Help,Please.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I have to make a choice of pump on Friday,I have the choice of the Roche insight or the Meditronic 640g.This is my first pump after over 52 years of injections.Any advice would be very helpful,many thanks

Reactions: 2 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you been able to have a look at them?

I'm about to upgrade from the Medtronic Veo to the 640 and am happy to do so.

I daresay Roche users will feel equally as good about their own pump.

Hopefully you'll be able to handle the pumps before making your choice.

One thing I like about Medtronic is the very useful clip they provide. I don't know if the Insight has one.

Reactions: 4 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thank you dancer,yes I handled them,I am still undecided as I can see pro and cons for both pumps.So I will keep investigating both pumps.Thanks for your input.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Both pumps are pretty new to the market. There are some people using the Insight on this forum but I think the Medtronic users are still waiting to start the 640g.There are some blogs out there from people trialling the 640g so worth having a look. I'm supposed to be changing from my Veo to the 640g some time in the next few weeks.

I've been very happy with my Medtronic and am looking forward to starting the 640g, the Medtronic Reps are great as are the Customer Service but as dancer says Roche Insight users will feel equally pleased with their pumps. One of the main differences is the use of a remote with the Insight and how important that is to you.

I'm sure you will be happy with whichever make you go for, they both look like great bits of kit. Good luck getting started with your pump yingtong.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Do you think you are likely to use a cgm? If so go for the Medtronic. How's your eyesight? Check the screens to see which you prefer. Have you hypo awareness? If not there might be a chance of sensors at some point so then again go for the Medtronic. Think ahead not just right this minute for your choice. Happy pumping :)

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with @CarbsRok you need to think 3-5 years ahead. I'd go for the Medtronic personally. I'm assuming this system is similar to / compatible with the Medtronic 640 artificial pancreas that's now available privately? If that comes onto the NHS you could be first in line if you already have a Medtronic 640 pump.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thank you CarbsRok.Yes I intend to use a CGM,my eyesight is good,No I have no hypo awareness.They are offering a free CGM with 5 sensors with 640g,I obviously need to find out more,which I will do on Friday.My DSN thinks the meditronic will suit me more and I trust her almost totally,as she has always been right.I just need to get it right in my head.

Reactions: 3 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thank you Spiker i am leaning towards the Medtronic and I will make the decision before Friday morning.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Medtronic 640g pump plus Enlite CGM sensors are together being described in the media as an artifical pancreas although Medtronic are correctly describing it as one step closer to the artificial pancreas.The pump and CGM have improved algorithms and technology to predict and prevent hypos beyond the present Veo and CGM system.

@yingtong I've used the Enlite sensors with my pump for 4 years as I haven't got any hypo awareness and they have saved me from many hypos. The additional SmartGuard technology on the 640g is further extending the hypo protection and looks a fantastic development.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thank you Flowerpot,that is very useful information especially with Hypo protection,looks like my DSN has got it right yet again.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They are offering a free CGM with 5 sensors with 640g,I obviously need to find out more,which I will do on Friday.

I'd be really interested in this offer. I've not heard anything about it. Did your DSN tell you about the offer?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thank you CarbsRok.Yes I intend to use a CGM,my eyesight is good,No I have no hypo awareness.They are offering a free CGM with 5 sensors with 640g,I obviously need to find out more,which I will do on Friday.My DSN thinks the meditronic will suit me more and I trust her almost totally,as she has always been right.I just need to get it right in my head.

It sounds to me as if your nurse is a keeper and right on the nail.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Yes,dancer my DSN told me about the offer.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
CarbsRok,yes,she is a keeper I've been her patient for about 18 years.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have you got a starting date finalised yet yingtong?

You'll take to pumping like a duck to water as your pro-active in your diabetes management, good luck and hope it all goes well.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thanks noblehead,19 May is "P" day.Yes anther adventure in the life of Diabetic,but I am certainly up for challenges and it will work.

Reactions: 7 people

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd be really interested in this offer. I've not heard anything about it. Did your DSN tell you about the offer?

I was speaking to my Medtronic rep earlier today as I will have a similar choice to make (albeit between the 640g, Vibe, Insight or Dana R). The deal with the 5 sensors is that Medtronic is packaging the 640g pump and the starter pack together. The starter pack includes the transmitter, 5 Enlite sensors, sensor inserter and I think some link software. The idea is that Medtronic allows the user to try out the CGM with the pump and then decide if they wish to pursue it (if self-funding). It's good news as it's a £687 saving and as the transmitter has a 1 year warranty, the only other costs for Year 1 would be the sensors.

With that said, the sensors are not cheap - £525 for 10 or £275 for 5. Shelf life period of 6 months.

The Smartguard tech sounds a wonderful thing on paper, but it does come at cost.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Jemzor ,thanks for your comments,yes I am aware of the cost of the CGM sensors,but as this is my first pump I think the five sensors will enable me to get my pump setting very much sorted end and enable me to review wether or not I self fund the CGM.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jemzor, that's an even better deal than I was hoping for. Thanks for the info!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not wishing to complicate, but please look at the ownership costs of a CGM before you take the plunge.
Also the benefits each give you as they are not the same and some may suit your lifestyle whilst others may not.

I chose the Dexcom, as in the long run (over a year) even without free intro sensors, it was cheaper and it gave me constant readings without the need to "swipe" it. Its the only one I'm aware of where you can extend the life of the sensor from 7 days to 28 days or more, reducing the sensor cost by 75% if used continuously or before the shelf life expires.