Newly diagnosed and in a panic

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Interesting to hear about thinning hair - that's been happening to me. I will start B12 immediately and order the Carbs and Cals book from Amazon. I hope when I see my own GP next week, rather than his rubbish partner, I can get to see a consultant. I think the horrible GP had his nose out of joint because the hospital told me to make an urgent GP appointment and get him to do the tests again.
Don't panic about the hair loss, it happened to me, which was very alarming, but since I've now got my bg levels in the target range, the hair loss has stopped. Strangely enough, when I asked my DSN if hair loss was due to high bg levels, she just looked blank and said she didn't know. My diabetic team have been marvellous, but now and again there's a gap in their knowledge.

Reactions: 2 people

Poppy62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Weird question, but is irritability a symptom? I have been very ratty recently and seem to be taking everything the wrong way. I feel sorry for my poor husband!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
We're all different and high bg levels affect us in different ways. I was very tired and "couldn't be bothered" most of the time, but irritability could be a side effect. I'm sure someone will be along soon to say they felt like you.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone, am beginning to feel calmer now. The on-call doctor yesterday said it was definitely diabetes but wouldn't say which kind. I'm 62 so aren't I too old for Type !? Have ordered a finger click kit which will come tomorrow and am keeping my appointment with my 'good' GP for Tuesday. I will also make an appointment with the nurse. And will never go near the other doctor again! It looks like there is lots of support here luckily.

No definitely not too old to be diagnosed type 1 at 62. I was in my 60s when my GP confirmed high ketones and dispatched me off to A&E to be admitted for treatment.

Weevelvet113

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't panic about the hair loss, it happened to me, which was very alarming, but since I've now got my bg levels in the target range, the hair loss has stopped. Strangely enough, when I asked my DSN if hair loss was due to high bg levels, she just looked blank and said she didn't know. My diabetic team have been marvellous, but now and again there's a gap in their knowledge.

Hi there
I'm a recently diagnosed type 1 (dec 2014) & had same symptoms... My doc was, in fairness, totally on the ball & I was admitted to hospital for a few days & started on insulin.
I noticed that my hair was falling out 2 months after diagnosis & to be honest I found this just as stressful.
When I asked my diabetic team if this was related to the diabetes, they just looked at me blankly...my doc said it was prob my age (46)... Anyway I did some research & discovered that a deficiency in vitamin B12 is directly related to hair loss.. I spoke to my doc about it & persuaded him to prescribe b12 injections (he's great). I couldn't believe that a few days after my first injection, my hair stopped falling out!!!
I get one shot a fortnight for 3 months.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weird question, but is irritability a symptom? I have been very ratty recently and seem to be taking everything the wrong way. I feel sorry for my poor husband!
yep high bg alters your mood plus the stress of being diagnosed diabetic.
I'd cut all starches and sugars for now till it's sorted

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid at 62 you are not too old to be Type 1 :(
I was 60 years old on diagnosis and GP said that I MUST BE type because of my age. I was NOT overweight and was passed to DSN in surgery who just put me on 1 x 500mg tablet and told to come back in 2 weeks for blood test. However, within that time I ended up in A&E with high sugars and ketones. Was admitted and immediately put on insulin and stayed on insulin ever since...I'm type 1 regardless of age. From all the posts I've read on this site I'm glad to be type 1 as I seem to have more control in what I eat and can adjust my meal/insulin ratio depending on what I intend to do i.e. DIY etc.as my BSs DROP like s stone when I do activities using my arms more so than walking. I'd advise that you go back to A&E if your blood sugars are still high and you'll probably still have ketones. Llodys chemist do blood sugar testing.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As others have said, you can be a Late onset T1 at any age. The indicator is losing weight at diagnosis and not being overweight anyway. The reason is that the pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin, the body starts burning fat (ketones) and you can't use the carbs you eat. The NHS is not good at distinguishing T1 from T2 when older. The Glicazide is a good start point and that together with a low-carb diet should help. Hopefully the Gliclazide will help and the dose can be changed if needed. I found this worked for a while for me but eventually I needed to go onto insulin which I was really pleased with as it gives me total control and is not a problem; I wouldn't be without it. So, whatever happens there is a suitable treatment approach. Just kieep the carbs down and let things settle and discuss treatment options with the better GP.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi there
I'm a recently diagnosed type 1 (dec 2014) & had same symptoms... My doc was, in fairness, totally on the ball & I was admitted to hospital for a few days & started on insulin.
I noticed that my hair was falling out 2 months after diagnosis & to be honest I found this just as stressful.
When I asked my diabetic team if this was related to the diabetes, they just looked at me blankly...my doc said it was prob my age (46)... Anyway I did some research & discovered that a deficiency in vitamin B12 is directly related to hair loss.. I spoke to my doc about it & persuaded him to prescribe b12 injections (he's great). I couldn't believe that a few days after my first injection, my hair stopped falling out!!!
I get one shot a fortnight for 3 months.
I too was found to be lacking in B12 and put on Folic acid tabs for a month. Green leafy veg are supposed to help too, so spinach, curly kale, watercress and anything else I can think of are being shovelled in !!! My hair is thickening up now, so I guess I'm probably ok, but I have another blood test booked for July along with the usual HBA1c.

Poppy62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I have just bought a finger prick test gadget (sorry, don't yet know the right words!). On Tuesday, in the blood test done by the GP, the reading was 25.3, the following day in the hospital (after 2 doses of glyclazide) it was 23, I have just done it and it is 18.3. I will try again later in case I didn't do it right.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Poppy, well done on getting a meter :)

Make sure your fingers are perfectly clean and dry - any speck of dirt or grease will affect the numbers (I'm sure your hands are clean, just saying!).

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
You sound more like the symptoms of type 1 like myself when do you get full results back

Poppy62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
You sound more like the symptoms of type 1 like myself when do you get full results back
I get the results back on Tuesday - this time I will be seeing my own GP, not the horrible one. At least the numbers are coming down.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Poppy62,
Just as @jack412 says, you would do well to cut right back on starches and sugars for the time being until you have been given a final diagnosis. If you have Type 1 diabetes gliclazide won't really be much of a help. The body turns all carbohydrate (starches/sugars) into glucose:
less carbohydrate eaten = lower blood glucose levels.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if I got stomach pains, cramps, feel sick or vomit ..over the weekend with high BG, ...it would be a good idea for me to get to hospital, it's common for T1's to have a bit of DKA symptoms when diagnosed.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/tc/diabetic-ketoacidosis-dka-topic-overview
  • Flushed, hot, dry skin.
  • Blurred vision.
  • Feeling thirsty and urinating a lot.
  • Drowsiness or difficulty waking up. Young children may lack interest in their normal activities.
  • Rapid, deep breathing.
  • A strong, fruity breath odor.
  • Loss of appetite, belly pain, and vomiting.
  • Confusion.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Irritability is definitely a common side effect of high blood sugar. Get your blood sugar down and you will be a happier person, and make your husband a happy man. :)

Also, diagnosis of a major disease is a big shock and that can make you behave unusually for a while. Hopefully that will pass.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get the results back on Tuesday - this time I will be seeing my own GP, not the horrible one. At least the numbers are coming down.
If the numbers are coming down on Gliclazide, without insulin, then probably the hospital GP made the right judgement call and you are T2 rather than T1.

( Personally if it was me and someone presented with BG in the high 20s, I would give a cautious one off insulin injection to bring the BG down into a normal range first. Then gliclazide or whatever. Then, not only would the patient be immediately better off, we would be able to see more evidence, more quickly, of whether the patient had their own insulin function still, or not. But really, GADA and C-peptide tests every time.)

Yehaw

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
That's going in the right direction :) that pretty good as our before breakfast numbers tend to be high

Have you changed what you are eating? Or do you think it's the glic lowering your number?

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
DONT PANIC MR MANNERING , sorry couldn't resist that , but really it sounds like you had similar help to me and please don't panic , I think at the moment a lot of doctors have this attitude towards diabetes keep on looking at the forum, people on here will try to help you if they can good luck although you won't need it . You will get there and it will get clearer promise JJ