Update

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hi all, I haven't been here for a really long time because life kind of got in the way for a while. To be honest I didn't really have anything to update from a diabetes point of view, but I recently had my a1c tested, for the first time since I was told I was prediabetic last August. I've lost a few stone (nothing since last October though) and been taking metformin since last October. I've not been able to do much exercise though as I had surgery last November and another 3 times since then and have been off work sick most of the time since then. I'm seeing a physio though and working towards getting more active again. I'm having more surgery on a couple of weeks, but hoping to get back to work in May...and get on with my life! I found out recently that I do have PCOS and I'm currently awaiting an appointment with a nephrologist - still seeing an endocrinologost and dietician etc, so I'm getting loads of input. And the result of all that is finally, my a1C is NORMAL (38).

Woo hoo! At least something is going well. My GP is really pleased with my progress too :)

Reactions: 14 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Forogot to say i'm currently on a high protein low gi carb diet with 6 portions carb a day - or that's the plan. To be honest, I don't usually get more than 4 portions of carbs but I've been told to stay on this until I see the nephrologist about my kidneys. I lost much more weight with low carbing though and in the longer term I want to go back to a lower amount of carbs, even if I can't go qwuite as low as I'd like to.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So lovely to see you post. I often wondered where you'd got sidetracked to.

Great news on the HbA1c. It would seem that whether you want to go lower carb or not, your current eating regime is working for your bloods at least.

What a shame about all that slice and dice stuff. That's a lot of surgery in just a few months. I do hope it's been a programme to progress things, rather than serial surgical "bumps in the road"

How are you managing to occupy your time away from work? I know, from experience that it can be easy to fill the time, productively and less than productively. But, please tell me you haven't fallen foul of the Bargain Hunt, Cash in the Attic and Homes under the Hammer spells?

Lovely to see you, and please keep in touch!!

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the update :) I had been wondering about you and how you are getting on !

Great Hb ! Well done you ! :D

Signy

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news on the HbA1c - sounds like things are looking up and that you are receiving the necessary medical help and care that you require. Well done on weight loss and good luck with the nephrologist xx

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, nice to see you back and I'm glad you're ok.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Glad to see you report in with such good news :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBLLLlEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS Hello! You were missed!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back Loobles, I have frequently wondered where you were. Good to have you back, thanks for the update, and well done on the HbA1c - you must be delighted. :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Well done @Loobles , great to know you've been making excellent progress.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only just seen this loobles....nice the see you again and well done on your hba1c, given your added complications that's going some to get there!! Keep popping back :)

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks guys, I wasn't even sure if you'd remember me as life got in the way a bit. I've had a rocky few months with 5 surgeries in 5 months (last one this week) but I'm now reaching the point where I can put focus bck on my lifestyle changes again. I had never given up on that side of things, more just maintained it, without really improving things further...but now it's time to get serious again :)

My A1c of 38 was fabulous news, though I don't consider myself cured, just well controlled with diet and metformin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey! 5 in 5? That's horrific.

But you must be mending nicely, or you wouldn't be visiting us again.

:D:D:D

Reactions: 4 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yep, mending nicely thanks @Brunneria - it's taken longer than planned and I've had a lot of complications (more unlucky that diabetes or fitness/weight related) but I just have 1 more surgery to go in June and then I'm hopefully back swimming not long after...you know how much i loved my swimming but I haven't been able to go since October as my surgeon said it was a silly idea lol.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Loobles I feel for you. Countdown to June now then?:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loooove swimming.
But I'm afraid I'm not very grown up about it.

Picture a generously curved woman of middle years (48) swimming in circles, rolling like a beluga, flipping tails like a blue, launching sneak attacks from below like a killer whale, pretending to be a solo synchronised swimmer, blowing bubbles while sitting cross legged at the bottom of the deep end, and goosing their husband at every opportunity.

What can I say? I'm a water baby. I just can't help myself.

The only things I don't do are belly flops and bombs.
We want a little water left in the pool, don't we?