Diabetes and Driving

JanetDavis69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Illness, dishonesty, lies, deceit, medications,computers that do not work properly, and trades people being late or waiting in for someone who does not arrive.
Hi,

I have been reading all the threads regarding diabetes and driving. I have type 2 and have recently been diagnosed. Can someone please tell me what everyone means by 'hypo'? I must confess I am struggling with it all myself as I have other conditions which make me feel like death warmed up without diabetes on top of it.

Janet

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I suppose this means another hike on my Motor Insurance...
Not always - mine was lowered by almost £9.
We did ring around few and compared them .
Worth a try possibly ?

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
Thanks Anna,

I haven't had any problems this morning. They just put the information on my schedule, and told me I was still fiully insured to drive. They did charge me £25,00 for the privilege mind! :confused:. Thanks again.
Phub.

Hi Janet.

As Hyper means excessive or more, then I think Hypo is reference to blood sugar being lower.

I know Hypertension is high blood pressure, so I think I got it right.

Cheers
Phub (John) :)

Reactions: 4 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi,

I have been reading all the threads regarding diabetes and driving. I have type 2 and have recently been diagnosed. Can someone please tell me what everyone means by 'hypo'? I must confess I am struggling with it all myself as I have other conditions which make me feel like death warmed up without diabetes on top of it.

Janet

Yep, Hyper is when your blood sugar is too high, and Hypo is when your blood sugar is too low.
With a Hypo you can pass out (brain needs a minimum glucose level to function correctly) which is not a good idea if you are doing 70mph in the outside lane of a motorway in rush hour.

Plenty of good basic information about diabetes on the main web site linked to this forum.

Reactions: 2 people

JanetDavis69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Illness, dishonesty, lies, deceit, medications,computers that do not work properly, and trades people being late or waiting in for someone who does not arrive.
Yep, Hyper is when your blood sugar is too high, and Hypo is when your blood sugar is too low.
With a Hypo you can pass out (brain needs a minimum glucose level to function correctly) which is not a good idea if you are doing 70mph in the outside lane of a motorway in rush hour.

Plenty of good basic information about diabetes on the main web site linked to this forum.
Many thanks for getting back to me. I did the read about it ages ago but I keep forgetting lots of stuff cos I am taking 140mg of Morphine a day which makes my memory bad and very tired.

JanetDavis69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Anna,

I haven't had any problems this morning. They just put the information on my schedule, and told me I was still fiully insured to drive. They did charge me £25,00 for the privilege mind! :confused:. Thanks again.
Phub.

Hi Janet.

As Hyper means excessive or more, then I think Hypo is reference to blood sugar being lower.

I know Hypertension is high blood pressure, so I think I got it right.

Cheers
Phub (John) :)
Cheers mate. I keep forgetting some important bits due to being on 140mg of Morphine daily. Can I ask another question from you? I have been feeling pretty awful, I mean really bad to the point it is hard to get out of bed cos the room is spinning and I am so weak I can barely stand. Would you say that was my diabetes? I have never felt so ill in all my life since I was diagnosed with diabetes. The frustrating thing is, my doctor called me up one day and told me I had diabetes and that is it......nothing else. I was just left to find out what it is etc. Oh yer in regards to my previous question, I am totally off my food. Am I suffering hypo?

JanetDavis69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Hi, little grey cat, I read you are having to lose some weight before you go onto Metformin, this drug puts weight on as does 3 of my meds which is very frustrating when I only weighed 9st before taking them. There are lots of natural remedies that I have been looking at so I don't get told that I have to take that drug for example, clarified grapefruit juice with no lumps is good for losing weight as well as having evidence to lowering blood sugar levels in type 1 and 2 diabetic persons. I have misplaced my list of natural herbs, spices etc which gives help for lots of other things at the same time,many having an antioxidant effect helping to remove all the nasties out of our bodies making us healthier and have more energy etc. I will post more later with a lot more detail for anyone who does not want to take the Dr's medicines, however, I must say get advice first from the doctor before stopping any meds to take any natural remedies or talk to a pharmacist as they will know about the active ingredients in the healthier option as opposed to the dr's prescription.

cello

Here we go again..... persecution by
police scotland... Responsible diabetics check and re check.
That's also the reason I attend my 6 monthly check s and annual eye tests..

JanetDavis69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What do mean, persecution by police and that responsible diabetics check and re-check. Basically I have no idea what you are saying.

Why have you put this?

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't get the page to load, but it was only recently that the DVLA were considering extending licences for type 1 from 3 years to a max of 10 (in some circumstances).

I think you mean to say ' extending licenses for insulin users from 3 years to a max of 10 (in some circumstances).
I am T2 using insulin and only issued with a three year license.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think you mean to say ' extending licenses for insulin users from 3 years to a max of 10 (in some circumstances).
I am T2 using insulin and only issued with a three year license.

We are saying much the same thing Stu, albeit a small spelling mistake :)

Reactions: 2 people

JanetDavis69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have never used one of these sites before and my problem is I have no idea when people make comments if they are commenting about something I have put (unless it is blatantly obvious) is for me or others they maybe talking to. Especially when I was talking about myself and hoping to get some more natural remedies due to the fact that I am on so many tablets for the other conditions I have. My problem is not eating, the lack of it as I go from one day to next without eating as I have no appetite being is so much pain, not a case of....stop eating so much. That is a very childish attitude especially when 3 of my tablets (nothing to do with diabetes as I don't take any for diabetes) put a lot of weight on which is unfair.

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please read, share and sign this petition to raise awareness to the EU of how their directive is being implemented by UK government. Without your support diabetics will continue to lose their licences without individual assessment. Please sign the petition today. http://tinyurl.com/A4DD-petition

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
I might be over-reacting, but this country is becoming a Police State.

The Police are being encouraged to generalise, stereotype and to be aggressive, and ill-mannered. Sadly, too many officers see the public as an enemy. They are sitting in offices, drinking tea, and making out they are bogged down with paperwork. Their sworn duties are being forgotten.

I.E. they are as follows, and in strict order of priority.

The protection of life and property.
The maintenance of the Queen's Peace
The PREVENTION of crime, and disorder.
The prosecution of Offenders Against The Peace.

Please note, prosecution is LAST on the list, which, I repeat, represents a solemn oath.

I might have forgotten some of it, having been retired for 25 years. However it seems that today, officers are not even taught their priorities. much less how to practice them. Do they still swear to follow the above list of duties? If they do take this oath, are they merely reciting it like some kind of imbecilic parrot?

Of course, many senior officers, are completely engrossed with keeping an eye on the 'main chance'. Promotion is ALL. So the plebs must keep locking people away, so the patricians may bask in reflected 'glory'; yet being strangely absent when it is criticism that is being reflected.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely ensuring drivers are safe to drive is part of "The protection of life and property"? Most Police officers I know / have known as friends, in several forces, definitely live by their oath, both at work and in their private lives.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I recall my father telling me about a "Newby Bobby" getting "hell" from his sergeant for going out in the the rain "sans waterproofs" because the noise of his raincoat meant he couldn't sneak up on p[eople!