How much weight have YOU lost?

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I hit 20kg loss in just over a year - BG regularly now at 4.9 (was 16.1 on diagnosis)

HbA1c next week will give me my average since diagnosis (December) - which I am hoping will be below 7

Reactions: 6 people

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may also need to keep an eye on protein levels as well. I think recommended carbs for a ketogenic diet is well under 50g per day and more like 30. Protein I think is under 100g, but you should check. Sadly just getting a healthy bmi may only be half the job too. I'm 23 point something but still no breakthrough with BG levels.

Many thanks for this. I see that you are english/south east asian parentage, I am english/chinese parentage and I believe we have lower bmi thresholds.

Reactions: 2 people

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @vit90 - BG numbers are great - constantly 4's and 5's - no longer on meds and thankfully off insulin. HbA1c six months ago was 5.7 and just now in March 5.4.
I'll be brutally honest - I could do with losing a couple more kilos but starting to get a bit of saggy skin. BMI of 26.2 isn't so bad so happy to maintain my weight as it is. Been low carbing for nearly four months now and weight has stayed the same.

Cheers

Jim
Jim, you are my weight loss hero! Congratulations on getting your BG back to normal too and off meds and insulin! Amazing achievement. Well done.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jim, you are my weight loss hero! Congratulations on getting your BG back to normal too and off meds and insulin! Amazing achievement. Well done.
Thanks @Ellie-70

My bloods are still good and still maintaining my weight thanks to a low carb diet.

I'm about to embark on another Newcastle Diet period. Want to get down to a healthy BMI. Aiming to lose another 5 or 6kgs.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @vit90 - BG numbers are great - constantly 4's and 5's - no longer on meds and thankfully off insulin. HbA1c six months ago was 5.7 and just now in March 5.4.
I'll be brutally honest - I could do with losing a couple more kilos but starting to get a bit of saggy skin. BMI of 26.2 isn't so bad so happy to maintain my weight as it is. Been low carbing for nearly four months now and weight has stayed the same.

Cheers

Jim

I'm fortunate in a sense in that despite losing 21-22kg since my heaviest I have no saggy issues. But although my BMI is 23.7 currently I'm not yet seeing any breakthrough in BGs (getting consistently into the 4s), which have actually increased a bit in recent weeks, basically since halting the diet because of travels. Now aiming to get my BMI close to 22 or even lower if necessary after I get back from another trip next week. Could be another 4-6 weeks on 800 calories a day...

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
about a year and a half now ive gone from 16.10 to 12.0 St and i still seem to be loosing weight now im not entirely sure how to stop it. or when it might balance out this was mostly done via low carbing but im less strict than i was now and am still dropping weight

Reactions: 4 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm fortunate in a sense in that despite losing 21-22kg since my heaviest I have no saggy issues. But although my BMI is 23.7 currently I'm not yet seeing any breakthrough in BGs (getting consistently into the 4s), which have actually increased a bit in recent weeks, basically since halting the diet because of travels. Now aiming to get my BMI close to 22 or even lower if necessary after I get back from another trip next week. Could be another 4-6 weeks on 800 calories a day...
Lucky you with the no sagging. I was pretty big at just under 18 stone.

A BMI of 23.7 is pretty good and if your BG's are in the 4's then all is well.

You don't want to go too low.

I'd be more than happy with your figures.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky you with the no sagging. I was pretty big at just under 18 stone.

A BMI of 23.7 is pretty good and if your BG's are in the 4's then all is well.

You don't want to go too low.

I'd be more than happy with your figures.

Sorry if unclear - my average for FBGs has increased from 5.5 to 6.5 - so going backwards! 4s are the aim :)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
about a year and a half now ive gone from 16.10 to 12.0 St and i still seem to be loosing weight now im not entirely sure how to stop it. or when it might balance out this was mostly done via low carbing but im less strict than i was now and am still dropping weight

How are your BG levels and what's your BMI? I was almost 16 stone in 2006, then dropped to 13 1/2 stone over a period of about three years and stayed there until last summer and was diagnosed officially in November, by which time I had already sensed what was happening and started to lose more weight. I have now lost a stone and a half (now at 12 stone) since the summer but looks like I could have to lose another stone.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are your BG levels and what's your BMI? I was almost 16 stone in 2006, then dropped to 13 1/2 stone over a period of about three years and stayed there until last summer and was diagnosed officially in November, by which time I had already sensed what was happening and started to lose more weight. I have now lost a stone and a half (now at 12 stone) since the summer but looks like I could have to lose another stone.
Im a T 1 BMI is now sitting around 23, i had exilent control till about 6 months ago and have been having issues ever since, though it never spikes long enough to cause DKA or any of those symptoms

With the Weight Loss my Insulin Resistance has significantly decressed and continues to do so,im finding less and less insulin is required for the same carbs, issue being its a moving target.

Mikeyoungish1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im very proud to say after two months on orilstat for my weight, i have lost 2lbs hahaha, those pills nonsense but my doc thinks they are great.
They give me stomach ache & i get a oil leak after taking for more then three days, next im sure i will blow my exhaust gasket.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im a T 1 BMI is now sitting around 23, i had exilent control till about 6 months ago and have been having issues ever since, though it never spikes long enough to cause DKA or any of those symptoms

With the Weight Loss my Insulin Resistance has significantly decressed and continues to do so,im finding less and less insulin is required for the same carbs, issue being its a moving target.

Could you be an extreme T2 instead of T1 now you have lost weight?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vit - as I understand it, BMI recommendations differ across groups of the population, with Healthy BMI for those of "Asian" heritage having an upper ceiling of 23, so your genetics may mean you require a bit more trimming.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vit - as I understand it, BMI recommendations differ across groups of the population, with Healthy BMI for those of "Asian" heritage having an upper ceiling of 23, so your genetics may mean you require a bit more trimming.

Indeed, although I am quite tall for the area of Asia my mother is from and I have my (Anglo Saxon English) father's build rather than my south east Asian mother's. Nevertheless I do believe I need to get closer or even under a BMI of 22, so that could be as much as another stone off. Richard Doughty who wrote about his experience in the papers had a BMI of 21 before he started the Newcastle Diet but he only needed to lose 9 pounds and took just 11 days (he had previously lost a stone since diagnosis).

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you be an extreme T2 instead of T1 now you have lost weight?
Haha No, my Pancreas has had it in entirety, ive been T1 since i was 12, my background insulin has increased recently as well

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Started new diet. At last weigh in with surgery nurse last month I had lost 10.2kg in 5 months. It's hard work.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
small milestone for me today. 5 stone loss over 8 and a half months.
halfway to my goal. hopefully, will eventually get there within the next 12 months..:)

Reactions: 4 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now up to 32.3 kg lost with only 0.7 to go to reach my target weight - really happy with the progress and am now slowly increasing what I eat with a view to stabilising once I hit my target

IMG_0312.png

I'm down to a 34" waist and wearing medium clothes for the first time in ages, I've started jogging and playing squash for the first time in ages (plus my 5 a side is played about twice the speed it used to be!)

In a weird way, getting diagnosed as a T2 back in November has been the best thing that could have happened to me as it made me evaluate where I was with my health and once I switched to LCHF things just started getting better - weight fell off, energy increased and aches and pains disappeared and I haven't felt as well as I do now for at least 20 years.

Reactions: 8 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
small milestone for me today. 5 stone loss over 8 and a half months.
halfway to my goal. hopefully, will eventually get there within the next 12 months..:)

Fantastic - well done. A rather big milestone if you ask me :)