Newly Diagnosed Type2 - bit scary and still learning...

mcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Having lurked here for a few weeks after being recommended by a supportive Type1 friend, I thought I would pop my head around the door and say 'hello'.

I'm 32. Having had high BP since it was discovered in my early 20s, a couple of years ago my Practice Nurse decided that it would be time to start medicating. I then had a number of blood tests to check for side effects from the BP medication, and by chance in Oct 2014, my glucose was found to be high (hovering around 16). My HbA1c was 103 before Christmas and 101 after and that it should ideally be under about 48.

This was all quite a shock and quite scary. At 18st on a 5'10" frame, I was clearly too heavy; and as a long commuting office-worker spending 60hrs/week sat down I knew that my activity levels were low. However there is very little history of this in my family, and I was symptom free - the nurse seemed surprised at this given the HbA1c, and my Type1 friend said 'if I had a glucose reading of 16 I'd be feeling lousy - and perhaps you are, you've just been like it so long you don't realise'. Outside of work I was also reasonably active maintaining a large veg garden and doing DIY. I also felt that my diet was quite good whilst not angelic.
The Practice Nurse recommended Metformin, and I've started this last week, although I hesitated initially.
Retinopathy was all clear, and no obvious foot nerve damage.

So, where from here?
Activity - The nurse advised me to be more active. I'm reading things about how inactivity is worse than obesity and/or smoking and so I can make changes here. I've been going out for lunchtime walks every day and some in the evenings too - and will keep up on the veg plot. This is easy to grasp - it makes sense, and I know what I have to do. Perfect.

Weight - Around the time of diagnosis, my weight started dropping from 18st and in 3-4mths plateaued at 15st 13. I'd like to think that this was down to the increased activity and the better diet, but I suspect that the Type2 played a stronger role. I've got it moving again (15st 8 now) and hope to continue. I feel lighter, fitter, and have more energy - health aside, it is well worth pursuing!

Diet - Here I'm far more confused - and posts on here suggest I'm not alone with the conflicting advice.
The DSN examined my diet and agreed that it was 'healthy', but was very high in carbs - lots of white pasta, bread, rice, potatoes (from the plot!), and portion control was an issue. I was also consuming a lot of fruit.
- The DSN said that my high carb intake was likely why my glucose was spiking, and I wonder if this is what has caused the Type-2. She advised the 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs, 1/4 veg plate. I have therefore cut carbs mainly by cutting portion sizes; replacing pasta, bread and rice with brown versions and consuming less; swapping some pasta for beans/peas/lentils as advised by the DSN.
- The nurse advised me to reduce sugar in my diet which I duly did - although there wasn't much to be removed (I'm more of a savory eater). Easily understood, even if the sources of sugar are surprising (the sugar added to a 'healthy' jar of bolognese sauce is stunning). The DSN said to reduce the fruit slightly and to spread it out throughout the day to avoid spiking glucose levels.
- The nurse also highlighted that my cholesterol was 4.8 (which whilst not terrible is over the 4 recommended for diabetics) with my LDL (bad) and Triglycerides (bad) being high, and my HDL (good) being next to nil. I looked up sources of unsaturated fat - olive oil, oily fish, almonds etc. and increased those, and looked up saturated fats and reduced those - animal fats, cream, cheese, butters, etc.
- I then read about the Glycemic Index and find that many of the substitutes recommended by the DSN which I am increasing have medium to high values (so I should be not using them either?). I then read that some people say the GI isn't important - as whilst higher figures indicate a spike it is more about what quantity you are eating - eating loads of something with a low GI can still increase glucose levels. (I'm lost).
- I then read about LCHF - recommended often on here. However, surely things like bacon are high in saturated fat - the thing I've been told to reduce! I know the idea is to increase good fats to replace carbs, but many of the recipes involve butter, cream, bacon etc. and this concerns me - a low glucose level isn't going to be much good to be if my cholesterol is soaring!

Statins - the nurse is recommending Statins, although we've agreed to wait 3mths to see if dietary changes are having an effect. To be blunt, at 32, I don't want to be on 3 different medications.

Living with Diabetes Course - I'm booked on that in about a fortnight, so will be interested to see what they say.

I did also stumble across the life expectancy figures for a Type2 and found these deeply unsettling. I am rationalising that the 10yr loss is calculated based on those who ignore the condition etc. and that if I make the right choices that I can perhaps be at the 1-2yr end of that spectrum. I'm motivated to do something about this - the challenge is often just knowing what!

Sorry for the length of this introduction. All advice welcome, and thanks for listening.

MCG.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi mcg,
Welcome to the forum, its a perfect place to learn a lot about Diabetes, and you will learn a lot, look through the forums they are a mine of information.
@daisy1 will be sending you some info that she sends to most newly diagnosed members.
Being diagnosed can be a shock, as there is a lot of misinformation about diabetes, and you will find out what is best for you in time.
The main thing I think I can impart to a new member is to remember that Carbohydrates turn directly to sugar when eaten.
A lot of type 2 diabetics, including myself find that by controlling your Carb intake, has a very good result in lowering blood glucose, and in weight loss. Exercise is vital as well, and even walking a little every day helps.
Above all look at diabetes as a chance to start looking after yourself better, it will pay huge results
Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions many people will help.

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@mcg

Hello mcg and welcome to the forum :)

This is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. The diet advice is particularly important for you. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI and welcome. Quite a few points there. Whilst low GI carbs such as lentils and wholemeal items are better than high GI they are still carbs so may not spike as much but still convert to glucose at each meal. Many of us keep the carbs down and make up with proteins and fats. Fats are not the problem we have all been told and are not directly related to the cholesterol in the blood. There is little scientifc reason for diabetics to have statins at a level of 4 and it's up to you to choose. Many find that a low-carb diet improves the cholesterol and in particular the LDL/HDL ratio; the total is less important. Keep to the low-carb diet and portion control and both weight and blood sugar should reduce.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @mcg welcome from me too.
I love the Penfold avatar.

Sounds like you have made a good start. Don't be too alarmed by the life expectancy prediction. Many members have gained really good control, and plan to die of something other than diabetes.

By making small changes to diet and lifestyle you can make big improvements in blood glucose.

As you grow your own veg, I would suggest a slight change. The root veg are starchy, so out with the spuds. Cauliflower is a good alternative. Courgettes are easy to grow, and make a good substitute for pasta.

Many of us find that the NHS advice to change to wholemeal and brown rather than white rice, pasta, etc does not help. So be cautious with these, no matter if you are advised to eat them when you attend the diabetes education course.

Read round, ask questions, and share your experiences with others here. You have made a good choice in posting, as there is generally someone else experiencing what you are to bounce ideas off.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome mcg,

You have already received some very good advice from the others. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is testing with your own glucose meter. It is highly unlikely you will be given one on prescription, and far more likely you will be told testing is unnecessary. Quite frankly, this is rubbish advice. If you have your own meter you can test out your food and learn just which foods do what to your levels. It will tell you which foods you need to avoid at all costs, and which ones you can cope with in smaller quantities. Most of us type 2's use the Codefree meter and strips because the test strips are very much cheaper than others, and initially you will need a lot of them. http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

You might also find this thread useful http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/