GlucoRx Lancing device and lancets - painful!

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

This is a slight diversion from the topic of GlucoRx Blood testing machines and strips....

Some of us have been forced by the GP's to take on the GlucoRx brand for glucose blood testing, one of them being me. I have already discussed this machine and its issues in another post but i felt this topic needed a separate thread.

I am finding pricking my finger with the new GlucoRx device and lancets extremely painful, is anyone else finding this?

For years I have been on the Accu chek softclix XL device and lancets which were painful but nothing compared to GlucoRx and especially if you are having to check your bloods a minimum 6 times a day. I have only been using this GlucoRx one for about 6 days and I am now dreading each time I have to do a test. The device is very fidgety to load etc and is something I probably used over 15 years back when they were less developed and not so well designed, but the pain is really not acceptable. Do I have a choice on this?

Your experiences?

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been using a GlucoRX Nexus kit for a few years now. I will admit to a bit of discomfort sometimes when using the lancets but I wouldn't describe it as painful. I tend to use my lancets for a long time so I put it down to the lancet getting blunt.

My DN won't consider giving me a different meter kit so I've just learned to accept it.

I only test 2 to 4 times a day so I can understand if you are testing more than that.

Jim

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just go back to using the Softclix if your happy with the GlucoRx meter itself, the only problem might be that your gp may refuse to prescribe the lancet drums for the Softclix.

I've used the Multiclix device since they came out and have swapped meter brands a couple of times since then, at present I'm using the Freestyle bg strips for my pump and still get the Multiclix on prescription, tbh my Dr has never questioned them being on my repeat.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our surgery has just done the same. The RX meter isn't as good for displaying data as the previous one, Accu chek Aviva. However, I assume that one of the admin staff was left to alter the prescriptions and has left the multi-clix lancets on the prescription & added Gluco RX needles instead.

I don't intend telling them & will just carry on with the multi-clix. They also altered the number of strips from 250 at a time to 100. I'll just increase the frequency of prescriptions to see if they notice & get it changed at the next review...

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for replying and the advice so far....

Having called, met the nurse and explained countless number of times over the last few months, the GP staff would not listen. The brick wall phenomenon?

In the end I actually had to go and get an appointment (the first appt available was a month later!!) with a GP at my surgery and explain that I was on the pump and it has an inbuilt BG machine which uses Freestyle strips etc and it was only then that they changed me back from GlucoRX. Unfortunately I could not convince him that that the Accu chek lancets was also essential, so stuck with the GlucoRx in that department.

Now to see next month if they honor this latest update re: freestyle strips when I order it on my repeats.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@neels, if you have further trouble have a word with your pump DSN/Consultant, they will write to your gp which should help resolve matters.

Reactions: 2 people

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@neels I also had the same issue with the lancets (and Novopen needles) being swapped for the GlucoRX ones and yes I agree they are quite painful. The message from my diabetes clinic was to advise them and they will correct it by writing to the GP. I didn't need to do that fortunately as my GP listened first time.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you could buy your own lancets, they aren't that dear

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the responses and advice!

I have just recently discovered that I can use the Rx lancets in the One Touch lancing device (it fits with no problem) and have found even though its not the same as the Accu chek lancets/device - ie being less painful, its actually a lot less painful than using the GlucoRx lancing device.

Hope that helps some of you.... :)