Am I really diabetic?

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

After being diagnosed about 2 weeks ago... I have been testing regularly. The A1C test that brought forth the diagnosis was 9.5%. However, I had began a diet and exercise regime about one month prior to the blood test and now, after losing 18 lbs, (sorry, this Yankee does not have a stone/pound app), and doing 30 - 60 mins a day of exercise, I believe that my test numbers are quite good. The question that I have for you all here is: How good?

After testing regularly for 10 days my average reading is 5.3.
The tests were either just as I got up in the morning, (fasting), or 2 hours after eating.
My highest reading was 7.0 two hours after a large mexican dinner.
The lowest numbers were below 4.0... after exercising. But my average is not skewed much from those numbers. I quit testing after exercise when I realized that the results were not a good indicator.

Over the past 5 days my number are even better. Averaging right at 4.9 with nothing over 5.4
whether fasting or not.

I should note that 3 months prior to the A1C test I had tested diabetes free... although it was not an A1C but just a regular blood test.

Does the 9.5 result mean that I am diabetic now and forever? Or is it possible that we caught the disease early enough that I can go on about my business? I understand that I can never go back to my old lifestyle of eating and drinking whatever I please. But I would really like to get off of MetFormin and while I am at, also off of Lipitor.

As I mentioned in another thread, my diagnosis coincided nicely with my start on Lipitor but that argument is for another thread... I know it's a hot button topic.

Thanks to all that take the time. I realize that my problem is relatively minor compared to much of what I read about here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
Your hba1c is an average of your blood glucose levels of the past few months.
You have got control because of your diet not your meds.
If you continue to eat and exercise, your hba1c will reflect that. You need to discuss the situation with your doctor.
You have done well, keep it up and your health will improve.

How good? They look good to me!

Reactions: 2 people

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The HbA1c is a mean average of what you Blood/Glucose levels have been in the 3 months prior to the blood test being taken. It gives a mean average over that time and is not the same as readings taken with a home Blood/Glucose test meter which will show your Blood/Glucose level at that moment in time.
By getting your weight down, a good choice of diet, and suitable regular exercise, you can beat diabetes and become the master and not it's slave, you might well find that you can also avoid the need for diabetic medications as well as any of the long term effects to you health that diabetes can result in..
Sadly once someone has crossed the criteria for diagnosing their diabetes in the first instant, they will have diabetes with them throughout their lives. With that said it is possible to lead a perfectly normal life but you will need to always be aware that diabetes will hide itself away waiting it's opportunity to come back with a vengeance should you give it any chance.

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to you both.

Yes, I am aware of the A1C being a 3 month average. I guess I was hoping that I just had a bad 3 months and that I had perhaps nipped it in the bud, so to speak... by taking immediate action.

I'm going to view the entire situation as a positive for me. Because, although I had began a diet prior to the test, I knew something was "wrong" and the A1C simply confirmed it and pushed me to work even harder to gain control of my health.

Lazybones, this sentence was the answer to my question:

"Sadly once someone has crossed the criteria for diagnosing their diabetes in the first instant, they will have diabetes with them throughout their lives."

Of course I'm not thrilled but, again, it sort of takes the matter of choice out of my hands. I HAVE to take care of myself. So that's what I will do. I am still determined to get off of the meds. I guess I'll have to wait and see on that.

Thanks again. Back to lurking :)

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to you both.

Yes, I am aware of the A1C being a 3 month average. I guess I was hoping that I just had a bad 3 months and that I had perhaps nipped it in the bud, so to speak... by taking immediate action.

I'm going to view the entire situation as a positive for me. Because, although I had began a diet prior to the test, I knew something was "wrong" and the A1C simply confirmed it and pushed me to work even harder to gain control of my health.

Lazybones, this sentence was the answer to my question:

"Sadly once someone has crossed the criteria for diagnosing their diabetes in the first instant, they will have diabetes with them throughout their lives."

Of course I'm not thrilled but, again, it sort of takes the matter of choice out of my hands. I HAVE to take care of myself. So that's what I will do. I am still determined to get off of the meds. I guess I'll have to wait and see on that.

Thanks again. Back to lurking :)

I'm in the same position as you hba1c of 60 in January. All my BG testing didn't reflect that. I've since passed an ogtt and had.another hba1c of 42. Whether the first result was duff or the second a reflection of losing.weight I may never know! If you suspect a.bad diagnosis then do more tests with your gp