Comments on this meal

jeanie99

I am prediabetic managed to reduce my blood sugar levels by diet and back to normal.

Have taken my finger off the button though in the last few months and have had some high readings from my prick tests.

Tonight I had what I thought was a good meal for me
baked fish, bulger wheat, cucumber, tomatoes, cucumber, mushy peas, orange, few nuts.

reading was 9.7

I time 2 hrs from start of meal.

comments please where I am going wrong

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Jeanie, there are a lot of carbs in that meal. Bulger wheat, mushy peas and the orange all have considerable amounts of carbs. I was advised to eat no more than 30g of carbs in one meal by a dietitian. You would do best to reduce your carbs and increase your fat a little to make up the calories and slow the absorption of the carbs that you are eating.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @jeanie99 ,

Did the fish have bread crumbs?

Bulgar Wheat would have high Carbs,
Tomatoes have some carbs but usually OK unless they were tinned Plumb tom's?
Mushy peas, I presume tinned if so have a look at the tin these are high in carbs?
Orange full of Fructose (sugar)
Depends on what Nuts some nuts have a lot of Carbohydrates.

I'm am out of the diabetic range but can only tolerate about 15 to 20 carbs in a meal.

I would agree with @Lesleywo above entirely.

Neil

Reactions: 2 people

jeanie99

I baked fresh fish, cooked the mushy peas from frozen had a couple of desert spoons that's all.
Did eat quite a bit of bulger wheat though which was cooked including tinned tomatoes for taste.
The tomatoes in the salad are fresh..
30 grams of carb that is a minute amount, is this the weight of the food, if it is it's hardly anything. Can you explain.
With roasted chicken I usually eat cauli, brocoli, carrots,sweat potatoe celery. the reading is about 7 for this type of dinner

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
30gm is not the weight of the food jeanie99 - its the amount of carbs. For packaged food it should appear on the nutritional panel & for fresh food you can google 'carbs per 100gm' along with the name of the food.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I baked fresh fish, cooked the mushy peas from frozen had a couple of desert spoons that's all.
Did eat quite a bit of bulger wheat though which was cooked including tinned tomatoes for taste.
The tomatoes in the salad are fresh..
30 grams of carb that is a minute amount, is this the weight of the food, if it is it's hardly anything. Can you explain.
With roasted chicken I usually eat cauli, brocoli, carrots,sweat potato celery. the reading is about 7 for this type of dinner

Hi, Ive googled bulgar wheat, that is what's the carbs in Bulgar wheat.
For 100grams of Bulgar Wheat there are 76 carbs those carbs will turn to sugar.
100grams of tinned tomatoes = 10g of carbs
100grams of frozen peas = again about 10carbs

It is the carbs you have to watch, your roast dinner seems OK the main carbs are the sweet potato the rest is all very low. Most veg above the ground is OK it's the root veg you have to watch, although Swede & Celeriac seem to be OK

Hope this helps

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Yes I know 30g for a meal and 15g for a snack doesn't seem much if you're used to eating more carbs. I didn't think I ate that many carbs but for me it was the fruit .. I used to have muesli with 2 pieces of fruit for breakfast which was a big whack of carbs. Now 30g seems a lot of carbs when you've been eating a low carb diet for a while It's surprising what you can get used to!

jeanie99

I did notice when I had swede and pineapple the other day my prick test was high so I shall avoid those two.
I find it a challenge with the carb values for the different foods.
Thing is I also have to consider my high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart valve disease.
Some foods are alright for diabetes but not for my other health problems.
It's a nightmare trying to get my head around what I can eat.
All the creams butters cheeses are on my avoid list.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
All the creams butters and cheese should be on your list. Off the list should be bread pasta etc all the white stuff. Veg that grow below ground are out too . Berries are your only friend.
I aim for less than 15 grams of carb per day at the moment.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I did notice when I had swede and pineapple the other day my prick test was high so I shall avoid those two.
I find it a challenge with the carb values for the different foods.
Thing is I also have to consider my high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart valve disease.
Some foods are alright for diabetes but not for my other health problems.
It's a nightmare trying to get my head around what I can eat.
All the creams butters cheeses are on my avoid list.
First of all, can I say that you are not alone in finding food a nightmare when first diagnosed. I remember not knowing what to eat. I kept a food diary and tested before eating then every 30 mins for 2 hours. It used a lot of strips but enabled me to see what foods spiked me, when they spiked and by how much.
I avoid bread, pasta and rice as these foods spike my bs - double figures! I do eat plenty of cheese, nuts, avocado, olives, bacon, oily fish, cream, berries, full fat plain Greek yoghurt, green veg, limited root veg, butter and 2 squares of dark choccie a day.