 4 people

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
Hi Neil. I don't have a set schedule and to be honest i stopped completely over Xmas as the readings were just beginning to pi## me off. I'm trying to get back on. To 2 or 3 times a day. The thing is that if I get a high reading I get anxious and then the dog is at the door and it's all negative from there on in.

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
All.... Low carbs. ..got that...High fat...."say what?"..
Doesn't lc&hf diet = Arterial Sclerosis --> Heart Attack?

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Daks, at the moment my mental well being is the main concern

It's a pretty dark and frighting place to be when first diagnosed, the key here in knowledge, the more you understand and learn to control diabetes the more you'll shed your fear of it.

Go slow, relax and read read read, don't be afraid to ask questions, you'll soon start to feel better.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
No, that's old and discredited dogma. Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs make you fat. You need the calories from the fat to offset those formerly gained from the carbs.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @ProjectMorris
Yep I've been there, a panic when you see the big numbers. I still get some high numbers, (what I call high) up to 10.5 had some cake for the first time., but it soon dropped. If you have a high, and are anxious, and you can go for a brisk walk, I know it's a pain but that will reduce it.

Now, you have to test, and get '****** off' co's you need to eat initially, and I say initially to your meter.

What meter do you have, Most on here have the SD code free, strips are about £6.00 for 50 one of the cheapest. I say this because initially, you will be testing, (if you want to come along), about 11 times a day, (sore fingers). I'm only testing 5/6 times a day now because I know what to eat. If you need a link for the code free tell me.

You need to test each meal, or combination of foods you have. Your breakfast I would be surprised if that is not giving you high numbers the porridge.

Every meal you will need to test just before you start to eat, then 1 hr & 2hrs very occasionally 3hrs. You are looking from you first reading not more than a 2mmol/l rise to 1hr and decreasing at 2hrs. If you get more than a 2mmol/l rise between the first and next readings then there is something in the food 'Carbs' that either needs reducing or removing.

I am not able to tolerate more than 1/2 an apple, a hand full of raisins Granola, any cereal, so have Full Fat Yogurt berries, or 1/2 an apple sprinkling of granola and Flaxseed. Or eggs any which way, or eggs and Bacon, mushrooms all for breakfast.

Do you know about the reversal or remission of diabetes, there are several people on here that have managed that.

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
10.5. Is high? Oh sh#t.....Testing 11 times a day. ...that won't happen......******** looks like we are back to the high building. ..

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10.5. Is high? Oh sh#t.....Testing 11 times a day. ...that won't happen......******** looks like we are back to the high building. ..

Don't know what to say, do you want me to kid you, or tell, or at least suggest the best way to get your numbers under control. If you don't want to test how will you know how the food your eating is affecting you and what you should avoid, what do you want to do?

Neil

C

catherinecherub

Recently diagnosed T2.

feeling really low, not just a bit ticked off but real "black dog"..

What is the long term trajectory for type 2 '?

What are these complications, how common are they? Are they inevitable, are we Kanute style trying to hold back the tide?

If the arc is eyes, then lower limbs, then I might try a couple of my favourite things folliwed by a high building

Hi,

I think you are still coming to terms with your diagnosis.

Read through these links and they should put your mind at rest as to your reaction.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/diabetic-emotional-issues.html

Before, though we may have paid lip service to the fact, we had not really understood all the consequences. By now we have had time to talk to other people about it, read up on it and maybe visit online forums where others talk about their situations. This, though good as far as educating us goes, has a down side.

Suddenly we are made aware of all the complications that can develop, and worse, we begin to realise that it is with us for life.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html

You have a disease that requires a total lifestyle change, often with an associated 'giving up' of many things that before you deemed made life worth living and you are supposed to just forget all that?

I am not saying that one should not concentrate on the positive but I am saying we are all human and unless you are Pollyanna or a Saint you are going to experience feelings of loss and the negative emotions associated with this.

Reactions: 11 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

your body is running on 40-60% fat now
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8BY4fyLvZc

upload_2015-4-1_13-43-45.png

Reactions: 8 people

ProjectMorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having Diabetes
Neil, nobody I have been in contact with regarding my diagnosis has suggested testing at that level.

You asked me what I want to do..... I want it to stop