Diabetes and Redundancy

suggs108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi Folks. Wondering if someone can help me please . I've had Diabetes type 2 since October last year . I returned to work in February 15 after a period of 4 months due to severe problems with my Diabetes. My company operate a points system for Redundancy and at present there is a redundancy situation . Can I be scored lower for taking time off due to this condition or am I covered under the Disability Discrimination Act ? One for HR people out there but all advice welcome . I'm in the UK by the way.

Many Thanks

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
CAB = means visting a Citizens Advice Beuro
For those who need advice with employment/redundancy/benefits etc

suggs108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Thanks for that input. I'll keep that link handy in the event I'm included on the 'at risk' list tomorrow. Fingers crossed I'm not eh?

gerrymac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been made redundant and this because of type 2 diabetes.This was not given as the reason.

RAH79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG! That's weird, I was just reading about this case in work, it might be useful to you >> Bonfield v West Yorkshire Probation Board ET/1808833/09.
Link : http://www.clarkslegal.com/Legal_Up...undancy_scoring_was_disability_discrimination
It basically related to a redundancy procedure that the Company used and there was a legal obligation of the employer to consider discounting any disability related absences such as Diabetes when creating an absence score.

In your case however, there are a couple of things to consider. The above case was only a discrimination because the employer was previously aware of the employees Diabetes and the OH confirmed it was likely to be a disability related condition in accordance with the Equality Act 2010. Secondly, you would need OH to confirm that your absences were linked to your Type 2 Diabetes. there has been much debate in Employment Law recently as to whether Type 2 is considered a "Disability" in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 > http://www.footanstey.com/bulletins/2697-is-type-2-diabetes-a-disability-under-the-equality-act-2010. The Equality Act 2010 defines disability as :

Disability
(1)A person (P) has a disability if—

(a)P has a physical or mental impairment, and

(b)the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on P's ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/6)

This is a definition in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 which is used in the purpose of Employment Law. An OH advisor can confirm if you are likely or unlikely to be covered under the Equality Act 2010. If you already have this confirmed then your Employer should consider discounting any Diabetic related absence as a reasonable adjustment and the the purpose of redundancy scoring processes. It might be a good idea to print off the above links and taken them into work to show your Employer. If it's more than 20 redundancies, your Trade Union should be consulted, therefore if so you may wish to show this to your Trade Union who can challenge the Employer's scoring criteria.

Reactions: 2 people