Newbie trying Newcastle diet.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting comments Pipp

At half way on the ND I've worked hard to give up carbs apart from what is recommended as part of the diet. Though I miss many 'carby' foods, I've no intention of getting back into old bad habits again. If any are taken as a treat, it will be in moderation, as an occasional 'one off' and with suitable compensation

I too am wary of the HF bit of LCHF and so post ND I aim to be more 'moderated fat' - nuts I can live without, cheese will be in moderation and most of the cheese I enjoy isn't mega high fat anyways

I'm certainly going to be a lot more 'careful' about what I eat, re-introducing a revised LCMF diet

I agree with the high fat thing, I think you have to smart about it and not swap one problem for another. I Like the Dr Jason Fung common sense approach to diabetes. He is a eat well person, he says whole grains work because of the fibre they contain. When processing takes out the fibre we are just left with poison. When we eat whole grains the antidote in still wrapped in the package. He states we should eat fat but in healthier forms like coconut oil and olive oil.

The book "Cut the Carbs" by Tori Haschka is very good she is a whole food girl and uses whole grains in her food to reduce to carbs. I have also completely cut out sugar and have been researching some alternative like Rice Malt Syrup. I think the way to success is a few nice things, that are low carb and not high fat or sugar in a diet that is base on good clean, real food. In other words not processed in anyway or made of refined or processed ingredients. Its not easy and feels like learning a new skill but the food tastes good.

Reactions: 2 people

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't get the attachments. :(

Whole grain may be fine for others, but alas, not for me. I truly believe that following the NHS guidelines to include wholegrain and starchy carbs in every meal was a contributory factor in my weight gain and T2diagnosis.

However, if you find that you can tolerate them well without raising BG, there are some tasty meals to look forward to.

I only have my evening meal with whole grains, I try to have as few carbs as possible for breakfast and lunch and make LOTS of veg soups and have things like tomatoes and a slice of bacon and mushrooms for breakfast.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
None of my friends can open the attachment either not very technically mind so I will try another later.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the high fat thing, I think you have to smart about it and not swap one problem for another. I Like the Dr Jason Fung common sense approach to diabetes. He is a eat well person, he says whole grains work because of the fibre they contain. When processing takes out the fibre we are just left with poison. When we eat whole grains the antidote in still wrapped in the package. He states we should eat fat but in healthier forms like coconut oil and olive oil.

The book "Cut the Carbs" by Tori Haschka is very good she is a whole food girl and uses whole grains in her food to reduce to carbs. I have also completely cut out sugar and have been researching some alternative like Rice Malt Syrup. I think the way to success is a few nice things, that are low carb and not high fat or sugar in a diet that is base on good clean, real food. In other words not processed in anyway or made of refined or processed ingredients. Its not easy and feels like learning a new skill but the food tastes good.
For me the problems began when I started to eat the complex carbs with every meal as advised by nurse following small weight gain after an accident that disabled me. I didn't eat that much starch before, and although I have never been skinny, I was acceptable weight. Diet was veg, fruit, fish meat some dairy. Never really liked sweet things but enjoyed savoury crisps, crackers and cheese. I know what I need to avoid. And following my first ND stint kept weight stable for 2 years. Only after becoming immobile and depending on others for catering, then experimenting with carbs to see if they spiked BG, followed by trying HF diet that I began to gain weight again. Hopefully, now that the recent NDers have inspired me I am getting that sorted.

So my thanks to you all.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
For me the problems began when I started to eat the complex carbs with every meal as advised by nurse following small weight gain after an accident that disabled me. I didn't eat that much starch before, and although I have never been skinny, I was acceptable weight. Diet was veg, fruit, fish meat some dairy. Never really liked sweet things but enjoyed savoury crisps, crackers and cheese. I know what I need to avoid. And following my first ND stint kept weight stable for 2 years. Only after becoming immobile and depending on others for catering, then experimenting with carbs to see if they spiked BG, followed by trying HF diet that I began to gain weight again. Hopefully, now that the recent NDers have inspired me I am getting that sorted.

So my thanks to you all.

I think you hit it on the head you know what to avoid, to me that means you have already figured out the hard part. I feel like I am still in the figuring out stage. Had no spikes yet having a homemade chicken curry tonight with either whole wheat Socca or oopsies from the diet doctor (homemade) first type of bread of any kind even if it is low carb so I am a little nervous. Keep strong and keep posting.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you hit it on the head you know what to avoid, to me that means you have already figured out the hard part. I feel like I am still in the figuring out stage. Had no spikes yet having a homemade chicken curry tonight with either whole wheat Socca or oopsies from the diet doctor (homemade) first type of bread of any kind even if it is low carb so I am a little nervous. Keep strong and keep posting.

You are doing well. Once you have worked out what foods are ok for you you will be able to reduce the blood testing. Some people would not agree, but I just test occasionally to make sure no sneaky increases creep up on me. Likewise weigh myself a couple of times a month. What I slipped up on here was that I did not take action with the weight creep soon enough. Not going to dwell on that though. There have been reasons why but now I am sorting it.

I really hope to see plenty of others who can come back in 3 years and tell folks that they have reversed Diabetes for that long.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp I Agree with what you say
I dont test every meal now, I did when I was diagnosed but once I knew this lot of food I can eat and this I cant I just started eating the same food, I would just do a random test to surprise myself and see if the figures are ok or not.
I took the HF part seriously too and I am a nut eater and had all the more reason to eat lots of them, specially pistachios and boy did i gain weight, absolutely crazy, but not going to do same mistakes again.
About carbs I really dont miss them anymore, I was talking to my wife yesterday and I told her I miss my proteins more than the carbs as I had changed my diet completely to more proteins during the day after diagnosis, It was a difficult phase to go from eating carbs 3 times a day to limited carb once a day, I was at about 30g to 40g carbs a day and there could be days when I was less than 10g during whole day.
@The little white hen may be you can post the pic on your blog if you find it convenient
I seem to be not loosing enough from waist and have again cranked up the exercise and some push ups too, I am walking about 3 to 4 miles a day everyday again, only did not do it for a few days but then felt too bored :)
I definitely will go back to the LCHF way of eating again once off the diet and combine that with 5:2 diet if I can, I have downloaded a few apps on my phone to know more about it.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing well. Once you have worked out what foods are ok for you you will be able to reduce the blood testing. Some people would not agree, but I just test occasionally to make sure no sneaky increases creep up on me. Likewise weigh myself a couple of times a month. What I slipped up on here was that I did not take action with the weight creep soon enough. Not going to dwell on that though. There have been reasons why but now I am sorting it.

I really hope to see plenty of others who can come back in 3 years and tell folks that they have reversed Diabetes for that long.

I hope I will be one of those people. I agree with your comment on not taking action when a little weight is gained, I did the same. I have looked to my best friend for advice on staying slim. She has always been around the same weight and never mentions being on a diet. She said she does not weigh herself very often but uses her clothes as a guide, if things start to feel a little tight she will check her weight and then exercise more and eat a little smatter (as she calls it). She says that it usually starts to show in clothes around five pounds and she can shift that in a couple of weeks of good behaviour.

M

mojo37

Thanks for replying, I have never been on a forum before. In answer to your question. I have lost a total of 3 stones since Jan 2011 when I was diagnosed, I did this by changing eating habits, reducing portion sizes and more exercise. I don't like the gym and I'm not sporty so I walk the dog and dig my allotment even if it does not need it.

My diabetes type 2 is under control and I am feeling great. I still have a fatty middle even with the loss. My doctor thinks this diet will help to lose the fat from around my pancreas and reduce my medication or best case put the diabetes in to remission. He has been very clear to manage my expectations and says there is not guarantees. I want to try and be proactive if possible, if I can reduce my medication I will work very hard to live a heather lifestyle. Something I did not have before I was diagnosed.

Its nice to hear about a supportive doctor:)

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have cleared out my local town library of low carb books to find new meal ideas. I have found a nice vegetable gratin with crème fraiche, nice on its own or with some protein. What I have also discovered is that cooking from scratch takes time and makes more mess but it is also very rewarding. Second week off ND now, 2lb on but been to gym loads so could be muscle weight. Still on white protein only and 1500kcal per day. No reading over 8.2 after food and most around 6.6 - 7.4. Feeling good and moving forward.

Reactions: 4 people

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you can all see this image. This is me now over 50lbs lighter than the profile picture 25lbs off on ND.

Teresa 2015.jpg

Reactions: 15 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope you can all see this image. This is me now over 50lbs lighter than the profile picture 25lbs off on ND.

View attachment 12906
No wonder you are smiling! Well done.

The difficult bit starts now though. Not sure how much attention you like, but I found some comments awkward. People were so curious about weight loss sometimes to the point of being rude.

As for future diet / eating regime, there are some threads in here with ideas for low carb meals, and some lovely supportive members who will advise.

Good luck in maintaining weight and good BG control. Long term, like forever!

I ask, (pretty please) keep posting to encourage and support others. Until recently it had been kind of lonely being one of the few successful Newcastle dieters (some would regard that as weirdo/liar/bullmucker etc.) For some of us, ND Is the answer to solving the initial pancreas overload. You have followed procedure set out by the Newcastle team, persuaded medics to get onboard and support you, and not had unrealistic expectations.

I applaud you!

Reactions: 6 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Pipp I Agree with what you say
I dont test every meal now, I did when I was diagnosed but once I knew this lot of food I can eat and this I cant I just started eating the same food, I would just do a random test to surprise myself and see if the figures are ok or not.
I took the HF part seriously too and I am a nut eater and had all the more reason to eat lots of them, specially pistachios and boy did i gain weight, absolutely crazy, but not going to do same mistakes again.
About carbs I really dont miss them anymore, I was talking to my wife yesterday and I told her I miss my proteins more than the carbs as I had changed my diet completely to more proteins during the day after diagnosis, It was a difficult phase to go from eating carbs 3 times a day to limited carb once a day, I was at about 30g to 40g carbs a day and there could be days when I was less than 10g during whole day.
@The little white hen may be you can post the pic on your blog if you find it convenient
I seem to be not loosing enough from waist and have again cranked up the exercise and some push ups too, I am walking about 3 to 4 miles a day everyday again, only did not do it for a few days but then felt too bored :)
I definitely will go back to the LCHF way of eating again once off the diet and combine that with 5:2 diet if I can, I have downloaded a few apps on my phone to know more about it.

One way to keep the nuts thing in check (I too LOVE pistacios) is think in terms of a small handful of nuts per day. And I find having a few of my favourite nuts just feels like heaven enough. (ie a few macadamias, five or six pistacios, some raw unsalted cashews - and a few small pieces of divine brie to 'wash them down' with.) By keeping up the movement/exercise, and carbs to tubers and popcorn (I know - can't seem, to wean myself off home popped popcorn in butter or coconut oil, which I have as a carb treat once a week) I haven't gained any weight since my deviated ND. And I am definitely a LCHF/paleo eater, as you can see! Satiety on protein, veg, fruit and healthful fats is key for me.

I thought I was going to stay off of paleo baked goods (which uses nut flours and coconut oil and eggs as the key ingredients) in my first adjustment month, but I found that after the D-ND I was craving paleo 'bread', so I baked some, and felt very full after very little. The LCHFers might say it was the masses of butter I smeared on the slices? I love the high levels of energy such a diet give me, and I love to move a lot. But what food you eat and levels of movement are very personal, indeed.

I also know what you mean about walking getting boring sometimes! (If that is what you meant?) The only way I can keep up serious walking regimes is to basically always have somewhere to go! (Movies, bars, cafes, friends, or just the boring supermarket.)

But serious walking is for when on a normal diet. There is no way I could keep up my normal walking and exercising regime when on the paltry calorie intake of the ND/VLCD/LCD. I know in the ND notes they say to keep up your normal regimen, but that was not possible for me.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One way to keep the nuts thing in check (I too LOVE pistacios) is think in terms of a small handful of nuts per day. And I find having a few of my favourite nuts just feels like heaven enough. (ie a few macadamias, five or six pistacios, some raw unsalted cashews - and a few small pieces of divine brie to 'wash them down' with.) By keeping up the movement/exercise, and carbs to tubers and popcorn (I know - can't seem, to wean myself off home popped popcorn in butter or coconut oil, which I have as a carb treat once a week) I haven't gained any weight since my deviated ND. And I am definitely a LCHF/paleo eater, as you can see! Satiety on protein, veg, fruit and healthful fats is key for me.

I thought I was going to stay off of paleo baked goods (which uses nut flours and coconut oil and eggs as the key ingredients) in my first adjustment month, but I found that after the D-ND I was craving paleo 'bread', so I baked some, and felt very full after very little. The LCHFers might say it was the masses of butter I smeared on the slices? I love the high levels of energy such a diet give me, and I love to move a lot. But what food you eat and levels of movement are very personal, indeed.

I also know what you mean about walking getting boring sometimes! (If that is what you meant?) The only way I can keep up serious walking regimes is to basically always have somewhere to go! (Movies, bars, cafes, friends, or just the boring supermarket.)

But serious walking is for when on a normal diet. There is no way I could keep up my normal walking and exercising regime when on the paltry calorie intake of the ND/VLCD/LCD. I know in the ND notes they say to keep up your normal regimen, but that was not possible for me.
Hi Aloesvea

How are you doing post ND.
I do try to walk 3 to 4 miles and have had days when I have managed to walk upto 7 miles but I feel fine, infact I feel more energetic than earlier.
How are your readings looking like now, I saw your signature has a new A1C which looks very good.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Aloesvea

How are you doing post ND.
I do try to walk 3 to 4 miles and have had days when I have managed to walk upto 7 miles but I feel fine, infact I feel more energetic than earlier.
How are your readings looking like now, I saw your signature has a new A1C which looks very good.

Right back at ya Brettsza! Your 39 is enviable indeed. (And once I post this reply I will have to look up what the hell a mile converts to! For now I am just assuming you walk a lot!)

As for me, I have much better blood glucose control than before the D-ND for sure, FBGs in the steadily 'intermediate hyperglycemic/pre-diabetic' range. My post-meal BGs have made the biggest improvement. I have come to understand what 'blood glucose control' actually means in a way I didn't before. I would love to have improved my liver and pancreas function to a wondrous below 40 HBA1c, and normal FBGs, but I realised that was not to be in 8 weeks as it is for some doing a VLCD. I'm just going to have to keep on plodding. But I was pretty thrilled when the doc gave me the March reading. I had been secretely hoping for a drop to 45, so 44 was gratefully received. Rather than get super skinny by starving some more (my 'Personal Fat Threshold' is probably another 5 or even 10kg lighter than what I am, but I am not keen to check that out), I'm hoping I will get the same improved function by getting musclier - develop that Glut4 path for the excess glucose to get out of my bloodstream. Or I may try intermittent fasting some time in the future. I'm not sure.

Any more tips for me from your journey from 46 in November to that gorgeous normal reading in March?

Reactions: 4 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right back at ya Brettsza! Your 39 is enviable indeed. (And once I post this reply I will have to look up what the hell a mile converts to! For now I am just assuming you walk a lot!)

As for me, I have much better blood glucose control than before the D-ND for sure, FBGs in the steadily 'intermediate hyperglycemic/pre-diabetic' range. My post-meal BGs have made the biggest improvement. I have come to understand what 'blood glucose control' actually means in a way I didn't before. I would love to have improved my liver and pancreas function to a wondrous below 40 HBA1c, and normal FBGs, but I realised that was not to be in 8 weeks as it is for some doing a VLCD. I'm just going to have to keep on plodding. But I was pretty thrilled when the doc gave me the March reading. I had been secretely hoping for a drop to 45, so 44 was gratefully received. Rather than get super skinny by starving some more (my 'Personal Fat Threshold' is probably another 5 or even 10kg lighter than what I am, but I am not keen to check that out), I'm hoping I will get the same improved function by getting musclier - develop that Glut4 path for the excess glucose to get out of my bloodstream. Or I may try intermittent fasting some time in the future. I'm not sure.

Any more tips for me from your journey from 46 in November to that gorgeous normal reading in March?
To be honest it was only diet, I did not exercise at all, never found the time but on nd I am forcing myself, my day begins at 530 and ends at 1130 so very busy but the only time I have is my lunch time of an hour and I walk 2 miles to andfrom the station to home. I only did lchf but I was very strict with my carbs, kept them at 40g most of the times but on odd days less than 10 for whole day. Its all thanks to this forum and the members here who have all been super supportive, definitely couldn't do without all this help. 142 to 39 in 6 months and I expect this to gofurther down to may be early 30's this time. I am 4 all day except a 5 after 1 hour of shake which is too sweet for me as I don't have a sweet tooth and now scared I might have it after I finish ND :)