Bread

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The one that's left in the packet ;)

Seriously, I used to adore bread and thought I could never do without it, but I simply don't eat it anymore - there are far better ways for me to get the few carbs I eat
What do you have instead of bread then?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Which is the best bread for type 2 diabetes
I was a serious baker before diagnosis, sourdough, the whole thing.... used to have a well fired roll and banana for my morning break... full on carbs... not touched a slice since... miss it? yes a bit but 13 months later it's okay with some nuts and cheese...

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you have instead of bread then?

I occasionally use high fibre, low carb wraps (4g carbs per wrap) to make quick meals where I'd have previously had a sandwich but apart from that I don't have anything "instead" - I've changed my diet completely.
For example, a typical day's menu might be:

Breakfast: home made strained yoghurt with a few raspberries

Lunch: chicken salad with mayonnaise

Dinner: steak with mushrooms, green beans and cauliflower followed by home made low carb ice cream.

I may add a couple of squares of 90% cacao chocolate (which I've just discovered and is delicious) as a treat and to add some calories, or a handful of seeds

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 3 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mojo37 As a Type 2 starchy carbs such as bread, pasta and rice are your enemy. Meat is unlikely to raise your blood sugar. I know which I would rather eat - meat.

M

mojo37

@mojo37 As a Type 2 starchy carbs such as bread, pasta and rice are your enemy. Meat is unlikely to raise your blood sugar. I know which I would rather eat - meat.[/Quote )
I know they are the 'enemy' but I still love them and would rather have them than meat but that's the way the cookie crumbles ( I love them too );). On a more serious note of course I am cutting right down on my carb intake and testing my BG levels

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Ah but some of us love bread I'd rather give up meat than bread :(
I know how you feel it is so hard to end our relationship with bread we love it, i know i did, Asda Tiger bread was my favorite, but sometimes somethings that are bad for us have to go, i just got sick of my bg rocket rising every meal just because i ate what seems like innocent bread, without the bread i get much better control of my bg. I look at bread in a different light now. Its finding a good alternative and choosing to do something different which is the hard part.

Reactions: 3 people
M

mojo37

I know how you feel it is so hard to end our relationship with bread we love it, i know i did, Asda Tiger bread was my favorite, but sometimes somethings that are bad for us have to go, i just got sick of my bg rocket rising every meal just because i ate what seems like innocent bread, without the bread i get much better control of my bg. I look at bread in a different light now. Its finding a good alternative and choosing to do something different which is the hard part.
So true its a staple food for many but of course only harmful now ( to myself) because I quite generously gave myself diabetes :(. Have tried the burgen bread but its not the real thing so its back to one slice of wholemeal ( instead of my pre diabetic state )of at least 4 or 5 . Oh and yes tiger bread is lush ;). Though I do find a good bout of exercise after eating carbs brings my BG levels back down quite quickly

Reactions: 2 people