Early Pregnancy Highs and Frustration

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm feeling very frustrated with some highs at week 5. I'm not going much above 10 but there's more of them than I would like and lots of 9's and 8's. I just can't seem to get my readings lower than 8ish for the most part despite constantly increasing my basal rates over the last 2 weeks. And every time I seem to be getting more in range I'm getting lows, and my regular low treatment is shooting me back up to 9 or 10. My average reading over the last 7 days is 7.3, so not terrible, but not as tight as it should/could be. I've done basal testing a few times but within 2-3 days the rates that tested fine need to be raised again so it feels a bit pointless right now.

Today is actually going all right (highest reading was 6) but I just got off the phone with my endo and it left me feeling more frustrated because I know she wants to see the numbers lower on average. On top of it all, I've had recurring ear infections for 2 months and after finishing antibiotics on Friday it's back in full force. Luckily an ENT can see me tomorrow morning and my endo knows that might be causing some of the higher readings.

It sounds like most folks find their sugars drop a bit as the weeks go on but that hasn't happened yet. I don't use my CGM because I haven't successfully gotten it to work and I think I would find it more stressful to be wearing it - preferring to just test more often and chart it by hand. It's hard to get a really consistent schedule going too because life happens. I'm trying to cut carbs as much as I can because that's helped me get back in line in the past.

Mostly I'm just feeling the need to vent to others who have some experience of the diabetes frustrations and I know I'm feeling extra frustrated because I'm feeling sick on top of it all with the ear stuff and can't take my usual painkillers/sinus meds (paracetamol does next to nothing for me).

jade88

Hey sleepyheadzzz your not alone I am also dealing with unexplainable highs! Seems to be an hr after eating but today they were 22 after breakfast and 17 after dinner which led me to freak out and over correct leading to 2 awful hypos! I don't know about you but finding this exhausting aswell as frustrating! xxx

Reactions: 2 people

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Jade88, it's really really really nice to have a place to vent to others who 'get it' a bit more. My husband let his boss know what was going on because we're both stressed and she said something to him like, "Oh yeah, when I was pregnant blah blah blah..." but I just find that frustrating because it's a really different experience with diabetes.

I feel bad for my husband because he's trying so hard to be supportive I find it a bit smothering but I know he's just trying to help.

I was low 4 times for about 3 hours this afternoon so it seems if its not one way its the other.

I hope the stress evens out a bit after a few weeks - partly need to figure out how to cope with it a bit better.

G

gemma6549

Sounds like you are both doing all you can to care for yourselves and your growing babies. Try not to stress too much ladies :)

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi girls. You both sound like you're doing really well in difficult situations. Are you remembering to tear for ketones with these highs? Have you had input from your diabetes team yet if having such big swings? As you said sleepyheadzzz it is great for having somewhere to vent...I found this place a life saver during my recent pregnancy. Keep up the hard work, it's totally worth it in the end! X

jade88

No I didn't even think to test for ketones haven't had any this high in s while thanks will check next time I get one! I did some basal testing today and seems I'm not taking enough! Within 5 hrs of waking/fasting they steadily rose from 6 to 12!

Gemma I know exactly how you feel it seemed to consume every waking minute of the day! It felt like it was taking forever to fall now when I think about it it was only 4 months but felt a lot longer! You'll be there soon just concentrate on keeping your control tight so it will be easier when you do fall!

Reactions: 3 people

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today has been better. Saw my ENT and it turns out I don't have an ear infection, but I had dried ear drops stuck to my ear drum causing infection symptoms. Now that it's been cleared out it feels much better so that piece of stress if gone (can't believe how much better I can hear too!).

Luckily no ketone issues on my end but I now seem to be entering the lower bloodsugar phase because I was low most of yesterday and again today, so dropping everything back. Still frustrating to deal with the constantly changing rates but my head space is better today.

Anyone have sleep issues? I've never had trouble detecting my lows but I keep waking up with a start of adrenaline and thinking I'm low when I'm not and it makes it hard to relax and get back to sleep - lots of tossing and turning and waking up way too early despite feeling exhausted. Hoping as I get more and more used to being pregnant that'll subside.

Thanks for the support ladies!

G

gemma6549

No I didn't even think to test for ketones haven't had any this high in s while thanks will check next time I get one! I did some basal testing today and seems I'm not taking enough! Within 5 hrs of waking/fasting they steadily rose from 6 to 12!

Gemma I know exactly how you feel it seemed to consume every waking minute of the day! It felt like it was taking forever to fall now when I think about it it was only 4 months but felt a lot longer! You'll be there soon just concentrate on keeping your control tight so it will be easier when you do fall!

Hi jade, that's good you've done the basal testing, hopefully once increasing that has taken effect it will make things a bit easier.

I know I'm being silly and as I've said before very impatient, just can't seem to stop thinking about it. Plus I take every little thing as a possible pregnancy symptom!!

G

gemma6549

Today has been better. Saw my ENT and it turns out I don't have an ear infection, but I had dried ear drops stuck to my ear drum causing infection symptoms. Now that it's been cleared out it feels much better so that piece of stress if gone (can't believe how much better I can hear too!).

Luckily no ketone issues on my end but I now seem to be entering the lower bloodsugar phase because I was low most of yesterday and again today, so dropping everything back. Still frustrating to deal with the constantly changing rates but my head space is better today.

Anyone have sleep issues? I've never had trouble detecting my lows but I keep waking up with a start of adrenaline and thinking I'm low when I'm not and it makes it hard to relax and get back to sleep - lots of tossing and turning and waking up way too early despite feeling exhausted. Hoping as I get more and more used to being pregnant that'll subside.

Thanks for the support ladies!

Glad it turned out not be an infection and now you are getting a bit of relief and feeling better :)

I read a lot about low sugar levels in the first trimester so it's interesting to know where in that trimester it's happening.

The sleep thing, do you think it's a bit of an anxiety thing because your worried about going low? Like you say the further you progress I'm sure things will become easier

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad it turned out not be an infection and now you are getting a bit of relief and feeling better :)

I read a lot about low sugar levels in the first trimester so it's interesting to know where in that trimester it's happening.

The sleep thing, do you think it's a bit of an anxiety thing because your worried about going low? Like you say the further you progress I'm sure things will become easier

I think the sleep thing is just all the anxiety combined. I already have trouble sleeping from time to time so with so much on my mind it doesn't help. I'm taking a stress reduction course in a couple of weeks so I think the timing is perfect. I've read that it's not uncommon to feel exhausted but have trouble sleeping in the first trimester.

G

gemma6549

That does sound like good timing , hopefully that will give you some good techniques for managing stress, and hopefully then in time the sleep will get better.

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How are you doing, Jade? My days at work seem to be harder to get in control, but I'm off until next Wednesday and it's such a relief. Had a bit of a meltdown yesterday after work again stressing about a few higher numbers but doing much better today. I read a study that said between weeks 3-7 lots of people experience an 18% increase in insulin needs before they drop back a lot.

I started feeling a little nauseous yesterday and today it's much worse - no actual sickness yet but feeling like it could happen anytime. Might have to take some more time of work but we'll see how it goes.

jade88

Hi sleepyheadzzz doing much better now I've adjusted my basal in morning - still having the odd 11 but much better than 17!
I know it's hard but try not to stress it can't be good for you or baby! I spoke to my team again yesterday and told them about the highs - they said that as long as I'm correcting their not too worried - they said they'd be more worried if they were constantly high!
I have had no nausea or sickness it feels weird like I'm not actually pregnant lol! Do you know yet when you will have your first appt? xxx

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My first appointment with my endo is at 8 weeks and we'll decide on who my obstetrician will be then. My GP scheduled a prenatal for 10 weeks - seems so far away. Are yours coming up soon?

jade88

Got to call the midwife at week 8 to book appt but been told I'll be seen earlier than usual! My appt with doc is booked for week 8! xxx

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ugh, still dealing with more highs than I was expecting at this point. I'm at 9 weeks 6 days.
Unfortunately it seems like most of them are due to insertion site issues.

I was a bit annoyed with my endo when I sent some numbers a few weeks back and she responded with, "You know that for non-diabetics they usually sit between 3.5-4.5?" Yes, thank you (sarcasm). I realize my numbers are higher than they should be but I'm trying very hard to change that. I explained how that comment stressed me out and she was better the next conversation.

Did others feel like they had to constantly change basal rates at this stage? I was hoping things would have evened out a bit more, but one week I'm lowering all the rates because I'm constantly low and the next I'm running around 10 or 11 and having to raise the rates again. My average according to my meter is at 7 right now, so still not terrible but thought I'd have it more in line by now.

Trying out the new enlite sensor today so hopefully that will help things along.