Expected for quite some time, and now diagnosed - Hello Type 2, not nice to meet you

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Scottish accent is by far the best accent ever created. I remember that we had a presentation by an event agency last year, and the boss was having the best Glasgow accent I have EVER heard. I would have agreed to anything he proposed just based on that, I couldn't stop grinning :D Although I still have problems understanding it sometimes (never mentioned that, but I'm German, moved to England 4 years ago for a job - planning to get naturalised in 2017)

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Hergen . welcome to the club.Liking your posts.. :cool:

I kinda guessed from the name.. German. ;) Where in Germany do you hale from?

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Care to elaborate? :)

I just hit the magic 5mmol for the first time just now. Bit pleased with myself, I have to admit.
That's great stuff. What diet you doing?
As to my post it's just that what the DN will say about diet is nothing like the diets that work that people on here follow.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jack412
and that whole grain gives it off a whole lot slower, I don't really expect much of a spike from it. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, though!
That's the Glycemic load that causes a slower effect & less of a spike.
I use GL alot to keep the higher readings down so I get a lower overall average.

Reactions: 2 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
The Scottish accent is by far the best accent ever created. I remember that we had a presentation by an event agency last year, and the boss was having the best Glasgow accent I have EVER heard. I would have agreed to anything he proposed just based on that, I couldn't stop grinning :D Although I still have problems understanding it sometimes (never mentioned that, but I'm German, moved to England 4 years ago for a job - planning to get naturalised in 2017)

Thank you, kind sir. If you thought the Glasgow accent was the best you've ever heard you really need to hear an Edinburgh one or a Highland one. I'm aware that listening to two Scots talking to each other is almost like listening to foreigners but when we're speaking to other English speakers we just have to slow down a little and put on a posher accent. Of course, I already have the posh Edinburgh one! The Glaswegians reckon we are of the 'fur coat and nae knickers variety!

When visiting Germany many years ago, and trying out some 'school' German, I was complimented on my pronunciations. I think it was because I could use the guttural sounds very easily (such as in loch).

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahhh, so many replies, heh! One by one :)
Hi @Hergen . welcome to the club.Liking your posts.. :cool:

I kinda guessed from the name.. German. ;) Where in Germany do you hale from?

Cheers :) I'm originally from Bremen, northern Germany. Hence why I was more than happy to move to Shoeburyness - I can walk down to a North Sea beach, there is nothing that can beat this for me. Okay, maybe if I win the lottery, a house on the Hebrides would be a dream. My job won't let me move into any more remote regions, but I'm a major fan of the countryside. Funny thing - the name is originally Nordic in origin, and even my family has not the slightest idea where the surname comes from - it's very rare even on a global scale.

That's great stuff. What diet you doing?
As to my post it's just that what the DN will say about diet is nothing like the diets that work that people on here follow.
No specific one. I literally go through all the food groups and test what influences me how, and then choose what I can to keep my blood sugar low. But my general baseline is 150g of carbs a day, preferably in the form of whole grains. I try to mix a lot of tomatoes and eggs into my diet, as I absolutely love them and especially eggs are satiating (no issues with cholesterol, thankfully).

Thank you, kind sir. If you thought the Glasgow accent was the best you've ever heard you really need to hear an Edinburgh one or a Highland one. I'm aware that listening to two Scots talking to each other is almost like listening to foreigners but when we're speaking to other English speakers we just have to slow down a little and put on a posher accent. Of course, I already have the posh Edinburgh one! The Glaswegians reckon we are of the 'fur coat and nae knickers variety!

When visiting Germany many years ago, and trying out some 'school' German, I was complimented on my pronunciations. I think it was because I could use the guttural sounds very easily (such as in loch).
Hehe, there is a common joke among expats in regards to language. There are tons of variations of it, but it goes something like this:

• When you go to France and try to speak French, the French will be mildly pleased and offer you pronunciation tips.
  • When you go to Italy and try to speak Italian, they will be amazed and invite you to their family dinner.
  • When you go to America and try to speak English (as a Brit), you will be told that you speak funny, but that they still like you.
  • When you go to Germany and try to speak German, they will change the conversation to perfect Oxford English entirely, commend your efforts and start a discussion about the latest series of Doctor Who.

It's obviously just a joke, but for some reason a lot of Germans love English ;) We all learn it rather early, and for me, it was always fascinating. Of course there are also people who never cared about it, but if you're for instance standing at the counter of a butcher, there is usually at least one person in the room who can help it.

And I'm definitely planning to have a vacation up north in the coming years!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhh, so many replies, heh! One by one :)

Cheers :) I'm originally from Bremen, northern Germany.

• When you go to Germany and try to speak German, they will change the conversation to perfect Oxford English entirely, commend your efforts and start a discussion about the latest series of Doctor Who.

Lol. I'd say this is partly true regarding my experience dealing with receptionists in German hotels.. ;) However a vast majority of the Germans (& indeed the Dutch.) I have met in the circles I've mixed, try to emulate the cliches reserved for Van Halen lyrics or late 80s MTV presenters.. Especially after a few beers! :):cool: \m/\m/

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No specific one. I literally go through all the food groups and test what influences me how, and then choose what I can to keep my blood sugar low. But my general baseline is 150g of carbs a day, preferably in the form of whole grains. I try to mix a lot of tomatoes and eggs into my diet, as I absolutely love them and especially eggs are satiating (no issues with cholesterol, thankfully).
That's the way to do it. Good stuff.
Increasing fats & having eggs shouldn't affect cholesterol contrary to Nhs advice which was back by tests on Rabbits apparently. It's the sugar,carbs & starch that do most the damage.

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the way to do it. Good stuff.
Increasing fats & having eggs shouldn't affect cholesterol contrary to Nhs advice which was back by tests on Rabbits apparently. It's the sugar,carbs & starch that do most the damage.
Yeah I've read the recent findings - monosaturated fats actually help lower the cholesterol level, so using good quality extra-virgin olive oil and similar products can potentially balance out a high cholesterol intake.

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well then! Just got back from my first diabetes nurse appointment, and she was actually quite happy. Seems I did everything right. Blood pressure fantastic, no signs of neuropathy in the feet, she was actually quite impressed with the curve of my blood sugar readings. Not so happy that I use mayo on my sandwich, but meeeh :p Can't please 'em all!

She tried staying strict, but for some reason people sometimes have problems with that in my vicinity :angelic:

I did another experiment last weekend, and while I spiked after an hour, after the usual waiting time of 2 hours I was in the acceptable range. All in all - nothing to complain about right now!

Reactions: 9 people

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you have advanced to T2 expert level very quickly indeed and we are all admiring your Lebensfreude. I'm a Scot, brought up mainly in England, but have spent lots of time in the Freiburg area of Germany. I agree with WeeFergus that a Scottish throat can master a soft 'ch' better than most. I'm not sure I met many perfect English speakers in all those years though. You, however, seem to be the exception.

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really have to venture up north at some point. And in regards to my English skills - I remember when we got cable television, when I was about 6 or so. There was one English channel, and I was glued to it, constantly asking my parents what they were talking about. English subsequently became the one subject at school that I managed to get really good grades in. And then I was lucky enough to find a job for a US company (and now a Japanese one, although thankfully the work language is English).

In other news, I just got a easter care pack from my parents in Germany. It contained sugar free cookies... with 64g of carbs per 100g. And the bad kind on top of that (maltitol/isomalt)... Ah well, I'll keep them in the cupboard as a rare treat or for guests.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading the ingredients list on groceries is certainly an eye-opener when you start searching for low carb things rather than just low sugar. It sometimes seems like deliberate health sabotage on a worldwide scale.

We lived in Eindhoven (Netherlands) for a while and met the manager of a local fast food place, who was fluent in both English and German (and other European languages). He also said he started young with foreign language TV channels and cartoons.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well then! Just got back from my first diabetes nurse appointment, and she was actually quite happy. Seems I did everything right. Blood pressure fantastic, no signs of neuropathy in the feet, she was actually quite impressed with the curve of my blood sugar readings. Not so happy that I use mayo on my sandwich, but meeeh :p Can't please 'em all!

She tried staying strict, but for some reason people sometimes have problems with that in my vicinity :angelic:

I did another experiment last weekend, and while I spiked after an hour, after the usual waiting time of 2 hours I was in the acceptable range. All in all - nothing to complain about right now!

Well done, Hergen. I just read a post on another thread that was saying the poster didn't really need a pat on the back from a dinosaur. I think that probably applies to your DN not being so happy with your use of mayo.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I really have to venture up north at some point. And in regards to my English skills - I remember when we got cable television, when I was about 6 or so. There was one English channel, and I was glued to it, constantly asking my parents what they were talking about. English subsequently became the one subject at school that I managed to get really good grades in. And then I was lucky enough to find a job for a US company (and now a Japanese one, although thankfully the work language is English).

In other news, I just got a easter care pack from my parents in Germany. It contained sugar free cookies... with 64g of carbs per 100g. And the bad kind on top of that (maltitol/isomalt)... Ah well, I'll keep them in the cupboard as a rare treat or for guests.

I'm sure you'll love it up here. It might be wet sometimes, it might be cold sometimes but it's a great wee country. When much younger I lived in Los Angeles, California for 3 years and, despite the fact that the grass was greener (not literally, you understand), it was not my shade of green.

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mhm, so I'm a bit perplexed. I had an appointment with my GP today to talk about the blood results. And they were great - apparently the hbA1c dropped "very nicely" (even though it's barely been a month), although she didn't give me an exact number. She sounded rather pleased. As mentioned before, the Diabetes Nurse (same practice) was the same, and was happy with my diet.

What confuses me is that she upped my Metformin dose (from 3x500g throughout the day to 2x in the morning and 2x in the evening), despite me being at a pretty much perfect 6.5 median, which would roughly be a hbA1c of 38 or so, AND told me she wants to see me on a 700kcal diet. She actually said, and I quote: "you essentially have to starve yourself a little". Now, in the last 20 years, I have gone through a ton of dietary exercise. And one of my doctors almost ripped me apart for trying to go that low, because the basic metabolic requirements for someone of my weight are actually higher than for someone with normal weight (i.e. the heart is enlarged and needs more energy to keep blood pumping through more soft tissue, etc.), and that such a harsh low caloric diet could cause serious issues for me.

She has booked me for a dietitian, so what the dietitian says will ultimately count, but... this has me a bit worried. What's the best strategy in such a case? Because what I am doing right now is evidently working. Just stay mumm about it and wait for the appointment with a dietitian?

jason134

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
Hiya if I was you I would stick with what you are doing. I don't know your size but 700 cals is to low rapid weight loss is no good for your health