panic attacks

RobBrown

Is it just me having strange attacks heart feels fast hard to take a breath? Been to hospital and every thing seems fine blood readings are ok as well :( please give advice

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased the hospital said all seems fine.

I'll 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope that someone shares their experiences of panic attacks with you.

G

gemma6549

I went through this for a while after my brother died from cancer. I didn't realise at the time I was having bad anxiety, I had back pain and had convinced myself I had kidney failure!!

The heart rhythms and palpitations are part of it too. I don't think it's related to diabetes but there could be a study that mentions a connection.

Do you know what's causing it?

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it just me having strange attacks heart feels fast hard to take a breath? Been to hospital and every thing seems fine blood readings are ok as well :( please give advice
Have thyroid profile blood tests as soon as possible, if you have not done so recently, what you describe can be symptoms of hyperthyroid disease. pounding heart and slight breathlessness is a common symptom. May as well exclude this, anyway - will need autoantibody tests and a thyroid profile, Autoimmune thyroid diseases - both hyper and hypo - are one of the diseases most often linked with Type one. Ann

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
... I'm just looking into the link between depression/anxiety/diabetes - apparently their closely linked and I wanted to understand why. The things I've been reading have been a bit technical, but very interesting... Basically the long and the short of it is that we need serotonin to feel happy/less anxious, and serotonin comes from tryptophan- which comes from the foods we eat. But in order for it to be converted into serotonin the tryptophan needs to cross the blood brain barrier - and to do that it needs... Insulin!!! This was something of a revelation to me; and I'm still reading about it... Seems a way to bypass the tryptophan needing insuli to cross the barrier and convert to serotonin is to take 5htp... Sorry if this is a bit waffly, but literally only just reading/learning about it today :)
Maybe Google 5htp... :)

Reactions: 2 people

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like Anxiety/Pannic attacks, Anxiety can affect you in so many ways mine was caused by the shock of being diagnosed with Diabetes and it got so bad at one point i thought i was going to die or something, here's a list of symptoms http://www.anxiety-central.com/index.php/topic/75-list-of-over-100-anxiety-symptoms/ there are so many and also if it's getting too much try get booked in with your Gp if you've not already they can help
clear.png

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Is there a pattern to these episodes?

A number of years ago, I found myself experiencing what Is called "stage fright". Which coincided with the start of a new job. (A normal anxiety feeling before a major gig or performance soon overcome with adrenalin when walking on stage. I've done shed loads of gigs, no real issue.) But not driving to work for a normal day job.. I'm a confident guy who feels I can blag anything but driving to this particular job every morning was overwhelming.. I jacked the job & found another. Never had it since! Well..? So long as I'm not a manager anyway..!?

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBrown

Have not got a clue what is causing it with no pattern what's so ever just comes on as it wants. I have a week off over easter so may need to book a visit as starting to scare me now. Thank you every one

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wishing you the best of luck with it. & enjoy Yer week off..!

GJ300

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , I suffer with something similar from time to time - paranoia of having a heart attack - the gp says if it isn't broken don't fix it but I'm certain there is a connection with diabetes . For instance I have this when hypo and or when high.g.

RobBrown

Such a horrible feeling had my finger on the 999 button last night then the feeling went .may be just the stress of having type one can bring it on.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I wake up in a morning feeling anxious,Its like a fear of somthing,and I dont know what.
I feel better getting up and doing somthing.
Im also having a problem with standing in a queue at a supermarket cheek out.I get hot and restless.
This is only since I got diabetes,but my BS are fine.
I realy dont have anything to worry about,so I dont understand it,Its an awful feeling.

Reactions: 3 people

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have started having panic attacks & anxiety only since becoming diabetic, it has impacted my work and career. The only life change has been diabetes.

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have panic attacks a few years ago which were caused by anxiety following diagnosis of coronary heart disease.. Because the attacks were so severe with my body literally shutting down, sweating, heart racing and my bowels clearing out (not funny in a public place!) the anxiety shifted from the heart problem to worrying about having another attack with the unpleasant things that happened. It became a vicious circle. Eventually I had CBT treatment which helped a lot and I finally got over it having convinced myself that I wasn't going to come to any harm.

Then I was diagnosed with type 1 but I have taken this on without any anxiety (so far so good).

I sympathize with anyone who suffers from anxiety as it's very difficult to overcome. Sometimes you have to have help.

G

gemma6549

I used to have panic attacks a few years ago which were caused by anxiety following diagnosis of coronary heart disease.. Because the attacks were so severe with my body literally shutting down, sweating, heart racing and my bowels clearing out (not funny in a public place!) the anxiety shifted from the heart problem to worrying about having another attack with the unpleasant things that happened. It became a vicious circle. Eventually I had CBT treatment which helped a lot and I finally got over it having convinced myself that I wasn't going to come to any harm.

Then I was diagnosed with type 1 but I have taken this on without any anxiety (so far so good).

I sympathize with anyone who suffers from anxiety as it's very difficult to overcome. Sometimes you have to have help.

I'm glad you managed to get help and overcome things. Anxiety carries such a stigma and people that don't suffer find it very difficult to understand. CBT did wonders for me too.

Reactions: 4 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I wake up in a morning feeling anxious,Its like a fear of somthing,and I dont know what.
I feel better getting up and doing somthing.
Im also having a problem with standing in a queue at a supermarket cheek out.I get hot and restless.
This is only since I got diabetes,but my BS are fine.
I realy dont have anything to worry about,so I dont understand it,Its an awful feeling.
I can understand this feeling exactly. I was diagnosed many years ago with IBS. I'd panic if I wasn't close by to a loo. I'm now over the IBS, but it has left me with a fear of being confined to a room or a queue. I have to have an escape route otherwise the panic takes over. My GP and Hosp appts are a nightmare as I have to endure sitting in a waiting room. I have tried deep, slow breathing in order to calm myself down and it does help, but I can't wait to get out of the queue or waiting room. My experience with IBS, which is now sorted, has left its mark and I suspect because you are diabetic, you are worrying about what might happen. Having being diagnosed just 6 months ago, I now worry about having a hypo whilst I'm stuck in a queue, traffic jam or whatever. I think our feelings are entirely natural and very understandable. I suspect there are many more people like us.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Where to start?....
Generally - Negative people, narrow minded people, being lied to or patronised, prejudice.....oh and poor customer service and black pudding!
Diabetes wise - hypos, hypers, every health issue being automatically linked to diabetes (even pre-existing ones).....chalky glucose tablets.
Have thyroid profile blood tests as soon as possible, if you have not done so recently, what you describe can be symptoms of hyperthyroid disease. pounding heart and slight breathlessness is a common symptom. May as well exclude this, anyway - will need autoantibody tests and a thyroid profile, Autoimmune thyroid diseases - both hyper and hypo - are one of the diseases most often linked with Type one. Ann

Hi
Did you say you had ruled out hyperthyroid disease from hospital blood tests? For a period I felt super-anxious, palpitations, visibly shaking hands, excessive sweating......routine blood tests picked up "marginal" over active thyroid (consultant said it was only slightly out of range). Not huge stock as knew thyroid and diabetes were same autoimmune disease, and my father has ha fluctuating thyroid. Less than four months later back in Blood tests back in normal range and symptoms gone.

Thanks (again) Ann34 for your post.....might not be thyroid for RobBrown, but relevant for me....

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rob,
Don't automatically label yourself as a panic attack sufferer. I have had panic attacks/agoraphobia/depression for 29 years but I have met many people during that time that have had a cluster of unexplained panic attacks and then never had them again. You could be one of these people so give it some time and try not to over analyse it, it might just be a passing thing.
If it does persist then see your doctor. I have been addicted to benzodiazipines for over 20 years so please try and avoid taking these, even for a short period, as dependance is swift. Most doctors don't prescribe them anymore anyway but some of the SSRI anti depressants are good for panic attacks and general anxiety.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Did you say you had ruled out hyperthyroid disease from hospital blood tests? For a period I felt super-anxious, palpitations, visibly shaking hands, excessive sweating......routine blood tests picked up "marginal" over active thyroid (consultant said it was only slightly out of range). Not huge stock as knew thyroid and diabetes were same autoimmune disease, and my father has ha fluctuating thyroid. Less than four months later back in Blood tests back in normal range and symptoms gone.

Thanks (again) Ann34 for your post.....might not be thyroid for RobBrown, but relevant for me....
Glad things have settled. i have unstable hypothyroid disease so medication needs change, especially after illness or minor weight loss, it's been a long learning curve learning to balance thyroid medication well enough to prevent these type of symptoms. Yes, it runs in the family - one hyperthyroid, 3 hypothyroid, Ann

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Breathing into a 'paper bag' can help a low or mild panic attack .
As you breathe back from the paper bag it can assist to regulate and calm your breathing .

Please only use a paper bag though .
Try focusing on your breathing whilst doing this .
Breathing and focus on getting calmer .

It can work with low or mild panic attacks and non-asthmatics .