Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi

Anyone struggled with eating LCHF with the cold?? just feel miserable and want soup and crusty bread terrible I know :(

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi

Anyone struggled with eating LCHF with the cold?? just feel miserable and want soup and crusty bread terrible I know :(
Hi jilly, i find that chicken soup home made if poss' or baxters chicken broth is the next best, try grated cauliflower steamed or flash fryed as an accompaniment,get well soon ((((( hug)))))

Reactions: 2 people

Cheezilla

I sympathise!

Not quite the comfort food you're craving but fresh ginger made into a tea is very pleasant and gives a warm, inner glow.. (Lemon and ginger teabags work too)

LCHF soups are easy and delicious with a generous helping of cream. My favourite is cheese and broccoli.
I do tend to add a pinch of cayenne to most of my cooking though.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't see why you can't have soup on LCHF. Cold gales raging outside, why not make onion or watercress soup to warm you up, eaten with buttered oopsies and cheese and/or Parmesan crisps?

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Can't see why you can't have soup on LCHF. Cold gales raging outside, why not make onion or watercress soup to warm you up, eaten with buttered oopsies and cheese and/or Parmesan crisps?
Thanks I know soup if fine its the crusty bread that I want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha

Reactions: 4 people

Cheezilla

How about a tall mug of cocoa with coconut oil, heavy cream and some real vanilla whizzed into it?
Guess what i'm enjoying right now .......

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Are your bg levels Jilly?

Just remember to follow the Sick Day Rules if your bg levels are high and you continue to be unwell.

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Bloods are great touch wood they have been between 4-5 all day. Ready for them to creep up any minute :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I know soup if fine its the crusty bread that I want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha

Yes, I know, I miss crusty bread too. On the other hand, I feel much better without it. Oopsies don't cut it as a substitute, though I like them. Wraps of lettuce leaves filled with cheese, or marmite or peanut butter help to fill the gap a bit!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bloods are great touch wood they have been between 4-5 all day. Ready for them to creep up any minute :)

Hopefully not, I don't always get high bg levels with a cold, it depends on the severity of the cold.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Very neat way of making crisp slices....use the dairylea slices, grill on baking paper til it bubbles slightly, then put in freezer for 15 mins...it goes really crisp :)) enjoy

Reactions: 6 people

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Very neat way of making crisp slices....use the dairylea slices, grill on baking paper til it bubbles slightly, then put in freezer for 15 mins...it goes really crisp :)) enjoy

They sound amazing !!! definitely going to try them

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another crispy cheese option, grate parmesan into 2-3 small piles on microwave proof plate or silicon baking sheet, add a little flaxseed if you're feeling virtuous, pat down slightly and cook on high (depending on your m/wave power) for 3 to 3 1/2 minutes; they should be slightly browned and lacy looking when done. Yummy with soup.

Robbity

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's always Cadbury's Highlights, a low carb (5g) Hot Chocolate, they also do fudge, caramel, hazelnut and bourneville flavours

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Throw some slices of Edam or Gouda onto a silicon dish and microwave for a minute or so (15 sec bursts till it bubbles all over and develops the slightest hint of brown colour at the edges.

Let cool.

Eat.

Voila! Cheese poppadoms or tacos (if you bend them while still warm

Also works with wee cubes of Brie.

Reactions: 8 people