Salad

newstart1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys. I was wondering what you put In your salads to bulk them out? I put meat and fish in but very hungry about an hour later. Can you help? Thank you x

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys. I was wondering what you put In your salads to bulk them out? I put meat and fish in but very hungry about an hour later. Can you help? Thank you x

Mushrooms and raw cauliflower.

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Capers, cucumber and olives. I make dressing using 1tsp olive oil, 2tsp cider vinegar, dash of mustard, salt and pepper. Think the oil in the dressing helps to fill me up!

D

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you use an oil based dressing I find finely grated parmesan cheese helps the dressing to stick better so you can use larger amounts of it. And more dressing means more oil and longer satiety.

But proper meals are better I think. I eat a couple of times per day, when I get hungry and then I eat until I'm full. Fat helps a lot.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Couple of boiled eggs and plenty of cheese or cheeses.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Crated carrot, cucumber, spring onions, tomatoes, beetroot, sliced pickled garlic cloves, cheese with a side helping of coleslaw.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pickled onions - lots. Chopped celery and homemade coleslaw with red and white cabbage. Chatenay carrots, beetroot, lots of red peppers - I like to mix tuna with diced red onion, red peppers and cherry toms and mayo as it bulks it out - you can do same with egg mayo - lots of toms and red pepper gives it a bit more body. I also like a big mound of salad cress and find that romaine/ cos lettuce keeps me full for longer.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Avocado, and lots of Hellmann's :)

Don't like mayonnaise personally but avocados are really good.I add some yoghurt dressing with various additives such as chives and nuts or seeds are also good to fill you up as they are high in fat and not too many carbs. I buy the seed sprinkles, walnuts, almonds etc but go easy on cashew nuts as they are higher in carbs than other nuts.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Chopped up bacon with walnuts and avocado, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.