LCHF?

Sparklysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone please explain the principles of this diet? - I am trying to get my sugar levels under control, after too many years of restricting my insulin. Yesterday was my "day 1" and even though I've been diabetic (type 1) for 16 years - it appears I have absolutely no idea of what to do :confused:
Are there any examples of meal choices I can check out? I want to crack this and be strong and healthy - it's taken me weeks to even pluck up the courage to join this site - let alone to admit what I've done to myself all these years :sorry: - so I'm hoping some one can point me in the right direction

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I'm sure others will point out a good starting point for LCHF is the excellent site at www.dietdoctor.com

Pretty much everything you need to know is on here - sit down with a cuppa and have a good read :)

Lots of information, success stories, blogs, details, suggested recipes

Sparklysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I'm sure others will point out a good starting point for LCHF is the excellent site at www.dietdoctor.com

Pretty much everything you need to know is on here - sit down with a cuppa and have a good read :)

Lots of information, success stories, blogs, details, suggested recipes
Thanks - I will definitely check it out - :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm aussie too :) first I'd get off to an endo, get everything checked out..have you had your bloods, foot, eye and teeth checks? it's going to shock you the trouble the diabetics have with medical care in the UK

are you on mixed or basal bolus?
I'm t2 but from reading here the first thing I would do is 'miss a meal' and overnight basal tests
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120
http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

the principals are little or no starches and sugars and make up the lost energy with 'full-fat' dietary fats/oils..less carbs = less insulin = smaller mistakes :)

Sparklysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm aussie too :) first I'd get off to an endo, get everything checked out..have you had your bloods, foot, eye and teeth checks? it's going to shock you the trouble the diabetics have with medical care in the UK

are you on mixed or basal bolus?
I'm t2 but from reading here the first thing I would do is 'miss a meal' and overnight basal tests
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120
http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

the principals are little or no starches and sugars and make up the lost energy with 'full-fat' dietary fats/oils..less carbs = less insulin = smaller mistakes :)
I will get everything checked - my doctor has given me appointments to make - but I have not made them - as I haven't wanted to have any one know how I've been living - but I feel more inspired to sort stuff out
I'm on basal bolus - novorapid and lantus
The Diet Doctor website is very interesting - it looks like something I could cope with

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you aren't the first one to mess up and you won't be the last..they have people every day in your shoes.
sometimes it just gets all too hard and you pull the doona up over your head.

it's a hard life having bacon and eggs with fried mushrooms and a dob of real butter for breakfast, not everyone can cope with it :)
getting over the "fat will kill you' we had for the last 50 years is the hardest part
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/How-To-Overcome-Fat-Phobia.htm

I found the first week sucked, the carbs don't give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
basal and bolus will make LCHF easier, the T1's are asleep at the moment, but they will be online tonight..
how are you going, have you been able to BG test and take your basal shots?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
basal and bolus will make LCHF easier, the T1's are asleep at the moment, but they will be online tonight..
how are you going, have you been able to BG test and take your basal shots?

No I'm not :D

Signy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, @Sparklysue , do you carb count for your Novorapid ? Or just take a look at the food and think " that looks like a 6 ? ;)

If you count, you should have an idea of how many grams you are having daily.

What's your BG numbers like ?

Signy

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In a LCHF diet you restrict your intake of starchy and sugary carbohydrates that raise blood glucose levels, and replace some of the energy you no longer get from them by increasing the quantity of fats and protein you eat to make up the shortfall. For many type 2 diabetics eating a low carbohydrate diet is one of the main ways for them to control and lower their otherwise high glucose levels. For type 1s their insulin injections are the main way that they control their levels, but reducing their carbs means that they may then be able to lower their doses of insulin, so you may need to discuss changing to a LCHF diet with your diabetic team.

Checking nutritional labelling on food packaging will give you carbohydrate content (the lower the better!) , and having a browse through our low carb recipes and the "What have you eaten today?" threads will give you some ideas for eating LCHF.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I will get everything checked - my doctor has given me appointments to make - but I have not made them - as I haven't wanted to have any one know how I've been living - but I feel more inspired to sort stuff out
I'm on basal bolus - novorapid and lantus
The Diet Doctor website is very interesting - it looks like something I could cope with

If you start on a LCHF diet you need to be aware that you will need to reduce your insulin doses accordingly otherwise you will likely to have hypo's, so try reducing your bolus doses by half or two thirds to start off with and then test your postprandial bg levels after to see what results you get, after which you can increase/decrease your bolus dose, you might also find you will need to split-dose for such meals as the slow breakdown of protein and fat can have delayed effect on bg levels so a second injection covers the delayed rise, by trial & error you will find out how much insulin you need and when to inject. Good luck.