Friendly fruit

davidob

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi guys having been newly diagnosed t2 I was wondering what fruit is good for diabetes as most fruit I've eaten sent my bs through the roof!
Any suggestions would be great
Thanks

Cowboy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Berries!

Strawberries
Raspberries
Blueberries
Blackberries

Test them though, some can, some cannot

Best of luck

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've through trial and error, that as long as you eat small portions throughout the day, of almost all fruit, then you should be ok. Bananas or exotic fruits are the worst.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mainly eat berries too but can manage a reasonable variety of other mainly European type fruits like gooseberries, plums, greengages, small nectarines, and also kiwi fruit, about 1/3 apple, and possibly a couple of segments of orange. I try to eat all my fruit in small portions (50 -75 grams max) and eat with cream or yoghurt, and where possible as part of a meal rather than as a snack, and (of course!!) let my meter guide me.

Bananas are apparently one of the worst fruits for us as the growers select for high sugar varieties, to the extent that some zoos have actually stopped giving them to monkeys as they've caused them to become diabetic! :wideyed::wideyed: I kid you not!

Robbity

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a small handful of blueberries almost dailys in a little greek yoguart, I do ok with them. Strawberrys tend to ping me up a little so I only have them occasionally.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politicians
Berries!

Strawberries
Raspberries
Blueberries
Blackberries

Test them though, some can, some cannot

Best of luck
I live in a sub-tropical climate and berries, except for strawberries, are very seasonal and expensive. On the other hand, Mango, banana, pineapple, oranges, mandarins, melons are all plentiful and relatively cheap and I have always eaten them. As a new type 2 (as result of steroid treatment) I have to give up these tropical fruits and buy frozen berries. Not happy! And because my diabetes is medically induced, giving up my fruits does not seem to do much good - my tests are all over the place. Never realized that living with diabetes was so difficult - but I'll get buy.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there are all sorts of reasons why some people tolerate fruit and others don't - probably very much influenced by ancestry. Those of us with ancestors from colder, northerly climes probably don't do as well as those with equatorial ancestry.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone! I'm type 1 and I adore fruit! Most I'm ok with apples, bananas, oranges, berries but I read that mango is supposed to help stabilise sugar levels. I had mango for breakfast with low fat natural yoghurt and I'd tested and was 9.1 I tested an hour or so later and they'd shot up to 15.2!!! Safe to say mango is not my fruit :(

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must be one of those odd ones who can tolerate bananas, as long as they are small and not too ripe. Apples, no way. :( I can tolerate a few grapes (maybe 3) with berries. I haven't tried/tested oranges or pears yet.