HbA1c Scare/New Perspective

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been away from the forums for 2 weeks and to be honest I needed to get away as ever since I found the forums I've been on it every single day since being diagnosed with Type 2 in October 2012. The break was needed, but now its time I join back in as I had my HbA1c results back yesterday from the nurse and it was alarming as it went up from 78.1 (9.3%) in September 2014 to 124 (13.5%) due to my own lack of management.

When the nurse asked if she could check my ketones, I suddenly realized what I was actually doing to my health and all that I could think of was another trip to the hospital, but it did not happen as when I got tested for ketones there were none. It hit me pretty hard and afterwards I cleared all the high carb foods that I had in and donated all of it to a foodbank, as I no longer want them and I'm due to spend the easter holidays with my parents tomorrow.

I feel like a changed person and would like to thank the support of the members on here as I now feel that I can manage my lifestyle.

Reactions: 14 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back. I don't usually do anything untiI I absolutely have to so I see where you're coming from -- however you can now hit the road to recovery again. I wondered where you'd got to!

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been away from the forums for 2 weeks and to be honest I needed to get away as ever since I found the forums I've been on it every single day since being diagnosed with Type 2 in October 2012. The break was needed, but now its time I join back in as I had my HbA1c results back yesterday from the nurse and it was alarming as it went up from 78.1 (9.3%) in September 2014 to 124 (13.5%) due to my own lack of management.

When the nurse asked if she could check my ketones, I suddenly realized what I was actually doing to my health and all that I could think of was another trip to the hospital, but it did not happen as when I got tested for ketones there were none. It hit me pretty hard and afterwards I cleared all the high carb foods that I had in and donated all of it to a foodbank, as I no longer want them and I'm due to spend the easter holidays with my parents tomorrow.

I feel like a changed person and would like to thank the support of the members on here as I now feel that I can manage my lifestyle.

Good man. My b}#%%^|€*!g a couple of weeks ago might not have worked, but glad the hard evidence of your bloods has.

I'm sorry you're having such a struggle with this, but it really is time to buckle down. You know you will be supported here.

(I had been wondering where you were......)

Reactions: 6 people

Dave E

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as a long term lurker on here I felt compelled to register and reply to this having had the shock of my life recently.

Having been diagnosed with type 2 4 years ago I completely readjusted my lifestyle and became very well controlled very quickly with hba1c in the low 5's,reduced cholesterol and two stone weight loss.

I've had a very tough 2 years including the loss of my mum and my father in law within 6 months amongst other things and as a result my health came second fiddle - bad food etc resulting in my symptoms that took me to the doctors returning again.

Result in the last two weeks - Hba1c in the 8's and following my eye screening small signs of retinopathy.

This has been a massive wake up call for me and I am well and truly never going back to unhealthiness again and on the way back up again.

I already feel better and positive and I'm not looking back but forward so if I can do it anyone can.

Reactions: 17 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It hit me pretty hard and afterwards I cleared all the high carb foods that I had in and donated all of it to a foodbank, as I no longer want them

Good ...... that is your first step forward

Reactions: 4 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome back... if we can do it.. you can do it too.
Start by looking at what you can eat - and dont focus on what you cant eat. After a couple of weeks you wont want or crave all those bad carb foods.

Reactions: 5 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good man. My b}#%%^|€*!g a couple of weeks ago might not have worked, but glad the hard evidence of your bloods has.

I'm sorry you're having such a struggle with this, but it really is time to buckle down. You know you will be supported here.

(I had been wondering where you were......)

@AndBreathe It did work actually as it made me take the break of the forum and afterwards went through a seriously bad burnout and developed a slight whisky problem, but all is good now. Was finally able to get some sleep the other night and now regularly testing my blood sugars every 3 hours. Just nervous for next week as I will be going to my dentist for the first time in 3 years and I really hate going to the dentist :banghead::banghead:

Welcome back... if we can do it.. you can do it too.
Start by looking at what you can eat - and dont focus on what you cant eat. After a couple of weeks you wont want or crave all those bad carb foods.

I will be doing that soon, just need to get my blood sugars between 4 and 7 before I start experimenting again with what I can and can't eat. My new favourite snacks are sliced red onions (uncooked) with sliced or grated cheese. Also one of my friends gave me a egg 'n' cheese cupcake, which were really nice and filling and going to make some next week.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome back!

Just a rhetorical question? How do you get a 'slight whiskey problem'?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe It did work actually as it made me take the break of the forum and afterwards went through a seriously bad burnout and developed a slight whisky problem, but all is good now. Was finally able to get some sleep the other night and now regularly testing my blood sugars every 3 hours. Just nervous for next week as I will be going to my dentist for the first time in 3 years and I really hate going to the dentist :banghead::banghead:

I will be doing that soon, just need to get my blood sugars between 4 and 7 before I start experimenting again with what I can and can't eat. My new favourite snacks are sliced red onions (uncooked) with sliced or grated cheese. Also one of my friends gave me a egg 'n' cheese cupcake, which were really nice and filling and going to make some next week.

I really am pleased you're back. Did you get your assignments in on time?

I know at this stage in your Uni course, you will have lots to do, but, I'd urge you to try to find some time, over the holiday, to have a look at new low carb stuff in the "what have you eaten.." And the recipes areas here? Many, many of the recipes are microwave friendly, and if you could find a way to batch make, say, crustless quiches or the micro mug cake, they seem to make really, really good "go to" light bites for breakfasts and treats, respectively. And where the cake is concerned, as you make one at a time, if it doesn't go quite right, your not stuck with 10,000 lumps of concrete or otherwise inedible stuff. I must confess I,have never made either of these creations, as my OH is the cook in this household and I am, by my own confessions, thoroughly spoilt by him.

When I spend time on my own, I find cooking quite fun these days. If your Mum is getting onside (didn't you mention she had read Trudi Deakin's book?), she may be interested to experiment alongside you; or you alongside her. By the way, the book seems to have some pretty simple recipes in there for all sorts, including scones, which are reputedly delicious.

Welcome back.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome back!

Just a rhetorical question? How do you get a 'slight whiskey problem'?

I drank 3/4 of a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red Label in a night mixed with diet coke on a Saturday night enjoying prinking, before I made a total fool of myself.

I really am pleased you're back. Did you get your assignments in on time?

I know at this stage in your Uni course, you will have lots to do, but, I'd urge you to try to find some time, over the holiday, to have a look at new low carb stuff in the "what have you eaten.." And the recipes areas here? Many, many of the recipes are microwave friendly, and if you could find a way to batch make, say, crustless quiches or the micro mug cake, they seem to make really, really good "go to" light bites for breakfasts and treats, respectively. And where the cake is concerned, as you make one at a time, if it doesn't go quite right, your not stuck with 10,000 lumps of concrete or otherwise inedible stuff. I must confess I,have never made either of these creations, as my OH is the cook in this household and I am, by my own confessions, thoroughly spoilt by him.

When I spend time on my own, I find cooking quite fun these days. If your Mum is getting onside (didn't you mention she had read Trudi Deakin's book?), she may be interested to experiment alongside you; or you alongside her. By the way, the book seems to have some pretty simple recipes in there for all sorts, including scones, which are reputedly delicious.

Welcome back.

I'm still doing my assisgnments, handed one in on the 10th, passed it :woot::):happy: got one due in next tuesday, but atm i'm collecting participants for my research project and have nearly reached my total.:):happy: I have 3 more to hand in at the beginning of May and begun writing them.

I've got a plan for the holidays: 1) go to the nuffield health gym once a day from tomorrow till I go back uni (mum wants me go twice a day). 2) complete parts of my assignments. 3) do the mystery job that my parents have got for me :nailbiting::nailbiting::eek::eek: 4) go dentist on April 1st and 5) see my relatives:):)

Yes my mum has got the Trudi Deakin book and will be reading it bit by bit and my mum has just told me that she has been meat shopping at the best butchers supermarket in town (name of shop and link removed) D.

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Well done on donating the unwanted food to foodbank they will make really good use of it. Hope your OK

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Got my first appointment today with the dentist in 3 years. Don't know what to expect. Feeling nervous and a bit scared as my dental health has not been great.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got my first appointment today with the dentist in 3 years. Don't know what to expect. Feeling nervous and a bit scared as my dental health has not been great.
Hi Akindrat, I know that feeling of being scared to go to the dentist, but what would be worse would be loosing all your teeth at such a young age. Badly controlled diabetes can cause tooth loss, so remember that nomatter what happens today, you are now on the road to recovery, and hopefully everything can be put right. I'll keep everything crossed for you.

Welshgooner

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tottenham and High BS scores
Hi Akindrat, I know that feeling of being scared to go to the dentist, but what would be worse would be loosing all your teeth at such a young age. Badly controlled diabetes can cause tooth loss, so remember that nomatter what happens today, you are now on the road to recovery, and hopefully everything can be put right. I'll keep everything crossed for you.

Recently had all my teeth out! Went for the injection in back of hand :) had to lose them over 3 sessions because am on Warfarin. injections are magic...even if I have lost 3 days of my life as well as my teeth

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Recently had all my teeth out! Went for the injection in back of hand :) had to lose them over 3 sessions because am on Warfarin. injections are magic...even if I have lost 3 days of my life as well as my teeth

The dentist was not that bad, got to have 2 fillings and a scale/polish. I was expecting the worse, with multiple fillings, having teeth out and wearing dentures.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The dentist was not that bad, got to have 2 fillings and a scale/polish. I was expecting the worse, with multiple fillings, having teeth out and wearing dentures.

You don't like to look on the bright side, do you? ;)

How are your blood numbers doing now you're home, and have a bit more time on your hands?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't like to look on the bright side, do you? ;)

How are your blood numbers doing now you're home, and have a bit more time on your hands?

I like to think of the worst things that could potentially happen and then when I get some good news, I feel great afterwards as not hearing the bad news gives me a boost. My blood sugars are slightly higher than normal. Even with doing a gym session for an hour and relaxing in the hot tubs, sauna and steam room my blood sugars are ranging between 8 and 15, but this maybe because of having my needles for the lyxumia injections accidently being misplaced by my dad when he was unpacking my things. I'm in the process of educating my mum on the benefits of LCHF, but tonight she told me that she is proud of me for going from 25 stone to under 22 stone since November and is only slightly concerned about my blood sugar levels. Also she said that I can cook my own tea and not eat what she cooks, which has given me some relief as she still cooks with carbs. I missed out on the potatoes and had the cauli, cabbage, pork steak and the one mini Yorkshire pud.

I've also been experimenting with my nutribullet with different recipes and have yet to find one that will not raise my blood sugars. I've thought of going simple with; strawberries, greek yoghurt, a dash of cinnamon, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and2 teaspoons of Bioglan Superfoods Supergreens 81 Vital Ingredients Powder (which will cost £20)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good man. Your head seems to be staying in the right place, and you're acting on it. Not having your needles to hand certainly won't be helping with the injections though.

I can't comment on thenutribullet, as I'm not a great smoothly fan. Nothing against them, they just don't float my boat. But, I'll tag the smoothie queen, @Brunneria andsee if she has any suggestions for the smoothies she makes that don't seem to spike her.

Stick with it. It really will be worth it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! Got your tag. :)

I should just follow the link in my signature. It takes you to a green smoothie site for type 2 diabetics. Chock full of recipes.

But then, of course, you need to test for how a each smoothie works for you.
And if it sends your BG up by more than 2 mmol/l you need to tweak the recipe by lowering the sweet fruit content, and/or raising the veg content.

I find courgettes are my favourite veg filler in a green smoothie. Cheap ish, virtually tasteless when raw, bulky and very nutritious. What's not to like?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just came back to sunny England after a week's holiday and it was ok apart from losing a suitcase with my meds and meter in at the airport. The suitcase has still yet to turn up, but I've been worrying about my bs levels since Monday after drinking a lot of booze. The one thing that I do know is that I don't have any ketones present in my pee after just testing now with some ketones strips that I stored away at home. My old bs monitor that I kept at home is telling me that my bs levels are high. Tomorrow is going to absolutely be **** and I will be out all day. Time to get some babybels and meat snacks.