FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I'm not sure what's happened with this one .... it was also scarily in-line with my finger pricks but now has suddenly been running high. Not sure if I've hit it or something :-/
That is odd, mine always run low of anything. Is it following a trend though?

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering if the reader can be hacked to enable longer than 14 days out of a sensor.

I know a few people who routinely get 20-24 days out of a dexcom sensor.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed something strange....

My sensor has been very accurate. 3 times it has given low readings. On all 3 of these occasions it read low 4s and my finger tests low 6s (normally it's in 0.5 range). How is that odd you ask?

On all 3 of these occasions I tested because I felt very very hungry (hypo hungry), but BG wasn't actually low. 3 times can't be a coincidence.

Does the fluid know more than blood?

Note I low carb, so it's not down to swinging. I've been between 5 and 6.5 for about a week

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm not sure @Emmotha, but it raises a physiological question that I have been wondering about. Is your core blood glucose, your capillary blood glucose or your interstitial fluid glucose the most appropriate to use? All cells are bathed in interstitial fluid, feed by the capillary system. At a point in time when your ifg may be lower, your liver may have dumped glycogen and your bg level may be Hypo.

What is your true state? The fluid surrounding your cells and by proxy the cells are in Hypo at this point, even if your blood isn't...

Reactions: 2 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got Mine Yesterday Been Wearing it for about 24 hours now, so Far im really really impressed, ive only been using my blood meter when im dosing insulin or driving but so far the results are matching up within 1MMOL which i can get that difference by just using a different finger for blood.

this really is the most life changing invention ive ever had.

The Trends and graphs are an amazing tool.

i was planning on only using it when im on holiday or out of routine but ive really become addicted to it already.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My sensor has been very accurate. 3 times it has given low readings. On all 3 of these occasions it read low 4s and my finger tests low 6s (normally it's in 0.5 range). How is that odd you ask?

On all 3 of these occasions I tested because I felt very very hungry (hypo hungry), but BG wasn't actually low. 3 times can't be a coincidence.

Note I low carb, so it's not down to swinging. I've been between 5 and 6.5 for about a week

I definitely get the impression that the fluid sometimes knows more than the blood - is all v interesting.
Mostly the lags are the way I'd expect them to be (and most of my sensors have been great or a wee bit high), but there are definitely hypo situations where Libre seems to see them before the glucose meter. Often enough not just to be coincidence, I think...

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just got my Freestyle Optium BS test sticks and im glad to say my Bloods totally match My Sensor
(it did match my freestyle lite but best do it all in one machine)

This is 4th day now so im waiting for the 5 day drift apart I read about (hope its a myth)

Also the next sensor could be completely different - who knows :¬)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is 4th day now so im waiting for the 5 day drift apart I read about (hope its a myth)
I'd describe that as "one of many symptoms that a variety of people have seen".

When things break, it is inconsistent and not normally easily identifiable as to the cause. I have never seen the "five day drift" that you describe. I have, however, seen all this:

First review: http://crick-tech-munch.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/is-it-really-so-long-my-view-of-abbott.html

Subsequent Posts: http://crick-tech-munch.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=#freestylelibre

Might be worth a read for you @madusmacus

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Big difference between being 3mmol and 6mmol though, which is what happened last night. Started feeling shaky and hypo but Libre was telling me I was 6.4mmol so assumed I was fine. Shaking got worse so I did a finger prick and it was 2.9 mmol!

I should call Abbott for a new one. That's not funny, and they take masked hypos very seriously.

Yes, I know it's such a pain with the data. But you can still do your own incredibly useful analyses of insulin doses, timing, with the trend data. I found that absolutely the most useful thing. And sooner or later you'll get one of the perfect sensors.

Abbott willreplace it, you know - I was wimpish about calling them, but when I finally did, easy.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd describe that as "one of many symptoms that a variety of people have seen".

When things break, it is inconsistent and not normally easily identifiable as to the cause. I have never seen the "five day drift" that you describe. I have, however, seen all this:

First review: http://crick-tech-munch.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/is-it-really-so-long-my-view-of-abbott.html

Subsequent Posts: http://crick-tech-munch.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=#freestylelibre

Might be worth a read for you @madusmacus
Thank you :¬)

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
**** it! Finally got my new sensors after almost 2 weeks. It started readin just LO wrongly (while real value was 8.8). Afterwards I have had heavy fluctuations and differences upto 8mmol compared with my contour next (FL 10.9 and 6,4 CN 18!. Also a lot of reading errors appear..this sucks!

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Does anybody know if you still have to send the sensor back if you report it? Mine is stuck to compeed so that will probably be blamed. However the sensor was clearly coming from within my skin when I took it off this morning, so it should have been able to read..

Just put second one I ordered on, hopefully that will work

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Does anybody know if you still have to send the sensor back if you report it? Mine is stuck to compeed so that will probably be blamed. However the sensor was clearly coming from within my skin when I took it off this morning, so it should have been able to read..
You do. I always pull the sticky stuff off the bottom of the sensor before sending it back otherwise it gets caught up in the plastic biohazard bag.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should call Abbott for a new one. That's not funny, and they take masked hypos very seriously.

Yes, I know it's such a pain with the data. But you can still do your own incredibly useful analyses of insulin doses, timing, with the trend data. I found that absolutely the most useful thing. And sooner or later you'll get one of the perfect sensors.

Abbott willreplace it, you know - I was wimpish about calling them, but when I finally did, easy.
Thanks, they are replacing it and think that the airport security scanner is the likely culprit as the start of the faulty readings coincided with a flight I took....apparently it "happens all the time" when people go through library scanners etc. too .... not ideal to be honest ....

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, they are replacing it and think that the airport security scanner is the likely culprit as the start of the faulty readings coincided with a flight I took....apparently it "happens all the time" when people go through library scanners etc. too .... not ideal to be honest ....
Security staff were checking your BG levels ;)

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

IS Fluid is about 5-10 minutes behind a blood reading.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is anyone setting off security alarms when entering or leaving shops?
Everytime I go into Debenhams or Habitat, I set off the alarm. Its becoming really embarrasing. Today I walked out of Habitat and the alarm went off and I was stopped by security to go through my bags.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is anyone setting off security alarms when entering or leaving shops?
Everytime I go into Debenhams or Habitat, I set off the alarm. Its becoming really embarrasing. Today I walked out of Habitat and the alarm went off and I was stopped by security to go through my bags.
Hasn't happened to me yet