Cutting inappropriate blood glucose self-monitoring ‘could save NHS £20m’

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree to a degree.
If the doctor looks at the results of prescribing the strips and sees good results then keep the script going but if not what's the point?

I'm not sure we disagree. But I do see.the perspective of not prescribing Purely because the Nhs has a finite pot. I have my cassettes on repeat and I do benefit froom it.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I commented on this article back on April fools day and I could go on and on as for my sins I read the whole paper. Jees how depressing.

Any how - I'll throw this question out as the 3 areas in this group were all financially incentivised to reduce prescription costs. (though Newham costs increased)...

The data was collected from epact and does not distinguish between t1s and t2's.
T1s and t2's (on meds) are on free Perscription. Let's say that 50 glucorx strips cost £10 to the nhs (as it does for my local area).
Ok stop these guys test strips and that is a tenner saved per box. (the long term cost of this and long term complications has been covered before).
But if data collected as above then further to this what about those t2s on meds and those on diet and exercise only.
From my own perspective on diagnosis (Aug 2014) had the usual guff about the eat well malarkey and going on metfartin as the nhs want to aggressively attack bs levels at the start. I persuaded the DN that I could get my bs down with diet & exercise only after researching what was going on with my bod at the time. Terribly confusing time for me but will save that for another day and finally get to the point; thank god I hear you say.
.....so if I was part of this study and my strips were stopped. I pay £8 of the £10 prescription cost. So that's a £2 saving rather than a tenner.

Does the nhs therefore save the amount alleged?

Cheers.

Reactions: 6 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
.....so if I was part of this study and my strips were stopped. I pay £8 of the £10 prescription cost. So that's a £2 saving rather than a tenner.

Does the nhs therefore save the amount alleged?

Cheers.

Very good point, but I bet that the prescription charge income is not linked to the costs of drug prescriptions. So no-one knows. You would think that that would be a really obvious link to make so you can assess the real 'cost' of different drugs to the NHS. I feel confident betting my hat that that sort of basic financial management isn't in place....

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 7 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There are, on the NHSBAS website, a lot of spreadsheets of prescription medicines, the cost to the NHS and the number of items issued. All data that anyone can access and that you'd think an analyst in the NHS would be doing so.

Reactions: 2 people

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
Sorry but I don't agree and support MikeJ1973's view. To keep testing both before and after a meal seems pointless if you already know about that food or meal type. Do occasional sample testing but to do it regularly seems pointless. What is more important to avoid long-term damage is surely to test 2 hours after a meal fairly often to determine whether your medication, overall diet etc is affecting your blood sugar. It's important to know what the objective of any testing is bearing in mind cost to the NHS and the number of holes you want to make in your fingers!

Perhaps- but that isn't what we're talking about here. The blanket refusal of some practices to prescribe test strips is, simply, idiocy- and I'd add that the simplest way of sorting your objection would be to decide on "reasonable" levels of testing, preferably including a few extra strips for errors/ worries etc.

Reactions: 4 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Perhaps- but that isn't what we're talking about here. The blanket refusal of some practices to prescribe test strips is, simply, idiocy- and I'd add that the simplest way of sorting your objection would be to decide on "reasonable" levels of testing, preferably including a few extra strips for errors/ worries etc.
I am only on metformin and get strips prescribed. I only use about 3 pots per year if that. As a type 2 of 17 years standing, my GP has agreed to prescribe so that on occasions when I am unwell or feel strange, I can see what my bloods are doing. I know by now what effect foods have on me so do not test regularly. My HbA1c results are in the normal range. It was interesting to see someone who did well when using strips but not when strips were stopped. This appears to be a case of not using the meter to learn and remember - I can no longer test so I am going to forget what effects foods have on me! Our goal is self management and that, I am afraid, includes responsibility and restraint.

Just a few thoughts.

Regards

Doug

Reactions: 11 people

Val45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1448, @Spencer67 ? :D:D:D The year of free leeches for all ? :D

Signy
The issue that struck me in reading that was that test strips should not be issued to Type 2's " who are not at risk of hypoglycaemia "

That completely misses the point. From what I have read on here, hypoglycaemia is not what the majority are testing for anyway, it's the achievement of good BG figures . You simply can't tell what a person's overall control is like by an annual or biannual Hba1c . I also seems from that study that when meters and strips were prescribed, very little education was given in their use, so that was self defeating :rolleyes:

Cynical me also thinks their choice of location for the study would skew he projected savings for the NHS, given that these areas have the highest numbers of Type 2's in the country. :rolleyes:

Signy

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am only on metformin and get strips prescribed. I only use about 3 pots per year if that. As a type 2 of 17 years standing, my GP has agreed to prescribe so that on occasions when I am unwell or feel strange, I can see what my bloods are doing. I know by now what effect foods have on me so do not test regularly. My HbA1c results are in the normal range. It was interesting to see someone who did well when using strips but not when strips were stopped. This appears to be a case of not using the meter to learn and remember - I can no longer test so I am going to forget what effects foods have on me! Our goal is self management and that, I am afraid, includes responsibility and restraint.

Just a few thoughts.

Regards

Doug
Agreed.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's the reply from Mp.

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your further email.

If re-elected I will of course be happy to look in to the issues you raise about glucose metres and would just ask that you drop me a line and perhaps we could meet in a surgery if I am the MP.

Thank you for getting in touch.

Best wishes,

This could be interesting.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Just a few thoughts.

Regards

Doug
True Doug

However.

I am t2 on diet and exercise alone. I will be coming up to my 1st anniversary this August. I would gladly not test if I didn't feel it was appropriate in my personal situation. I already self fund the vast majority of test strips and believe that the £12 cost incurred to the nhs per year (1 box per 2 months at a tenner minus my prescription payment - £8) is a good investment on controlling my diabetes and avoiding complications down the line.

We are all different and I think that the concern is over a blanket ban on t2 self testing based on poor research and not on an individual assessment.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's the reply from Mp.

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your further email.

If re-elected I will of course be happy to look in to the issues you raise about glucose metres and would just ask that you drop me a line and perhaps we could meet in a surgery if I am the MP.

Thank you for getting in touch.

Best wishes,

This could be interesting.
On one hand isn't it great that you have someone willing to fight your cause.

On the other....

Doesn't your heart bleed for this poor mp having to pamper for votes.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
True Doug

However.

I am t2 on diet and medicine alone. I will be coming up to my 1st anniversary this August. I would gladly not test if I didn't feel it was appropriate in my personal situation. I already self fund the vast majority of test strips and believe that the £12 cost incurred to the nhs per year (1 box per 2 months at a tenner minus my prescription payment - £8) is a good investment on controlling my diabetes and avoiding complications down the line.

We are all different and I think that the concern is over a blanket ban on t2 self testing based on poor research and not on an individual assessment.

Cheers
Are you on diabetic medication but still paying for your prescriptions?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
True Doug

However.

I am t2 on diet and medicine alone. I will be coming up to my 1st anniversary this August. I would gladly not test if I didn't feel it was appropriate in my personal situation. I already self fund the vast majority of test strips and believe that the £12 cost incurred to the nhs per year (1 box per 2 months at a tenner minus my prescription payment - £8) is a good investment on controlling my diabetes and avoiding complications down the line.

Cheers
Hi Baruney

Indeed, the imposition of a blanket ban would not be appropriate. But for type 2s at no risk of hypo who have been diagnosed for some time, what are the tests being used for? If I know the effect on my body of eating a particular food, then what is the purpose of testing having eaten it?

Regards

Doug

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on diabetic medication but still paying for your prescriptions?
Hi @Daphne917

Thank you for pointing that out - should have read exercise. Have edited. On diagnosis the DN was keen to start people on metfartin as default. I wanted to lchf and exercise after reading up about diabetes.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Baruney

Indeed, the imposition of a blanket ban would not be appropriate. But for type 2s at no risk of hypo who have been diagnosed for some time, what are the tests being used for? If I know the effect on my body of eating a particular food, then what is the purpose of testing having eaten it?

Regards

Doug
Agreed Doug, as previously stated.

But, unfortunately I do believe it would be easier for surgeries to impose a blanket ban in the near future rather than not and my own surgery is having a meeting on this in May. From the way the DN talked about it it was already a done deal.

Anyhow the reason that many people on here utilise their meters (test on food and exercise) is not the reason strips are prescribed - it is for testing when feeling unwell.

It is easier for the nhs to continue to hand out bad dietary advice and put people on drugs than get to the real root of the problem. The nhs diet is not a healthy diet for diabetics.

All IMHO of course which is what this forum is for.

Cheers.

M

mojo37

save 20mil now and spend 100mil late on complications :(
Exactly they keep moaning about how much diabetic complications are costing and how this is set to rise and yet when people want to help themselves by testing its actively discouraged ( re costs of strips ) yet meds are handed out no probs :mad:

M

mojo37

And yet you can get nicotine patches etc to help quit smoking ( and no I'm not having a go at smokers ;) )

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
And yet you can get nicotine patches etc to help quit smoking ( and no I'm not having a go at smokers ;) )

Exactly they keep moaning about how much diabetic complications are costing and how this is set to rise and yet when people want to help themselves by testing its actively discouraged ( re costs of strips ) yet meds are handed out no probs :mad:
They only hand out patches for two weeks supply is what I have been told, my mum is 89 years young tomorrow she went into hospital two years ago to have a third of ehr lung removed due to cancer, yes she has smoked all her life she stopped for the operation but is back on the fags again I took her to her Doctors surgery to see if she could get help with stopping again and they said she could have two lots free the rest she would havee to pay for..her being the age she is I don't think she wants to stop ......as many others would like to but can not :wideyed:

Strips in my opinion is a must, it is the only way we can try and control our levels...I know I get tired of testing but hate to think what my levels would eb with out strips :woot:

lindyp50

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Perhaps someone with a bit of diabetes street cred could petition the parmos to cut the cost of the test strips i know i'd sign it. I foresee a huge problem that the pharmos are exploiting by milking the nhs for all its cash via the back door of the current diabetes epidemic, most medicines we take for granted as diabetics are largely quite expensive and if the nhs was to crumble and the support was gone what would we do? The NHS has only been about since 1948, Cameron could have it blown out of the water by this next election.

"We rely on the NHS at the best and worst moments of our life" I signed this petition today its just the start of the specter of privatisation,
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/party-leaders-keep-the-nhs-free#petition If you haven't already signed it you may need too consider it before the next election.