Blood levels.

natalier90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there. Just after a bit of advice really.

Our son has had type 1 for 3 weeks now and the past three days we've had pretty stable readings all in the 4-8 range. We are carb counting which is a life saver but can any one advice how to keep stable levels?

He's going away to the seaside with my sister for a week and would like him to be able to have those seaside chips and icecream ( if the weather isn't too dull lol )

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thank you in advance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is your boy on basal/bolus natalier?

If he is you do have to be careful when bolusing for foods like chips due to the high-fat content, high-fat foods can delay the absorption of the carbs and lead to postprandial hypo's if you give the full insulin dose upfront, it's probably best that you speak with his DSN about this and they will advise you further.

Hope he has a great time btw :)

Reactions: 2 people

ClareF

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
It's not always easy to keep kids levels stable as different foods, exercise, illness etc can all have an unpredictable affect, I'm afraid.

I would be on call for advice but be prepared for some higher or lower levels. Just make sure your sister is trained in what to do and don't panic, I'm sure he will have a great time. My sons 14 and we find the 4-8 range very hard to maintain!

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Normal fasting (without eating for eight hours) is 80 to 110. After eating as long as you don't go over 140, you're normal. The sugar in the coffee could have put you up there.

I had no noticeable signs when I was diagnosed. You should get checked every year.