Advice on timing

jeanie99

Please could someone advice on the correct time for taking my prick test
is it 2hr after FINISHING MY MEAL
or
timed 2hrs from the start of the meal

I test at 2 hrs from the start of my meal

There can be a 20 to 30 minute difference between these two times which I assume makes a big difference to the result.

thank you ever so much.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people will test 2 hrs after the first mouthful as this is when the whole digestive process begins.

Depending on the macronutrient composition of your meal it may also be wise to test at 3 hrs - higher amounts of fat & fibre can delay a spike.

Reactions: 2 people

jeanie99

I have had some very high readings over the last few days for my evening dinner and just thought I may be testing too early.

Mainly over 9 and one at 12 and as I am prediabetic this is worrying me.
These were the results from meals I had cooked at home and cooked many times before when the readings were much lower so am very confused to say the least.

My GP said after my last test for the 3 month view that I only needed the test done once a year as it was 41 but these moment in time prick tests results I did at home are now concerning me. The GP said it wasn't necessary to test myself, but surely I need to know what foods are best avoided, I don't understand why he would say this, I have purchased my own meter etc so it did not cost the NHS any money.

Do you think I could insist on having another test done it's some months since this last test.
I do feel inclined to insist as this is a worry to me.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ignore the advice not to test - it's common but wrong!

Your last A1c of 41 is in the prediabetic range but your post meal numbers do seem a little high - are they the 1 or 2 hour readings? Can I ask on what basis/with what kind of numbers you were diagnosed? Also what kind of meals you are eating?

I know stress will raise your levels some & illness can raise them quite a bit - is it possible you're coming down with something? If it's not your diet & it's not illness then I would make an appointment with your Doctor & give her.him a record of your meals & post meal readings.

safi

Edited to add - Were you tested for Type 1 or Type 1.5 at all? Not that your numbers are that high but if they continue rising & it isn't down to diet then you should request further investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you've got time to watch it, this video about glucose challenging/testing is worth watching:

Reactions: 2 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello Jeanie99
In your post you don't mention testing before your meal. Unless you know what your bs is prior to eating, the post meal readings don't give you much idea of what is happening. For example if your pre meal readings were say 5 or 6 , then the amount of carbohydrates in that meal need to be reduced to avoid the spike. However if the pre meal readings were higher, then your meal was fine and there is another reason for the high numbers. Maybe Carby snacks or fruit in between meals, or even vigorous exercise

jeanie99

Thank you everyone for your comments, my goodness this is so confusing.

My readings are from the first mouth full.!!

NOMISTHEMAN
When do you test then if not at two hours from the start of a meal.

I never test before an evening meal, sometimes before breakfast when it as varied between 5 and 5.9.

After the 5.9 reading and a breakfast of home made veg soup (I don't like cereals) and 2 soya linsead toast at 2 hrs it was 7.5.

I have cut down on the vegetables I eat with dinner in the evening and my results have dropped, clearly my quantities have been too large.

'I am also just having 1 slice of bread with eggs for breakfast not two.

I think also I have been eating too much fruit, I realise now I can only ever eat 1 piece of fruit.

I was amazed to find after a turkey dinner with a smaller amount of veg and roasted veg that my reading was 6, goodness knows how that happened.

Thing is I noticed my weight as dropped a little and I really don't want to loose weight.