restarting low carb... can anyone give me tasty ideas?!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
as above, having been here before i'm not looking forward to it either I should add!!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Join Pinterest and search typeonegrit. You will find tons of information and recipes all organised based on the time of day so breakfast, lunch etc. Google is your friend also, just google low carb..... and whatever you fancy, so muffin or scone or pancake etc etc and you will find tons of recipes.

Ali

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as above, having been here before i'm not looking forward to it either I should add!!

What were your favourite aspects before, then focus on them, to begin with? Which part of it you are dreading most?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Read my Slim and Save thread and don't do any of the stupid things I did in that thread.

Stick to low carb sausages and coleslaw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always say "load up on healthy fats". But I am finding that is not so easy for a T1. Fat seems to push up the carb ratios and maybe the basal rate. I may have to look into TAG.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's interesting @Spiker. I've found with a higher protein intake that fat has been a limited issue. My carb ratios are reasonably consistent both low carb and normal carb.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What were your favorite aspects before, then focus on them, to begin with? Which part of it you are dreading most?

Fav aspects were low bloods with not too many hypos (straight lines <3)

Dreading having to be organized and all the prep required. not to mention the cost!

Sorry all ive been absent because i fell off the wagon. hoping to hop back on after Easter :)

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try not to dread it coz I imagine that will make you struggle more, feel positive about it :D

the prep is a nightmare so try n have things in that you can grab if you've forgot/not had time to prep. Good luck

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive bought all the ingredients for 'nutty balls' and egg muffins. also 3x coop chipolatas (1 pack eaten :)) also cheese strings and cashews. anyone know where to get macadamias cheap?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a branch of Grape Tree anywhere near you ? If not they are online at www.grapetree.co.uk Their nuts are a reasonable price, and they often have half price offers. Currently they have chia seeds at half price, and ground almonds were the cheapest I found for 500g

Signy

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I hated the ooopsies, too eggy, rather have an omelette! Swedish low carb buns are ok as a bread substitute also cheese scones.

Ali

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive bought all the ingredients for 'nutty balls' and egg muffins. also 3x coop chipolatas (1 pack eaten :)) also cheese strings and cashews. anyone know where to get macadamias cheap?
I get macadamias in Tesco think its about £2 for 100g that's the cheapest I've found x

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you have a branch of Grape Tree anywhere near you ? If not they are online at www.grapetree.co.uk Their nuts are a reasonable price, and they often have half price offers. Currently they have chia seeds at half price, and ground almonds were the cheapest I found for 500g

Signy

Just found there is one in Banbury, I'll check it out thanks Signy :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fav aspects were low bloods with not too many hypos (straight lines <3)

Dreading having to be organized and all the prep required. not to mention the cost!

Sorry all ive been absent because i fell off the wagon. hoping to hop back on after Easter :)

I mentioned, on another thread, a strategy I developed when working obscene hours, plus commutes.

I composed a "staples" list, plus additional "quite often" items in the favourite section, for online shopping, with a couple of supermarkets. I chose a couple of suppliers to make short notice delivery slots easier to find. That way, I could be sure that, for the cost of the delivery, I always had appropriate food at home. Converting that to low carb would be simple enough.

These days most supermarkets will deliver well into the evenings, if that helps. Worth considering if the prep is the pain?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I mentioned, on another thread, a strategy I developed when working obscene hours, plus commutes.

I composed a "staples" list, plus additional "quite often" items in the favourite section, for online shopping, with a couple of supermarkets. I chose a couple of suppliers to make short notice delivery slots easier to find. That way, I could be sure that, for the cost of the delivery, I always had appropriate food at home. Converting that to low carb would be simple enough.

These days most supermarkets will deliver well into the evenings, if that helps. Worth considering if the prep is the pain?

Thanks Andbreathe, I'm already hot on Ocado as they are so good at delivering, I found Riverford veg do a 'less roots' box as well which is really handy. Even got celeriac in there :)

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Riverford rock, we used to have their boxes but now I care for my folks they complained about the weird and wonderful so I stopped them. One day though...... om nom noms. More taste than supermarket stuff for sure.

Ali