Free Prescriptions - How long does the card take to arrive?

FZ1

Hi Folks,

Sorry about such a trivial question, but I filled out a form to get free prescriptions and left it with the GP surgery some time ago to bung my NHS number on it and send it off.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for the card to arrive? I'm not shy when it comes to "chasing" for it, but I don't want to start making a nuisance of myself if the process takes a while.

Many thanks,

Jon

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Free Prescriptions - ow long does the "card" take to arrive?

Hi Jon.

When I applied for the card it took about two weeks, this was in the West Midlands. If you pay for any prescriptions in the meantime there is a system whereby you can claim that back once you have the exemption card.

Woulkdn't hurt to ask the Practice Manager if it has been sent off though ?

Ken.

FZ1

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the advice and for the tip about reclaiming the payments. I think I'll pop in on my way past the practice just to check its been sent as you suggest.

Cheers,

Jon

Thirsty

I had to try twice to receive the card, as the first application was lost in the bowels of the NHS. I know others have had the same problem. Has anyone ever been asked to produce the card by a pharmacy? I haven't.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Are you talking about the medical exemption certificate? I've only been asked for it once in 8 years. You should be able to get your meds without it. I've had mine from Asda, Boots and many local pharms, not an issue.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is the link with information as to how to obtain the Medical Exemption Card.
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/2095.aspx

Unfortunately Chris if you are diet only then it doesn't apply to you. :(
First sign of Diabetic Medication and you are in. :D

Ken.

deadwood2

cugila said:
First sign of Diabetic Medication and you are in. :D

Ken.

Unless your GP plays the "I think it only applies if you're on insulin" card. As mine did. Part of the problem is that the forms themselves are kept closely guarded and cannot (so far as I know) be downloaded. You need to get hold of a form by asking at reception ("Doctor said I needed a FP92A for diabetes") and then pointing out the bl**ding obvious.

Can't see a downloadable version - and since the latest revision the national helpless service website, any reference to the form, other than in Polish...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Dave.

This is the address and helpline number if there are any problems in obtaining the form. I too thought that there wasa downloadable version but it seems to have vanished ?

NHS Business Services Authority
Help With Health Costs
Medical Exemption
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE2 1DB

If you have any queries, you can call the enquiry line on 0845 601 8076. I believe they can send out a form to you. There is then the little matter of getting a GP to sign the form.

Ken

Thirsty

aphex2k said:
Are you talking about the medical exemption certificate? I've only been asked for it once in 8 years. You should be able to get your meds without it. I've had mine from Asda, Boots and many local pharms, not an issue.

Yes, that's what I meant, although as far as I'm aware the card is all you get. It seems a great waste of resources issuing the things if nobody needs to see them...

Aadrgon

Thirsty said:
I had to try twice to receive the card, as the first application was lost in the bowels of the NHS

If that card ever turns up - disinfect it before using :lol: :lol:

no1demon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its all well and good downloading the form but you cannot send it of your doctor has to sign it and send it of for you

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, I had to collect form from GP after they'd signed it. and post it myself, a couple of years ago when I needed to renew. I'm pretty sure GP must have had a few forms going to same place, and could afford a stamp, but I still had to collect & send it myself.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to try twice to receive the card, as the first application was lost in the bowels of the NHS. I know others have had the same problem. Has anyone ever been asked to produce the card by a pharmacy? I haven't.
My local phamarcy always writes my card number on the back of my prescription when I collect my pills.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Its all well and good downloading the form but you cannot send it of your doctor has to sign it and send it of for you

A practice nurse can sign the form too so it doesn't have to be a Dr.

no1demon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A practice nurse can sign the form too so it doesn't have to be a Dr.
i have just applied for mine and they had to have the doctor sign it and authorise it to be sent of which they are doing and said its approximately 2 weeks before it arrives