Snacks and Munchies - Lend me Your Best!

Yeknodathon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking for some ideas after I spent 20 minutes going through M&S shelves and attracting the attention of he security guard trying to find a nice crunchy bag of something that looks tasty and low in carbs for a special treeat.

No, the smokey chipolte chilli nuts were not under 3g carbs, I just mis-read the label with my fuzzy eyes but **** they were good and **** did spike just a tad

Munchies, I want munchies, a bag of something salt n vinegar... hmmmmmm because the intyernal thought patterns "oh, I want a snack, so lets have some cold mackeral" or even worse the new developed skill of being able to taste the differences between different cucumbers is getting a bit disturbing.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haha! I love the M&S luxury nut assortment when I need something crunchy & munchy! Bit pricey for what Ya get but everyone that knows me knows they are MY nuts and I don't share them lol sure Ya can get salt n vinegar ones?

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only tried the nut bars but have you seen the snacks on the 'natural low carb store'

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried drying kale? I have just discovered it I never craved sweet things but I could kill for crisps ! I coat the kale leaves lightly with oil and season with salt then spread onto a baking sheet or tray and cook in the oven until they are crispy ,you can add chilli powder or curry powder also for more of a kick .It is also good crumbled like seaweed on chinese meals
CAROL

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Savoury popcorn isn't toooooo bad, provided you don't go for a big bag. Here I can buy a 28gr bag of "Fiery Cheese Popcorn", which tells me it's 10gr. I don't snack, but if we have people in for drinks, it means I have something I can nibble on that's a bit different to plain old peanuts, and people think it's very naughty.

28gr of popcorn is quite a lot. Trust me!

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me which sctachings aren't like bullets? I've thrown 2 bags away because they'd have broken my teeth!
Have you tried "Mr Porky" I get a six pack from Asda (currently on off at £1.50) They are pretty crunchy but sometimes soft in the middle - yummy :)

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seeds are good for a snack and healthy too, pumpkin seeds have a nice nutty taste to them.

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@rowan~try looking for pork crunch rather than pork crackling. It's more "puffed up" but still low carb. Hope this helps

Smartie xx

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too like pork scratchings even before I was diabetic. My husband doesn't like them and when he sees me with them he says "You are what you eat"!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@rowan~try looking for pork crunch rather than pork crackling. It's more "puffed up" but still low carb. Hope this helps

Smartie xx

Ok, will have a look, but tesco haven't got them and I get most of my shopping online with them. I can look in the village shop but very limited choice there.

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@rowan Funnily enough my tiny corner shop does pork crunch & 4 different makes of pork scratchings, so you never know lol

Smartie xx

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Celery sticks with Brussels pate or Philadelphia cheese, satisfying and crunchy